Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2019, 02:58 PM

I'm off to the Atha B/Berland tomorrow for some white action.

Best way we found in the rivers: Piece of coat hanger bent to a V(have to size it to the rivers flow). Tie your line to it. Go up 2 ft and tie on your Fly. We use the scnelled Hook style with a fly that already has a leader and a loop on it.

That coat hanger will bounce along the rocks keeping your hook in the zone. Still gets hung up but not as quick as a nail will.

No maggots allowed where we are going
Old 09-30-2019, 01:20 PM

hey zip.....will the white mive into the shallows at sylvan to the point u can sight fish them? liken6 FOW?

happy
Old 09-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
hey zip.....will the white mive into the shallows at sylvan to the point u can sight fish them? liken6 FOW?

happy
I’ve gone sight fishing for whitefish at sylvan in the shallows in the middle of summer, just need to wake up early and beat the crowds on a calm day
Old 09-30-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:

happy
Maybe, but don't know for sure, haven't been out it's been windy & cold/snowing here just like your place. Scott & I are hoping to get out on the weekend, will let you know.

Taken the other day ....

D.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:05 PM

Anyone fish for whites in rattle snake in the fall by Medicine Hat
Old 10-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebuck View Post
Anyone fish for whites in rattle snake in the fall by Medicine Hat
In the spring I've had luck at rattlesnake lake fishing off the west dam for whitefish using slip bobber and wire worm. Never had much luck catching them in the fall however.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsoncanadian View Post
In the spring I've had luck at rattlesnake lake fishing off the west dam for whitefish using slip bobber and wire worm. Never had much luck catching them in the fall however.
Nov. same place, same bait.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM

Drove down Lakeshore Drive in Sylvan this am .... the lake was steaming like a kettle, water temps are dropping, Whites should be more active this weekend.

D.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Last Saturday. Sure can tell the difference without maggots lol. But so nice to be back to one of my favorite places since the closure. Grayling were biting too and one in our group caught a nice Rainbow as well.

jpg.gif Sept 28th-Edson side.jpg (80.7 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th-Fox Creek Side.jpg (49.0 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th-Grayling.jpg (56.5 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th-Something coming.jpg (23.7 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th-Fishin in Snow.jpg (35.4 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th-That's better.jpg (62.1 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th-Couple for supper.jpg (80.4 KB)
jpg.gif Sept 28th- snow line.jpg (54.2 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-Edson side.jpg (80.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-Fox Creek Side.jpg (49.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-Grayling.jpg (56.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-Something coming.jpg (23.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-Fishin in Snow.jpg (35.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-That's better.jpg (62.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th-Couple for supper.jpg (80.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Sept 28th- snow line.jpg (54.2 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Sooner; 10-02-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:

happy

Happy ... went out today from 2:30 - 4:30, southeast wind didn't help only 2 Walleye, Whites don't appear to be in the shallows yet.

D.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Sylvan looks beautifully clear.

Drewski
Old 10-03-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:

happy
Hard to see them in 6. I'm usually sight fishing them in 3-4 FOW.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 PM

They have to be there Zip. I'm going to put the hurt to em this weekend!
Old 10-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Sylvan looks beautifully clear.

Drewski
Was just thinking that. After my experience at the slough that is Pine Lake last weekend, I'm pretty excited to be on Sylvan on Sunday. That's gonna be a lot nicer...
Old 10-05-2019, 03:46 PM

Oct 05th - Sylvan Whitecaps and Whites .... stayed home not a great day, 2:00 pm, Wind WNW 38 gust 49 km/h .... hope tomorrow's a better day.

A few pic's, enjoy.

D.

If this is your boat you need to rescue it.

This guy is having fun!

Old 10-06-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Nov. same place, same bait.
Thanks I’ll try an get out there in November
Old 10-07-2019, 11:18 PM

Got out in my pontoon yesterday at Sylvan, beautiful dead calm morning. Saw a white in 2 FOW near the lighthouse which shocked me being so shallow. I wish I brought my bow lol.

That was the only white I saw for the entire morning though, picked up a bunch of healthy walleyes all over from 6-12 FOW through out the day on a gold and red clouser streamer.

Only managed one white near the rocks in about 5 FOW later in the afternoon on a red wire worm when it got choppy. Another guy in a small float tube told my wife and son on shore he saw some around the rocks closer to shore. If that person is on here, thank you for the tip, I would have been skunked otherwise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191006_102827.jpg (134.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191006_192418.jpg (87.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebuck View Post
Thanks I’ll try an get out there in November
The closer it is to ice up, the more fish there are. They are staging to spawn and spawning at that time of year.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Got out in my pontoon yesterday at Sylvan, beautiful dead calm morning. Saw a white in 2 FOW near the lighthouse which shocked me being so shallow. I wish I brought my bow lol.

That was the only white I saw for the entire morning though, picked up a bunch of healthy walleyes all over from 6-12 FOW through out the day on a gold and red clouser streamer.

Only managed one white near the rocks in about 5 FOW later in the afternoon on a red wire worm when it got choppy. Another guy in a small float tube told my wife and son on shore he saw some around the rocks closer to shore. If that person is on here, thank you for the tip, I would have been skunked otherwise
Sling-S ... was wondering if that was you, I had a nice chat with the kid/wife, since you had a W/T, I suggested you give it a try, had a few hit my jig in that area but never got any to hook up, I think it's still a bit early, things should pick-up next week after this cold/snow.

Edit: ... I did catch a bunch of nice walleye, that was fun.

D.

Nice Set-up.

This morning (Oct 08th) no one golfing today.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Does anyone have any experience fishing lake whites in creeks during the spawn, Ive yet to figure out something that they’ll actually bite right now.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Sling-S ... was wondering if that was you, I had a nice chat with the kid/wife, since you had a W/T, I suggested you give it a try, had a few hit my jig in that area but never got any to hook up, I think it's still a bit early, things should pick-up next week after this cold/snow.

Edit: ... I did catch a bunch of nice walleye, that was fun.

D.
Cool, I thought that might have been you judging from the setup I saw. Was thinking of drifting close to say hi but didn't want to intrude in case you were slamming the whites like you normally do

How do you manage to spot the whites while sitting in the tube? I was finding it hard to see anything past 4 FOW even standing on my pontoon.

I left my pontoon all setup and ready to go, thinking of one more trip on Sat if the weather holds up.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The closer it is to ice up, the more fish there are. They are staging to spawn and spawning at that time of year.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM

I'm up here in Yellowknife and everyone kept telling me about a spot I have to get out to for whitefish by some rapids on the Yellowknife river. I have never caught (or even targeted) whitefish in open water before, only ice fishing. My kids have never caught whitefish at all. I've been taking them there the last few weekends now.

The spot everyone referred me to is absolutely amazing and looks like something out of a National Geographic's magazine. The first time out we hooked into a few fish but only managed to land one. Both my 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son did have some on the line though and had now caught the fever. It took a little while to teach them the finesse of landing these soft mouthed fish as they were more used to just hauling in pike. We went again last weekend and both my daughter and son each landed some of their own with us taking home a total of 11. We cooked some up fresh and everyone enjoyed the rewards of their efforts.

My son was tied up this weekend but my daughter insisted we go again. Caught these (plus one more that we hooked right when leaving) yesterday with my daughter getting half of them herself. Even more than the great fishing, I'm excited about how much this experience has caused my kids to want to go out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitefish_oct_2019.jpg (68.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 10-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
I'm up here in Yellowknife and everyone kept telling me about a spot I have to get out to for whitefish by some rapids on the Yellowknife river. I have never caught (or even targeted) whitefish in open water before, only ice fishing. My kids have never caught whitefish at all. I've been taking them there the last few weekends now.

The spot everyone referred me to is absolutely amazing and looks like something out of a National Geographic's magazine. The first time out we hooked into a few fish but only managed to land one. Both my 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son did have some on the line though and had now caught the fever. It took a little while to teach them the finesse of landing these soft mouthed fish as they were more used to just hauling in pike. We went again last weekend and both my daughter and son each landed some of their own with us taking home a total of 11. We cooked some up fresh and everyone enjoyed the rewards of their efforts.

My son was tied up this weekend but my daughter insisted we go again. Caught these (plus one more that we hooked right when leaving) yesterday with my daughter getting half of them herself. Even more than the great fishing, I'm excited about how much this experience has caused my kids to want to go out.

PERFECT!

Love these posts!

BW
Old 10-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Really nice lookin whites there New2elk. Thanks for sharing I bet the kids had fun.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 PM

Oct 16th - Sylvan - got out for a couple hours this afternoon, worked the shallows - nothing - moved out a bit deeper in 7-8 fow over rock rubble bottom and started to get a few Walleye & one nice White. Wind picked up & it was a struggle trying to stay in the zone, dropped anchor that helped & picked up a few more Walleye and another White. Then the clouds disappeared & sun came out it got warm (17C) but windy had a few hits but the fishing declined.

I started the following thread last year .... "Sylvan Lake Float tube Whites" .... my first post was Oct 17th 2018 .... the Whites just started moving into the shallows, the fishing picked up right up to Oct 30th, hopefully this year will be similar, so get out and have some fun with Whites. Link ... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=353179

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
How do you manage to spot the whites while sitting in the tube? I was finding it hard to see anything past 4 FOW even standing on my pontoon.

I fished that area last year with success, as well seen a White rise and pick off a spider on the surface, today, nothing.

A few pic's from today.

D.

1/32 oz head & 1" Mr. Twister Tiny Tail

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-16-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Made it out to Sylvan last weekend. There were some in the shallows but not much. Weird year. Managed 3 to the boat. One that was just over 2 lbs for my buddy and I got a couple of the usual size in. We lost a few as well. Not a bust not nothing to get too worked up over either. I'll be back on the hard water

Good luck out there white hunting all!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Mr Snap .... was wondering if you made it out, tks for the update.

D.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Oct 18th - Sylvan - Went out at 4:00 pm, was less than 100 yds out from shore, little to no wind, 3rd cast in 4 fow, got a nice White. Worked the area, nothing else, went deeper got a Walleye then had another White but lost it. Cold front moved in with rain, big wind was lucky to have oars & headed back to shore. Sat on the dock for a bit the sun came out wind was down so went back out until the next black cloud moved in, got hit with wind/rain & wet snow ... disappointed, headed home.

D.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:57 PM

Oct 19th
- Sylvan ..... BTY Day, no wind nice & warm, spent a couple hours out but got blanked .... had a few hits watched a White follow my Mr. Twister up to my F-tube but wouldn't commit ... thinkin of going back to duck hunting.

Slingshotz was out with his family, watched him land a nice White, hope we get an update.

D.