Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 AM

Default Baby Duramax

I’m wondering what the feedback on the Colorado and Canyon Duramax trucks. They have been around for a couple years now. Was the 2016 a good model? Does anyone have one and is happy with it or would you go with gas given the choice again? The 9 l/100km is impressive.

Also if you’re buying a truck that’s a couple years old is there anyway of knowing the shop record at the dealership?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 06:42 AM

My wife has a 2016 gas Colorado. I’m not sure there would ever be a pay back buying a diesel Colorado with diesel being more money than gas usually and the initial $4000 extra for the Diesel engine. My wife’s Colorado has got as high as 29.2 mpg on a long trip.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I’m wondering what the feedback on the Colorado and Canyon Duramax trucks. They have been around for a couple years now. Was the 2016 a good model? Does anyone have one and is happy with it or would you go with gas given the choice again? The 9 l/100km is impressive.

Also if you’re buying a truck that’s a couple years old is there anyway of knowing the shop record at the dealership?

Cheers

Doesn’t seem that impressive at 9l per 100 km. I was getting that in my eco diesel Ram crew cab long box with 3.92 gears. Diesel is to much money these days and emissions cause to much problems, doesn’t make any sense in a half ton or smaller IMO
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM

One of our range members has one, and he had some DPF issues during the cold weather. When searching for a new midsize truck last month, I did some searching online, and this apparently is a common issue. If the vehicle was serviced at a dealership, there will be a record of all services and repairs in the system, and any dealer can access this for the owner.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post

Cheers

9l/100 ?? I get close to that on my full size dura.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think they are quoted at closer to 8l/100km but read that real world with 4*4 it is closer to 9. There is a Colorado in Fort Mac for $35000 with 50,000 km, no doubt expensive but I thought maybe worth it in the long run. It’s good to hear from you guys. The new full size and mid size are getting so efficient.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:25 PM

I can give you some real statistics. I run a ZR2 with a babymax--2018. Best I have done so far is 8.3 - got that a couple times now. 9.2 is pretty common, so I get just a shade over 900km per tank. On average over 12000km I would say 10.2 would be a more realistic number for all around driving. While it gets down to 8-9 on the highway, that's great but how much hwy compared to city are you going to be doing. As for problems, I think all the DEF issues that have surfaced have now been cleared up with updated sensors. People who constantly city drive short trips may be the exception though. I read on the Colorado forum every day so I get a good viewing from actual owners on whats going on. Its like buying a gun---buy what meets your needs.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM

That is some real world data. Thanks! Currently the truck would sit 5 days out of 7 and probably mostly used for camping and hunting trips. Probably less than 15000 km per year. I use my car to commute to work which is 200km a day but I car pool so it’s only every other shift. I figured with a truck like that I might use it more in inclement weather if it was really fuel efficient. But it might not still cover the cost of the Diesel engine for a user like me.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 PM

Hopefully it has more power than the gas unit which has no power at all .
Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Hopefully it has more power than the gas unit which has no power at all .
The V6 in the Canyon/Colorado has over 300hp, and it has excellent acceleration.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM

I took a 2015 for a test drive at a dealer and it felt like it had half of the power as my wife' s Hyundai . Both had v 6 in them
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I took a 2015 for a test drive at a dealer and it felt like it had half of the power as my wife' s Hyundai . Both had v 6 in them
The V6 Canyon runs the 1/4mile in the mid 15 second range, that is pretty quick.