Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

Default Just lost respect for the RCMP

So...last Monday (Sept 9) my kid buys a new (to him) car.
Get the insurance sorted out and switches the plate from his old vehicle to the new with the intention of getting the registration sorted out this week.
RCMP stopped him on the Henday yesterday because when randomly running the plate it didn't come up with the car he was driving.
Showed the cop the insurance and explained that he was getting the registration today...seven days after purchase and within the two week grace period...as stated by the Highway Traffic Safety act.
The cop told him that was wrong, the AMA who told him he had two weeks was wrong and issued him a $600 ticket.
I called the Sherwood Park RCMP and they too told me there was no grace period...everyone who thought so (including the Alberta Government I guess) is wrong.
Talked to a friend who is a Staff Sargent with EPS and his exact words were...'that cop is an idiot'...that at most EPS would have issued a warning with the provision my kid show up at an EPS station with proof he got the registration completed.
It does appear the RCMP do think they are gods.
So we'll lose a days pay to show up in court to have this thrown out.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:26 AM

EPS once stopped me for driving a truck with a plate for a different vehicle about a week after purchase also, good insurance and plate still registered with bill of sale on me. They didn't give me a ticket but did tell me straight to my face it's not an official 14 day grace period but just some leeway they provide to people, which confounded me because like you said, Alta Govt legislation says 14 day grace period. Didn't argue with him since they didn't give me a ticket but ridiculous the cops don't know about it.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 AM

You can't lose respect for the entire organization because one of their officers wrote an incorrect ticket that you can likely have revoked by the court ahead of the appearance date.

https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx

"You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate."

did he have the other docs with him?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Legislation please then send a copy to the NCO in charge at the detachment for review and possible withdrawal

wow common sense from me on a Monday good show
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
You can't lose respect for the entire organization because one of their officers wrote an incorrect ticket that you can likely have revoked by the court ahead of the appearance date.

https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx

"You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate."

did he have the other docs with him?
Uhh...considering the High River gun grab, the intelligence release fiasco of the last few days...they don't have a lot to recommend them...if you ask me.
Over the years I've been stopped a number of time for check stops and the such. I always take the attitude that being respectful goes a long way and have never had an issue with EPS.
In the last couple of years I've been through an RCMP check stop and once for a liquor check at a campground...both times treated like I was guilty until I proved myself innocent.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:48 AM

my opinion is likely no different than yours in relation to the rcmp, but, an incorrect ticket isn't the reason
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the club! Of all the detachments I have had the "privilege" of working with I can say the Sherwood Park one is by far the worst out there.

Honestly though let this go through the court system. Make sure you get the new registration completed and take that to court. Personally I would not ask the duty counsel to withdraw the ticket but instead plead not guilty and ask the officer in court why he issued the ticket. Once the officer is embarrassed and the ticket gets thrown out(assuming he shows up in the first place) I would then file a formal complaint with his duty sargent and with the Professional Standards Division. The Sherwood Park Division is part of "K" Division. If the judge comments on the officers stupidity you can obtain a written transcription for a small fee that may be of use too you should the officer feel the need to pick on your son at a later date ( a common thing in Sherwood Park).Make sure you quote Section 86 of the Highway Traffic Act to show you know what your talking about.
Really it has been my experience that the only way the RC's ever learn is to get their peepee slapped by their own.

Quote:
Transfer of plates
86(1) If ownership of a private passenger vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may operate, or permit another person to operate, the newly acquired motor vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another private passenger vehicle.
(2) If ownership of a commercial vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may drive, or permit another person to drive, the newly acquired vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another vehicle of the same class of commercial vehicle.
(3) The licence plate may be displayed on the newly acquired vehicle for not more than 14 days from the date its ownership passes to the new owner if the new owner intends (a) to apply to register the vehicle, and
(b) to have the displayed licence plate reissued for use on the vehicle.
(4) The owner or operator of the vehicle shall carry
(a) proof of ownership of the newly acquired vehicle,
(b) a valid financial responsibility card relating to the vehicle, and (c) proof that the licence plate is issued in respect of a vehicle registered as owned by that owner.
(5) A person to whom a licence plate is issued may apply to the Registrar to transfer the plate to another vehicle to be registered in the applicant’s name if the application is made within 14 days after the applicant becomes the owner of the other vehicle

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 AM

"Just lost respect for the rcmp"

Everyone else is thinking
"Only just now?"
Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 AM
Banned

It’s not about the RCMP, the EPS, F&W or CRA, it’s anyone in a position of power. There are a number of reasons for choosing a profession, it’s when you have a sadistic person in a position of power they will use it to satisfy their personal sadistic needs. There is always an allowance for discretion, some people just get a sense of enjoyment out of inflicting pain on others. Unfortunately there is no screening that will keep these people out of power.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Get the insurance sorted out and switches the plate from his old vehicle to the new with the intention of getting the registration sorted out this week.
RCMP stopped him on the Henday yesterday because when randomly running the plate it didn't come up with the car he was driving.
Showed the cop the insurance and explained that he was getting the registration today...seven days after purchase and within the two week grace period...as stated by the Highway Traffic Safety act.
The cop told him that was wrong, the AMA who told him he had two weeks was wrong and issued him a $600 ticket.
I called the Sherwood Park RCMP and they too told me there was no grace period...everyone who thought so (including the Alberta Government I guess) is wrong.
Talked to a friend who is a Staff Sargent with EPS and his exact words were...'that cop is an idiot'...that at most EPS would have issued a warning with the provision my kid show up at an EPS station with proof he got the registration completed.
LOL, when I was younger I lived in a dodgy apartment in downtown Edmonton. One day there was a loud and prolonged commotion involving one of the neighbors and a prostitute, eventually it became obvious that physical violence was occurring. We had a police station about a block and a half away so I walked to the station and told the officer behind the counter "Theres a guy beating a hooker with a baseball bat in my apartment building."

Now get this, no word of a lie, the officer calmly looked at me and asked "What do you want me to do about it?" He then recommended that I go home and call 911, which I eventually did when it became obvious that he was not going to lift so much as a finger, even to the extent of asking someone else to go take care of it. Maybe it was 10 minuets to coffee break?

That was the day I lost my respect for our fine officers of the law.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It sounds as if your kid did not have the Bill of Sale when he was stopped ? The reason I say this, you mention your friend with the EPS said most would issue a warning ? Why a warning if everything is provided at the time of the stop ?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
It sounds as if your kid did not have the Bill of Sale when he was stopped ? The reason I say this, you mention your friend with the EPS said most would issue a warning ? Why a warning if everything is provided at the time of the stop ?
Nope...he had it. What I said was that the EPS said the warning was the worst they'd do.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Nope...he had it. What I said was that the EPS said the warning was the worst they'd do.
Obviously the ticket will be thrown out then...
Old 09-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Obviously the ticket will be thrown out then...
Yeah...pretty sure it will be.
What gets me is that two different officers told me that there is no 14 day transfer period, even though it is on the Alberta Government website.
They are either very poorly trained...or genuinely feel that they get to make the rules.
That's the last I'll say...I'm still livid and have said all I need to.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:31 PM

It is a true shame that a once proud and respected force now is populated with a bunch of losers. Many enforcement agencies and most government offices are just as bad. If every person that one of these bureaucrats tried to screw over filed an official complaint and pursued it we would eventually see some positive change. As long as most people keep taking it and not fighting back effectively it will just keep getting worse.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah...pretty sure it will be.
What gets me is that two different officers told me that there is no 14 day transfer period, even though it is on the Alberta Government website.
They are either very poorly trained...or genuinely feel that they get to make the rules.
That's the last I'll say...I'm still livid and have said all I need to.
They have 6 months training, and have to know the laws for the 10 provinces and 3 territories. Of course there's going to be mistakes. If we want true change Alberta needs it's own police force.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM

It sucks you have the inconvenience to deal with however most cops have a darn tough/dangerous job and they are people to. They make mistakes from time-to-time and to expect someone to know every infinite detail of the law at all times is unrealistic. To say you've lost respect in them because of a disputed traffic ticket is a pretty steep statement in my opinion and really is a 1st world problem.

There are many places and people in this world whom would gladly trade you places in a heartbeat. The way I see it, if you don't want to stand behind law enforcement feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What exactly does the ticket say. Section number and offence?
That amount of $600 sure seems high. That's a steep fine.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
It sucks you have the inconvenience to deal with however most cops have a darn tough/dangerous job and they are people to. They make mistakes from time-to-time and to expect someone to know every infinite detail of the law at all times is unrealistic. To say you've lost respect in them because of a disputed traffic ticket is a pretty steep statement in my opinion and really is a 1st world problem.

There are many places and people in this world whom would gladly trade you places in a heartbeat. The way I see it, if you don't want to stand behind law enforcement feel free to stand in front of them.
Stop making excuses for the officer. If the officer genuinely didn't know the law , how long would it have taken to look it up? Probably no longer than it took to write the ticket. The simple fact is that the officer knows that he can't be held accountable for this mistake, so he really doesn't care.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Hopefully, one of the Sherwood Park detachment members reads the thread ... talks to the boss...and the ticket is withdrawn without further inconvenience to your son.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Attitude is everything. You encounter officers with great attitudes and ones with huge chips on their shoulder, which makes it impossible to generalize, but some of them definitely think they are Gods. Too bad your son found one.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Smile Ignorance of the law is no excuse

The RCMP have been making up their own laws regarding firearms for several years now; in their minds, it's a small step to making up laws for everything else.
I'm surprised that more "Friends of the RCMP" haven't chimed in to defend the ticket against this obvious menace to society. Who does he think he is? Buying a vehicle. What's next? A second job to pay for the insane insurance rates?

If it goes all the way to court, please post a follow up so we can have a laugh at the officers expense.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
The RCMP have been making up their own laws regarding firearms for several years now; in their minds, it's a small step to making up laws for everything else.
I'm surprised that more "Friends of the RCMP" haven't chimed in to defend the ticket against this obvious menace to society. Who does he think he is? Buying a vehicle. What's next? A second job to pay for the insane insurance rates?

If it goes all the way to court, please post a follow up so we can have a laugh at the officers expense.
It will be at the OPs expense, he will lose a day's pay, the officer will be paid to be in court.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It will be at the OPs expense, he will lose a day's pay, the officer will be paid to be in court.
= punishment by process.

more expensive than a roadside bribe,
and all the 'officers of the court' get some,
at the general public's expense.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 PM

When an officer tickets a civilian and it’s determined in the court of law that the ticket was in fact bogus, the civilian should be reimbursed at the officers expense. This way officers might actually as mentioned, find out first before issuing a ticket. It’s 2019, almost every answer is at the tip of your fingers in 2 minutes or less. No excuse.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:38 PM

From personal experiences the majority of cops I’ve dealt with are good, honest people like you and I. Sure there is the oddball that is in the job for the wrong reasons.
The constant disrespect these guys/gals receive is disgusting. I hear stories from buddies of mine and I don’t know how they still manage to maintain any sort of professionalism.

Officers are wrong from time to time which can be a major inconvenience but I’m sure they aren’t the only ones who make mistakes doing their job.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Welcome to the club! Of all the detachments I have had the "privilege" of working with I can say the Sherwood Park one is by far the worst out there.

Honestly though let this go through the court system. Make sure you get the new registration completed and take that to court. Personally I would not ask the duty counsel to withdraw the ticket but instead plead not guilty and ask the officer in court why he issued the ticket. Once the officer is embarrassed and the ticket gets thrown out(assuming he shows up in the first place) I would then file a formal complaint with his duty sargent and with the Professional Standards Division. The Sherwood Park Division is part of "K" Division. If the judge comments on the officers stupidity you can obtain a written transcription for a small fee that may be of use too you should the officer feel the need to pick on your son at a later date ( a common thing in Sherwood Park).Make sure you quote Section 86 of the Highway Traffic Act to show you know what your talking about.
Really it has been my experience that the only way the RC's ever learn is to get their peepee slapped by their own.
Excellent post!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post

If he didn’t ‘know the law’ what part of his anatomy did he pull that $600 number from? If his profession is to enforce the law, he damn well better know the law. This officer was just making it up as he went along.

Over the last 40 years the RCMP has gone from an internationally respected force to being a goon squad filled with dolts and thugs. All you need to become a member nowadays is a high school education and an attitude.

Somebody ought to fire every living soul at Depot and start over from scratch.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 PM

I had the same dang thing happen to me after i just bought a Grand Am GT in early Oct/2001..got caught around 140st Stoney Pl.Rd in a speed trap.. flagged me over. Everything was pleasant, the brief back & forth encounter was memorable , both parties left glad we briefly met & i was on my way in 15mins with just a promise to fax detatchment when all was correct..does my post debunk this thread?
Quote:
"..RCMP stopped him...when randomly running the plate it didn't come up with the car he was driving..."
Im curious, i got caught speeding in my above post..can you tell me how a cop was just randomly running plates? Thats for sure some high random odds a cop getting in behind to just be running plates. Was your son noticed for some reason prior to the flashing red-blues?

Last edited by tri777; 09-16-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:18 PM

Yup the old “ignorance of the law is NO defense for you but is for the law enforcers”