Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Moose draws

I was lucky enough to get a antlered moose draw now i'm confused I need the draw to archery hunt them but if I don't fill my tag can I rifle hunt them in the later season I didn't see an early or late season on this draw code it was for wmu 502
Old 08-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Yes you can
Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Good luck in your hunt!
That's a nice draw option to be able to hunt both seasons unlike most other draw tags. On top of all that you can shoot both Antlered and Antlerless in either season in that zone. I really like those options!
Questions like this always help in others learning more about other zone's and options too.
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Yes you can
C2
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 PM

Do you mean you can hunt bow and rifle seasons with either draw, code 27 and 33 draw ?
They are separate draws correct, not an either sex draw ?

TBark
Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Good luck in your hunt!
That's a nice draw option to be able to hunt both seasons unlike most other draw tags. On top of all that you can shoot both Antlered and Antlerless in either season in that zone. I really like those options!
Questions like this always help in others learning more about other zone's and options too.
Thanks!
Interesting never knew there was an either or moose draw?

....I think you are reading the regs wrong!

There is either or elk draws but not for moose! The draw code is separate.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-28-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM

Well yes and no, depending where you hunt.
In McMurray zones such as 518, 530, 517 your archery is split. It's horrible cause you really have only a 5 day archery general tag season you can only preceed to hunt if you get drawn early season tag only. So if your drawn late season Nov tag for moose, you don't have an archery season preceeding the season to hunt.
So essentially because of that not just are your two seasons split, you really don't have much if any bowhunting season either way because it is so short.
I asked the local office if I could hunt the sept/oct season archery to be sure, and as the book states, the law says you cannot. They agreed it wasn't very fair to the area archery wise and essentially to no benefit to us locally over rifle seasons early and late unlike the southern zones.

Before with the 503 area zone tags similar to most others you could hunt a long season before Nov1 rifle opener with bow in the calling season. Bow was general before this year, but at least now you would be able to hunt calling season with your bow still unlike the Fort McMurray areas. You can't hunt the early season with a bow unless you get the specific early season draw tag. So most see a bow as no extra benefit to hunt with locally for a 5 day late Aug hunt.

I hope I made that as clear as possible without sounding too confusing? LOL
In the end, it would be more beneficial and a longer season with the new southern boreal zone arrangement to try and get drawn down there if you hunted with a bow and rifle.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Interesting never knew there was an either or moose draw?

....I think you are reading the regs wrong!

There is either or elk draws but not for moose! The draw code is separate.

LC
Your right in the application being different for Antlered and Antlerless, I forgot that was different. The general regs should put an asterix beside that in the regs like they do for other specifics.
I tried to copy and past that section but I'm not good with that stuff. Haha
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Good luck in your hunt!
Thanks!
If the OP drew an antlered moose special license for wmu 502, he had better not shoot an antlerless moose. This is a good example of why people need to read and learn the regulations for themselves, rather than risk being led astray by someone else.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the OP drew an antlered moose special license for wmu 502, he had better not shoot an antlerless moose. This is a good example of why people need to read and learn the regulations for themselves, rather than risk being led astray by someone else.
Read the rest of the thread... I agreed that two different tags are required despite being in the same column in the regs. I wasn't wrong as you would manipulate in saying that you can hunt either species in the specified time frame. I simply didn't state provided you had said specified tag required for either species which I clarified later and agreed was required. There was no annotation in the general regs to specify that requirement.

I also didn't tell him what to do, I was making a mere observation and was open to correction. There is a vast difference between the two!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 PM

I think you mean either sex not either species...

The regs state the season dates...so the seasons for antlered and antlerless open at the same time.

The tags/license will state antlered or antlerless to correspond to which draw an applicant was successful in.

The ONLY license/tag that can be used for either antlered or antlerless moose is a general tag used in a NONDRAW archery only season, and one who holds a moose draw of any sort cannot hold at the same time a general moose tag.

LC
Old 08-28-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think you mean either sex not either species...

The regs state the season dates...so the seasons for antlered and antlerless open at the same time.

The tags/license will state antlered or antlerless to correspond to which draw an applicant was successful in.

The ONLY license/tag that can be used for either antlered or antlerless moose is a general tag used in a NONDRAW archery only season, and one who holds a moose draw of any sort cannot hold at the same time a general moose tag.

LC
This^^^^^ is a positive post that gives some clear insight without coming off as condescending and rude. Thank you very much for your contribution sir!
If only there were more like you on this forum.