Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I had the same dang thing happen to me after i just bought a Grand Am GT in early Oct/2001..got caught around 140st Stoney Pl.Rd in a speed trap.. flagged me over. Everything was pleasant, the brief back & forth encounter was memorable , both parties left glad we briefly met & i was on my way in 15mins with just a promise to fax detatchment when all was correct..does my post debunk this thread?

Im curious, i got caught speeding in my above post..can you tell me how a cop was just randomly running plates? Thats for sure some high random odds a cop getting in behind to just be running plates. Was your son noticed for some reason prior to the flashing red-blues?
They run plates randomly all the time. At red lights....outside bars....wherever.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
= punishment by process.

more expensive than a roadside bribe,
and all the 'officers of the court' get some,
at the general public's expense.

Good Luck, YMMV.
A good friend that is almost finished his career with CPS "Disrespected" (as some here complain) a few fellow officers one day.

He was telling me how a some officers that have been demoted exclusively to traffic duty (due to incompetence/attitude) were raking in extra income.

These officers would write piles of garbage tickets in the hope that people take it to court. The officer then gets paid regular salary and a court appearance fee, essentially doubling their income.

Some of these officers were booking over half their shift time for court....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
They run plates randomly all the time. At red lights....outside bars....wherever.
They might have scanners like Sask. don't need stickers anymore the LEO's scan continuously as they drive.

More law enforcement vehicles throughout Saskatchewan are now equipped with scanners that can process one licence plate per second.

Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) announced Tuesday that it has invested $2.3 million in the purchase and installation of 77 new automated licence plate readers.

The devices automatically scan plates and alert police if a nearby vehicle is unregistered, or associated with a driver who has been suspended.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ners-1.4653969
Old 09-16-2019, 07:22 PM

I would hazard a guess there is more to this story. As mentioned above, post the section number for the offence(s). I can tell u there is no single $600 ticket for what u have described. I have a pretty good idea what likely happened but will wait to see what the op replies with

There are offences for operating a unregistered vehicle and misuse of a license plate which are $310 each respectively. Again, no single ticket for that amount, sorry....
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 PM

Thank goodness, there hasn't been a cop bashing 'High River' thread in hours!

But seriously though, a couple bad situations with a couple individuals means every member on every force is evil?

Sure.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
I would hazard a guess there is more to this story. As mentioned above, post the section number for the offence(s). I can tell u there is no single $600 ticket for what u have described. I have a pretty good idea what likely happened but will wait to see what the op replies with

There are offences for operating a unregistered vehicle and misuse of a license plate which are $310 each respectively. Again, no single ticket for that amount, sorry....
Just got the same ticket. $310.00. No registration on vehicle. Alberta registries gave me a registration renewal for an older vehicle I had. (It wasn't insured). I didnt notice, got stopped by a Peace officer. No warning , just a $310.00 ticket
Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I heard some cars are now equipped with scanners that automatically read up plates as they are driving. Supposed to keep them more hands free and focused on the road while increasing production.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Ya. That's what I'm wondering about. Maybe the cop was so bad he came up with his own fine amount. I don't know.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

You are correct... two tickets given... but again the officer on scene and the officer on the desk said it was because there is no 14 day grace period, which there is.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Ok now we’re getting somewhere. And am I correct to assume that those were the 2 offences for which those tickets were issued? Reason I ask is because what u probably didn’t mention was that the license plate your son had or put on his vehicle after his recent car purchase was not a valid plate to begin with.

There is only a 14 day grace period after purchasing a new/used vehicle when the license plate attached is already valid and registered. You cannot use an expired plate for example or one from a vehicle you used to own which has now been sold and re registered by its new owner.

So if that was what actually happened, ur son put on a plate that wasn’t valid or registered to any vehicle he is the owner of, there is in fact no grace period.

This would make sense when the plate was queried and it didn’t come back assigned to any vehicle.

Am I getting warmer.....
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It will be at the OPs expense, he will lose a day's pay, the officer will be paid to be in court.
Exactly

My respect for the RCMP disappeared years ago and, as one poster indicated, nothing to do with tickets.

To do with rot from the inside out
Old 09-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok now we’re getting somewhere. And am I correct to assume that those were the 2 offences for which those tickets were issued? Reason I ask is because what u probably didn’t mention was that the license plate your son had or put on his vehicle after his recent car purchase was not a valid plate to begin with.

There is only a 14 day grace period after purchasing a new/used vehicle when the license plate attached is already valid and registered. You cannot use an expired plate for example or one from a vehicle you used to own which has now been sold and re registered by its new owner.

So if that was what actually happened, ur son put on a plate that wasn’t valid or registered to any vehicle he is the owner of, there is in fact no grace period.

This would make sense when the plate was queried and it didn’t come back assigned to any vehicle.

Am I getting warmer.....
Nope, no warmer...valid plate expiring Jan 2020.
Even had the registration on the previous vehicle with him.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 PM

There is a reason Ontario and Quebec have their own provincial police. If the province wants to save money then this bloated bureaucratic mess needs the boot from the province. I've only had two experiences in passing with them lying outright about a ticket and I've read about both officers in the paper getting booted. In this case the officer is either stupid or a liar...both have no place in law enforcement. Another one a friend ran into was the officer saying my friend did a rolling stop because he did not stop for three seconds. A complete stop is a complete stop so the ticket was throw out and the leo got an ear full from the judge as he doesn't like to have his time wasted either.

From the government of Alberta website
Existing licence plates
You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate.

Last edited by Rdamours; 09-16-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:47 PM

What's the deal with 'In Transit' stickers if people have 14days to drive a new/used car?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Hopefully, one of the Sherwood Park detachment members reads the thread ... talks to the boss...and the ticket is withdrawn without further inconvenience to your son.
Funnny
Old 09-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What's the deal with 'In Transit' stickers if people have 14days to drive a new/used car?
If you are buying another vehicle, rather than replacing one, you won't have plates to transfer.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you are buying another vehicle, rather than replacing one, you won't have plates to transfer.
Thx elk, perfect sense.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
snip
Reason I ask is because what u probably didn’t mention was that the license plate your son had or put on his vehicle after his recent car purchase was not a valid plate to begin with.

snip
Now I am confused,
I always thought that the above was correct and only a current valid plate could be placed on a newly purchased vehicle, for a maximum of 14 days.
I also thought that the new owner must have sold or traded-in or taken the previous vehicle out of service.
This seemed quite reasonable and typical as most ‘licences’ are just Government permission in exchange for a fee, and are only valid if the fee is maintained and current.
However, ‘licences’ are also ‘Government Issued Identification’. An expired DL may not be valid for operating a motor vehicle, but still usable / valid ID for other purpose such as proof of age or identity to cash a cheque...

Reading the following in post # 7 (source not cited, assumed to be Ab MV Act?)

Quote:
Transfer of plates
86(1) If ownership of a private passenger vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may operate, or permit another person to operate, the newly acquired motor vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another private passenger vehicle.
(2) If ownership of a commercial vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may drive, or permit another person to drive, the newly acquired vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another vehicle of the same class of commercial vehicle.
(3) The licence plate may be displayed on the newly acquired vehicle for not more than 14 days from the date its ownership passes to the new owner if the new owner intends (a) to apply to register the vehicle, and
(b) to have the displayed licence plate reissued for use on the vehicle.
(4) The owner or operator of the vehicle shall carry
(a) proof of ownership of the newly acquired vehicle,
(b) a valid financial responsibility card relating to the vehicle, and (c) proof that the licence plate is issued in respect of a vehicle registered as owned by that owner.
(5) A person to whom a licence plate is issued may apply to the Registrar to transfer the plate to another vehicle to be registered in the applicant’s name if the application is made within 14 days after the applicant becomes the owner of the other vehicle

I do not see the words ‘current’ or ‘valid’.

The ownership of a vehicle continues to be 'registered' to the owner even when the 'licence' (permission) to operate on a public property is not current or 'valid'.

ISTM that while certainly counter-intuitive, the wording of the Act seems to allow the use of a non-current plate previously 'issued' and 'registered' to a new owner to be used (for the purposes of identification?) for a period of time (14 days) to allow performance of any needed OOP or other inspections or needed testing and evaluation, and to travel to an agent to transfer the 'plate registration' and pay any required fees required.

Seems very civilized (a sadly no longer current practice of bureaucracy) to allow some flexibility to permit an easy compliance process.

But then (I do not wish to brag, but) I am not a Lawyer or an Officer of the Law.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It’s not about the RCMP, the EPS, F&W or CRA, it’s anyone in a position of power. There are a number of reasons for choosing a profession, it’s when you have a sadistic person in a position of power they will use it to satisfy their personal sadistic needs. There is always an allowance for discretion, some people just get a sense of enjoyment out of inflicting pain on others. Unfortunately there is no screening that will keep these people out of power.
This is it, across the board. In many work roles, during commutes, anywhere an insecure person can try to prop themselves up at the expense of others.

Then you see the flip side where a more secure LE person could escalate and overreact but instead uses discretion and chooses a measured response.

Someone was bullied in high school but they are a BIG BOY now and they need to make sure YOU know that.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Nope, no warmer...valid plate expiring Jan 2020.
Even had the registration on the previous vehicle with him.
So what are the offences? Is the second ticket/offence perhaps the reason he was stopped?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
From personal experiences the majority of cops I’ve dealt with are good, honest people like you and I. Sure there is the oddball that is in the job for the wrong reasons.
The constant disrespect these guys/gals receive is disgusting. I hear stories from buddies of mine and I don’t know how they still manage to maintain any sort of professionalism.

Officers are wrong from time to time which can be a major inconvenience but I’m sure they aren’t the only ones who make mistakes doing their job.
I generally try not to rag on cops because I've asked for their help once or twice. However my issue lies with the fact that they can write a ticket, knowing they're in the wrong, knowing the ticket will be thrown out without any regard for the person who has to take time off of work to get said ticket thrown out.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
The RCMP have been making up their own laws regarding firearms for several years now; in their minds, it's a small step to making up laws for everything else.
I'm surprised that more "Friends of the RCMP" haven't chimed in to defend the ticket against this obvious menace to society. Who does he think he is? Buying a vehicle. What's next? A second job to pay for the insane insurance rates?

If it goes all the way to court, please post a follow up so we can have a laugh at the officers expense.
Agree, but even if he was guilty a $600 fine is rediculous. The worst thing you can do behind the wheel right now is talking on your phone, and that's a $275 ticket while this clerical issue is $600? It dosent make any sense. I realize fines aren't set by them, but when writing one with such a big amount, for such a "non issue" in the big picture at least take the time to make sure it's a good ticket. Who does that ticket serve or protect? Themselves...

Those SP RC's sure have a reputation for being huge Richards. If you live out there and haven't felt their wrath, chances are you probably know someone who has. Both my EPS friends laugh they are suffering from small man syndrome. Not all RC's, just SP's.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Bla bla bla.....next

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So...last Monday (Sept 9) my kid buys a new (to him) car.
Get the insurance sorted out and switches the plate from his old vehicle to the new with the intention of getting the registration sorted out this week.
RCMP stopped him on the Henday yesterday because when randomly running the plate it didn't come up with the car he was driving.
Showed the cop the insurance and explained that he was getting the registration today...seven days after purchase and within the two week grace period...as stated by the Highway Traffic Safety act.
The cop told him that was wrong, the AMA who told him he had two weeks was wrong and issued him a $600 ticket.
I called the Sherwood Park RCMP and they too told me there was no grace period...everyone who thought so (including the Alberta Government I guess) is wrong.
Talked to a friend who is a Staff Sargent with EPS and his exact words were...'that cop is an idiot'...that at most EPS would have issued a warning with the provision my kid show up at an EPS station with proof he got the registration completed.
It does appear the RCMP do think they are gods.
So we'll lose a days pay to show up in court to have this thrown out.
One sided venting.....next!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thank goodness, there hasn't been a cop bashing 'High River' thread in hours!

But seriously though, a couple bad situations with a couple individuals means every member on every force is evil?

Sure.
Plus your Only getting a story....someone venting ......evil....all are evil....work for the guberment....evil.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Agree, but even if he was guilty a $600 fine is rediculous. The worst thing you can do behind the wheel right now is talking on your phone, and that's a $275 ticket while this clerical issue is $600? It dosent make any sense. I realize fines aren't set by them, but when writing one with such a big amount, for such a "non issue" in the big picture at least take the time to make sure it's a good ticket. Who does that ticket serve or protect? Themselves...

Those SP RC's sure have a reputation for being huge Richards. If you live out there and haven't felt their wrath, chances are you probably know someone who has. Both my EPS friends laugh they are suffering from small man syndrome. Not all RC's, just SP's.
Bingo!!!
Or that leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run) it non-injury is $400.
Again, what burns me is two of their members told us what is law isn’t.
The officer on the desk outright said the AMA and all the registries are handing out false info. Odd that EPS seems to feel they aren’t.
Personally (and this is just conjecture), the cop stopped an 18 year old male in a red sports car (a forty year old Fiat with a heart pounding 85hp) and decided to make an example of him. Would a 40 year old woman in a Corolla have received $600 worth of tickets?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 AM

While we’re on the subject, has there been any updates on the Strathmore music teacher who enjoyed the big high risk takedown over gophers he wasn’t shooting?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Did he have valid insurance?

What was the two tickets for exactly?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Wink

Quote:

Am I getting warmer.....
ewwww and the plot thickens.....

Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
ewwww and the plot thickens.....
You must have .missed the OP's response, to that post, where he dispels that possibility. The fact is that the the rot within the force starts at the top, with the PM appointing a new commissioner, who is avoiding investigating the PMO, to the top level RCMP intelligence officer that was recently charged.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 PM

Buddy was driving down south and was pulled over by RCMP for having an unregistered vehicle. He got a ticket.

Scenario. Had been unregistered for 7 months lol.

Officer said he normally gives out warnings if less than a month. Buddy laughed and understood.

All was well handled.

For those wondering how can one go 7 months.

This scenario is common.

Person buys new vehicle July 1. Dealership handles transfer of plates and registration. Person drives away thinking July 1 was a new registration date however the transfer held the same original registration date. Say Oct 1. Cop pulls you over Dec 1 and you say registration is good as you bought the new vehicle Jul 1.

Cop says nope. Registration ended Oct 1. You have been driving unregistered for two months.

Apparently very common.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin