Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 03:24 PM

Default Streaming Tv/IPTV

Happy Turkey weekend to all ,

I've got to the point in which the time has come to seriously find something/someone different to source my TV input from.

I've been with Shaw basically since color TV became a thing ...well almost.

I'm not real tech-savvy, in the different ways that are now available out there,

I understand , that as long as I have internet ( which is a given ) , there are a few ways of getting TV.

I have a Firestick ( Prime Video ) and the son has Netflix.
What I'm most interested in learning about is the whole IPTV thing.

And I see that there are " IPTV " boxes that can be purchased, ( also what about a PVR type of thing to record live stuff etc with ) but where I really get lost . is where one gets a subscription from... I've been told ...
" Just go on Kijiji, you'll find dealers there "

To me, that just sounds kind of like " a guy in the mall parking lot selling out of a van.

I am happy to think of all the new to me content there is out there, but it's also very important that I can still get the local stations.

Also, I am only interested in watching this on a TV.
I don't have a laptop, or Ipad or tablets, etc.

Would love to know what/who everyone is using.

Thanks kindly for anything you can help me with .
Old 10-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Banned

Default streaming box

Hello, I have cut the cord on my shaw cable about 4 years ago, I have no cable, no Netflix account, no satellite. I am still able to watch all the weekly tv programs, All the new movies that are in theaters and any tv show or movie from back since about 1950,

I am a rep for this group, which is world wide, Please pm or contact me for more info.https://www.facebook.com/Ghostware-P...dmin_todo_tour Useing this service is a saving of approx. $1400.00 a year
Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Banned

Yes I also have live broadcast subscriptions also.
There was recently raids in Europe and the UK which resulted in iptv services to be shut down.
The services have been working but not sure for how long.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM

I see your in Calgary. I am in Calgary and get 6 channels with a tv antenna. The quality is great because nothing is compressed through a cable so it’s HD. I picked up a antenna for $30 from princess auto. In Calgary you get global,CBC,Citytv, CTV, yes tv, and omni.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I see your in Calgary. I am in Calgary and get 6 channels with a tv antenna. The quality is great because nothing is compressed through a cable so it’s HD. I picked up a antenna for $30 from princess auto. In Calgary you get global,CBC,Citytv, CTV, yes tv, and omni.
Oh, good to know , I was going to ask about digital antennas.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Hello, I have cut the cord on my shaw cable about 4 years ago, I have no cable, no Netflix account, no satellite. I am still able to watch all the weekly tv programs, All the new movies that are in theaters and any tv show or movie from back since about 1950,

I am a rep for this group, which is world wide, Please pm or contact me for more info.https://www.facebook.com/Ghostware-P...dmin_todo_tour Useing this service is a saving of approx. $1400.00 a year
Thanks , I'll be in touch
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Thanks , I'll be in touch
RBI, sent you a pm.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

a friend told me for over 2 years to use ghost ware. I tried 2 other options before he gave me on of his old boxes. It's definitely the best of all the ones I've tried.

I've used their iptv service for live tv as well for 2 years.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
a friend told me for over 2 years to use ghost ware. I tried 2 other options before he gave me on of his old boxes. It's definitely the best of all the ones I've tried.

The older boxes can still be updated to work as new. We support our products. Contact me if interested.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:

good to hear , thanks
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM

I cut the cord a long time ago. Antenna in the attic and get great hd on the local programs. I have 3 tv's and 3 boxes for all our regular shows movies and sports. Never miss anything and definitely dont miss the cable tv. Just need good internet and setp the box and it all works great.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 PM

Can you get cfl games on the box?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
your best bet is to pay for a TV service which can be as little as $5 a month.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default streaming box

The Ghostware branded boxes are great. It is a whole World wide team of people from development to support reps.

Not just some guy that purchases boxes, loads a few apps and sells them.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 PM

I have paid for cfl games on tsn online before, but the picture is unwatchable.
Is that just how it is, or could it be because my laptop is not the right tool for the job?
Do I need a box, or a computer with better options?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I cut the cord a long time ago. Antenna in the attic and get great hd on the local programs. I have 3 tv's and 3 boxes for all our regular shows movies and sports. Never miss anything and definitely dont miss the cable tv. Just need good internet and setp the box and it all works great.
Thanks for the info ...
You speak of 3 boxes... what exactly are these boxes, as in literally what are they. If I were to go into a store and say I need .....???.
( what is it going to say on the packaging? )

Once I have said boxes, then what?
( I've been told you need to get someone to " program " them?

Also, how strong of the internet does one need ...3 Tv's, a couple of PC's
( Ethans a gamer etc ) , and 1 laptop

Currently, with Shaw we get/charged for 300mbs (?)
If we switch over to Primus, the best they have is only 150 mbs

Again Thanks
Old 10-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The Ghostware branded boxes are great. It is a whole World wide team of people from development to support reps.

Not just some guy that purchases boxes, loads a few apps and sells them.
My wife got sucked in to a Rhino box a couple of years ago at a home show. Works OK but way overpriced and better stuff out there for sure.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes I also have live broadcast subscriptions also.
There was recently raids in Europe and the UK which resulted in iptv services to be shut down.
The services have been working but not sure for how long.
Yeah but the UK has a TV license so..... what do you expect lmao.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

What do these boxes cost?
Old 10-16-2019, 02:27 PM

i just use the firestick for my streaming tv
just google how to jailbreak a firestick
all the same apps and addons that people put on the boxes are there for the firestick
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the info ...
You speak of 3 boxes... what exactly are these boxes, as in literally what are they. If I were to go into a store and say I need .....???.

Again Thanks

If you bought the ghostware box you would have everything pre loaded and setup. Then youd pay a small iptv subscription for live TV. This would be optional.

You can spend $120 upwards to $200 on the different styles of boxes that vary in quality/speed. 4k boxes cost a bit more for example.

150mbps would be more then enough for your streaming needs if you went to that.

My first box i bought was from some random dude in Edmonton. The box was an old discontinued POS that didnt last long. Of course I find out when the box couldnt be upgraded to the new software which maxe it useless.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
If you bought the ghostware box you would have everything pre loaded and setup. Then youd pay a small iptv subscription for live TV. This would be optional.

You can spend $120 upwards to $200 on the different styles of boxes that vary in quality/speed. 4k boxes cost a bit more for example.

My first box i bought was from some random dude in Edmonton. The box was an old discontinued POS that didnt last long. Of course I find out when the box couldnt be upgraded to the new software which maxe it useless.
thank you kindly sir
Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default cfl games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post

Although I am not a sports fanatic. I am sure CFL games are available. Most likely on the Modbro app.

I will do some asking around.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

My first box i bought was from some random dude in Edmonton. The box was an old discontinued POS that didnt last long. Of course I find out when the box couldn't be upgraded to the new software which make it useless.
Ghostware boxes come completely loaded with apps that get you TV shows, movies and sports. For anyone that is a gamer or has kids that play games, there is something like 8000 games available on the box also.
With the purchase of the box also comes with 24/7 suport. Reps are willing to help and can remotely connect to your box do correct any problems.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the info ...

Again Thanks
The box is a streaming box that operates with an android operating system. There are many boxes available but they are not loaded with the custom Ghostware firmware.
Along with the custom firmware, 24/7 support, this is what puts Ghostware boxes ahead of many others.
The boxes are fully programmed when you receive it. Simply connect box to tv with an HDMI cable, plug in power cord and connect to either WIFI or Ethernet for internet service. Then sign into a Google account.
Your Shaw 300mbps is a great connection for internet service to your box.
If you desire, each tv in your house requires a box. you can easily move the box from 1 room to another.

Last edited by DWS; 10-16-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
What do these ghostware boxes cost?
+1
Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 PM

I wil reply tomorrow morning when I get back home with answers to most of these questions. Too hard to type bouncing down the hiway. And no I am not the driver.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I wil reply tomorrow morning when I get back home with answers to most of these questions. Too hard to type bouncing down the highway. And no I am not the driver.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Here we go. Based on my experience and have been doing this for several years. For more details just pm me and I will try to help.

First of all the Android boxes are available all over such as Amazon, Best Buy, Mem Ex to name a few. I got mine and recommend Amazon as they have a good selection there. Always get the most ram you can and one of the latest processors and most do have that are decent. 3 or 4 megs of ram is pretty standard now. If you really want to go for streaming get an Nvidia shield. They are expensive but for the mega serious folks.
You will need good internet to make these work. You can run them on wifi or run on direct cable which is the most reliable for streaming.
On the IPTV front, it is almost like cable tv. You pay a fee to get a feed that is rebroadcast to you. Right now some of them are going through some rough times in Europe and other places so you need to be careful as you may have nothing to watch. Saying that there are some good ones at a fraction of cable cost when they work.
For the most part there are apps you can run on them that you obtain yourself and no not off the Playstore which spins everything to Google. They are Android apps the same as you put on your phone and you can do that as well if you find something you like. They are not secret and easy to search or again pm for some to start. Movies and TV shows we watch them all and never have issues. Some apps are better than others for certain types of shows so you may have to join a group or 2 or try a few to start.

Sports has several apps and Live TV has several from worldwide networks that are sometimes good sometimes not. There are many websites that you can access with your browser that are great for sports and is where I watch most of my hockey, football and UFC etc.

Remember, and this is also asked all the time is is illegal or not. It is not illegal to stream in North America but downloading is so be careful as you can also do that as well at your own risk.
For local stations I have a good HD antenna in my attic and get amazing HD on it. We don't watch much other than the news and the odd Saturday HNIC on it. You can also just run the line into your cable splitter and it will run your whole house if you have several TV's.
Also if you have multiple tv's you do need one box for each.
Well there is a start for you and there is probably more so I will leave it there. Just remember there is some setting up to do and it may take some time to get everything tweaked to your situation and liking but when you do you will wonder what you have been missing.

And no I am not a dealer or sell anything but just a geeky guy that has used this stuff for a long time.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Banned

Calgarygringo thanks for your post.
There are many boxes for sale on Amazon,Gearbest etc that can be used.And for a year or so they work for most people.
Ghostware prides itself on the custom firmware that makes the boxes run faster and smoother. They do have less buffering and boot up faster than a regular box.