Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM

Default Aerating the lakes please!

Went to an aerated pond today and had so much fun. Caught two big rainbows with 18 inch and another one 14.5 inch and some newly stocked little guys...

Does aerating cost a lot? Why do those remote ponds or lakes get aerated but not the one in Hermitage or the one at Beaumont or those close to Edmonton? (I have been fishing Heritage lake twice this year, but not a single keeper. clear indication of winter kill. What a waste!) Why do people like to spend a lot money to stock Edmonton ponds year after year every year but don't want to do something to save those having be stocked in the pond?

When fishing at an unaerated pond looking at the tiny fish I caught, I feel really sorry for them. Whether I release the fish or not, this fish wouldn't pass the harsh winter. What a shame!

I am willing to double my fishing licence fee, but please get those pond aerated..thanks!

Last edited by coyotezh; 06-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
Went to an aerated pond today and had so much fun. Caught two big rainbows with 18 inch and another one 14.5 inch and some newly stocked little guys...

Does aerating cost a lot? Why do those remote ponds or lakes get aerated but not the one in Hermitage or the one at Beaumont or those close to Edmonton? (I have been fishing Heritage lake twice this year, but not a single keeper. clear indication of winter kill. What a waste!) Why do people like to spend a lot money to stock Edmonton ponds year after year every year but don't want to do something to save those having be stocked in the pond?

When fishing at an unaerated pond looking at the tiny fish I caught, I feel really sorry for them. Whether I release the fish or not, this fish wouldn't pass the harsh winter. What a shame!

I am willing to double my fishing licence fee, but please get those pond aerated..thanks!

The cost ratio of aerating a pond, plus allowing for it to be a 5 fish limit so people can catch "keepers" doesnt work out too well. We have quality fisheries designed to allow people to keep only one over 50cm, to maintain the population and allow for a greater chance at bigger fish. Cant have a 5 fish limit and still dump the money into an aerator, no best of both worlds in this scenario im afraid.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Cant have a 5 fish limit and still dump the money into an aerator, no best of both worlds in this scenario im afraid.
Yet many aerated lakes in the province still have a 5 fish limit If a lake is worth aerating then it's worth changing the regs as well. SRD needs to wake up.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Yet many aerated lakes in the province still have a 5 fish limit If a lake is worth aerating then it's worth changing the regs as well. SRD needs to wake up.
YES. I one hundred percent agree with you. Those lakes you see close by a large populous, that are aerated and 5 fish limits are stupid. Such a waste of the limited funds they are already restricted to.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

There are plenty of places to catch +18" trout with a 5 keep limit that aren't aerated .
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There are plenty of places to catch +18" trout with a 5 keep limit that aren't aerated .
but those places are located at remote areas. most people just want to spend some time on fishing, not driving... not mention the gas price is so high these days... People can caculate: driving 100km will at least cost you 10 dollar of gasoline, how about increase the license fee a little bit, but you could catch big fish while you only drive 20km? not mention you could enjoy fishing longer time..less change you get lost and way less change get involved in an accident. lots of advantage, just don't understand why SRD don't want to do it?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
but those places are located at remote areas. most people just want to spend some time on fishing, not driving... not mention the gas price is so high these days... People can caculate: driving 100km will at least cost you 10 dollar of gasoline, how about increase the license fee a little bit, but you could catch big fish while you only drive 20km? not mention you could enjoy fishing longer time..less change you get lost and way less change get involved in an accident. lots of advantage, just don't understand why SRD don't want to do it?
WOW
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Because the populations of fish become decimated, and then they're back at square one.

If you feel the need to bonk 5 keepers that you land, our lakes and ponds will not suit you well. If you can be conservative, and only bonk 1 keeper then check out our quality fisheries. Cant have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Because the populations of fish become decimated, and then they're back at square one.

If you feel the need to bonk 5 keepers that you land, our lakes and ponds will not suit you well. If you can be conservative, and only bonk 1 keeper then check out our quality fisheries. Cant have the best of both worlds.
I guess SRD allow people to keep 5 fish is due to the fish too small. If the fish would be 15 inch and bigger, I don't think people would insist on keeping 5 fish.. In my view, 1 or 2 fish would be way enough...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Baloney. I know for a fact that SRD isn't stocking the lakes that I fish with +18" trout....lol! Nice theory though.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Thats good all these lakes that hold trophy fish are in remote areas. better chance at catching a beauty without the crowds not to mention the scenery
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Thats good all these lakes that hold trophy fish are in remote areas. better chance at catching a beauty without the crowds not to mention the scenery
x2
Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
What about the families and poor people who would like to catch a quality fish once in a while? It's fine if you are rich enough to spend all your time fishing. Let the others eat cake.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

If it is a put and take fishery, any possession limit can be maintained through supplemental stocking. Keep the keep numbers high and promote fishing!

Quote:

Instead of asking the general fishing public and the government to look after things, get proactive and JUST DO IT!

Garner support and funding locally to improve your fishery and get it done.

It wasn't very long ago that the majority of Alberta fishery maintainance ws accomplished through grass roots efforts. It seems to be now that most people just want to put a dollar down and have someone else do the work. We need to change this mindset and look after local projects ourselves.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:16 PM

How does a high keep limit support fishing? People want to catch fish, a lake gets stocked once a year, cutting the limit creates good fishing for an extended time. To me it's about creating the most success, over the longest period.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Something is wrong with your face, you should probably get that checked out.

Correct me if I am wrong as I never fish there but Hermitage usually gets fished out by the fall anyways I thought. What is the point of putting an aerator in there?

There are a couple more lakes I would like to see aerators in closer to Edmonton but the costs are quite high as another poster pointed out.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Something is wrong with your face, you should probably get that checked out.

Correct me if I am wrong as I never fish there but Hermitage usually gets fished out by the fall anyways I thought. What is the point of putting an aerator in there?

There are a couple more lakes I would like to see aerators in closer to Edmonton but the costs are quite high as another poster pointed out.
Caught trout at herm all the way through febuary. But herm having open water all season probably not the best choice.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
If it is a put and take fishery, any possession limit can be maintained through supplemental stocking. Keep the keep numbers high and promote fishing!

Instead of asking the general fishing public and the government to look after things, get proactive and JUST DO IT!

Garner support and funding locally to improve your fishery and get it done.

It wasn't very long ago that the majority of Alberta fishery maintainance ws accomplished through grass roots efforts. It seems to be now that most people just want to put a dollar down and have someone else do the work. We need to change this mindset and look after local projects ourselves.

I like perch. you are talking about a bucket list right? Or just double the numbers for stocking and double the license fees.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Out of all the fish out there stocked trout should have tags. or at least a supplementary licence like if you want to hunt pheasants.

Personally I would question if a lake that needed aeration to get the fish through winter would be suitable as a quality lake.