Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Default ATV helmet laws. Looks like the safety nazies are about to strike

looks like the MPP from White Court is going to introduce a bill that will require the use of helmets on ATV,s and snowmobiles. the bill seems to have the support of some snowmobile clubs and of coarse the regular safety police who know far better than us what is good for us. It is my uneducated guess that by spring we will be wearing helmets bear hunting, checking fences or just going for a trail ride. And the beat goes on.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Public health care = tax payer subsidized stupidity.

Why should I and other taxpayers have to pay to keep your vegetative arse alive for the next 20, 40 or 60 years after you drive over your own head?

Tell you what, if you want to ride around with no helmet, go to your lawyer and have him draw up an agreement where if you hurt yourself riding without a helmet the Alberta Government will not be required to spend one red cent on your care.

Do that, and I will back your "freedom of choice" to my dying breath; but the fact is when people hurt themselves we have to all pay for it! And God damn it, I DON'T WANT TO!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
looks like the MPP from White Court is going to introduce a bill that will require the use of helmets on ATV,s and snowmobiles. the bill seems to have the support of some snowmobile clubs and of coarse the regular safety police who know far better than us what is good for us. It is my uneducated guess that by spring we will be wearing helmets bear hunting, checking fences or just going for a trail ride. And the beat goes on.
Don't know if it's such a bad idea have seen a lot of parents that let young riders ride with 1) no helmet 2) improper clothing.3) to big of a machine. And then they wonder what happened when they get hurt. Sometimes you have to educate the grownups in order to educate the young.If I have to wear a helmet to keep a young rider from getting injured it worth it even if I don,t like it.Just my opinion THANKS H
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

Why should I and other taxpayers have to pay to keep your vegetative arse alive for the next 20, 40 or 60 years after you drive over your own head?

Tell you what, if you want to ride around with no helmet, go to your lawyer and have him draw up an agreement where if you hurt yourself riding without a helmet the Alberta Government will not be required to spend one red cent on your care.

Do that, and I will back your "freedom of choice" to my dying breath; but the fact is when people hurt themselves we have to all pay for it! And God damn it, I DON'T WANT TO!
Next time you play hockey and blow out a knee, or play baseball and throw out a shoulder, or play football and get a concussion or go rock climbing and fall or ride a bike and break a leg or or or or or or.

Old argument that doesn't hold water. This has nothing more than the government telling me what is good for me. Stay out of my choices. If it were really about health care then they would have banned booze, cigs and salt.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
How come you don't wear a helmet?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM

If I choose to wear a helmet or not it should be my choice. Not big brother. I'm sick of the government telling me what I can do.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Don't know if it's such a bad idea have seen a lot of parents that let young riders ride with 1) no helmet 2) improper clothing.3) to big of a machine. And then they wonder what happened when they get hurt. Sometimes you have to educate the grownups in order to educate the young.If I have to wear a helmet to keep a young rider from getting injured it worth it even if I don,t like it.Just my opinion THANKS H
i have no problem with people wearing helmets, if you are out thrill seeking, riding hard and fast it is probably a good idea, but it should be a personal choice. As for the kids it is a good idea, but i would think the problem would lie more with a lack of parental supervision.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
WELL THOUGH OUT ANSWER NOT
I did think it out... and I kind of like it. Donkey oaty made the point I would have made anyways. How about ATVers in general sign off their health care as well as people that play rec hockey or ride skateboards. Id say pudelpointers post was at least as poorly though out as mine.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Why should I and other taxpayers have to pay to treat you,and keep you in the hospital if you develop cancer from smoking?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
How come you don't wear a helmet?
I find them hot in the summer, a nuisance when I am hunting and i quite frankly just don,t like them and until now it has been my choice. I choose to ride in a safe and respectful manner and would like to continue to have the freedom of choice
Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM

"I find them hot in the summer, a nuisance when I am hunting and i quite frankly just don,t like them and until now it has been my choice. I choose to ride in a safe and respectful manner and would like to continue to have the freedom of choice" .freedom of choice ,x 10 ,big brother is always telling us whats good for us ,what we should(have to)do,what to eat ect .this isnt freedom .its a few telling the majority what to do ,im sick of it and ever time you turn around "they" are sticking there nose in more and more places.when is it going to end and we can think for ourselves again?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
You can't be serious.

I'm not sure how old you are but I'm assuming early teens so I don't want to be too critical but........

For starters it's everybody's money that has to cover your hospital stay and surgeries.

Secondly there is an exemption in the bill for farmers and others who have chores to do on their property. I'm not sure of the exact wording but it's in there.

I hope as you get older you give some thought to this so that someday if you have children you can protect them.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine Boy View Post
You can't be serious.

I'm not sure how old you are but I'm assuming early teens so I don't want to be too critical but........

For starters it's everybody's money that has to cover your hospital stay and surgeries.

Secondly there is an exemption in the bill for farmers and others who have chores to do on their property. I'm not sure of the exact wording but it's in there.

I hope as you get older you give some thought to this so that someday if you have children you can protect them.
I think that helmet wearing thrill seekers are a far larger threat to your tax dollars than a 44 year old hunter not wearing one

Last edited by mad mountain mike; 11-08-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet. I don't care. I'm not crazy about ATV's so if natural selection cut back the user numbers a bit that would be OK with me. (calm down, it's a joke)

I hear the arguments about it costing the healthcare system but really, we are ALL gonna cost the healthcare system something at some point. And realistically how many catastrophic head injuries result from ATV accidents in a year in Alberta? I'm sure you could count them on your fingers and toes. Certainly less cost than overeating or smoking, drinking, driving, etc.

As long as children have to wear them I'm fine.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense at all.If it is safe for a farmer to not wear a helmet,why isn't it safe for everyone else?It would be like having all professional drivers exempt from the seat belt laws.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That makes no sense at all.If it is safe for a farmer to not wear a helmet,why isn't it safe for everyone else?It would be like having all professional drivers exempt from the seat belt laws.
Farmers and farm workers are exempt from many things, most notably workplace safety laws... sometimes NOT to the benefit of those workers.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Opinion of this taxpayer...

Quote:

How about if you are fat,lazy and overweight or a chain smoker or an alcoholic or a cronic sheep hunter or ride half-broke horses in the mountains, and/or the list goes on and on..... Is this also "freedom of choice" and Pubic health care = tax payer subsidized stupidity???? Children under the age of 18 ? YES. All other adults; THEIR CHOICE. The government already has enough say in peoples lives without giving them more power to dictate a police state agenda that would "make everyone`s life so much better".
Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine Boy View Post
You can't be serious.

You need the government to make a law so you can justify to your kids why you tell them to wear a helmet?

Holly wow man... how about instead try being a parent.

Should we also make laws that stop kids from riding skateboards, climbing trees, walking down stairs too fast?

Helmet laws are the same as seatbelt laws. Lets some do-gooder pat themselves on the back and the government can add several thousand dollars a year to the coffers in fines.

Instead I would prefer to see a law introduced that keeps incompetent people from breeding.

I bet that saves more lives then any helmet law.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM

You know an administration is tired when they start stealing from david swann's playbook. These clowns can't even make the effort to PRETEND to be Conservatives anymore...........pathetic.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Oh I'm sure this is just a small part of the tidal wave of safety thats absolutly washed away all common sense and personal responsibility.

Safety Is a good thing don't get me wrong .But it becomes an endless snowball of beauracracy, owning a businesss teaches you how stacked the deck is against you all the time when it comes to these kinds of things and I could rant endlessly on this topic.

But to stick closer to the issue. I always liked the rationale that the seatbelt law is to protect other drivers from you injuring them. ie if I choose not to wear my seatbelt. I essentially become an unsecured load and personal responibility aside I can't physically stop myself from flying through the windshield and hurting an innocent person (unless i wear a seatbelt).

Now the helmet thing is a little different. It will inevitably come to that I would bet my house, and my worst dog on it. My opinion is that is pretty low on the list of ATV issues they should be trying to deal with. I would put impaired driving and environmental issues as a higher priority. Once they solve those issues (hopefully without NEW Laws) then maybe....

You can't fix stupid, with any sized helmet or PPE. Like they say, "the real safety equipment is between your ears".
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

And I dont Eat at Mcdonalds.. Do you??
We all do things that are not in our best interest, where would you like to draw the line???

Jamie
Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
i did think it out... And i kind of like it. Donkey oaty made the point i would have made anyways. How about atvers in general sign off their health care as well as people that play rec hockey or ride skateboards. Id say pudelpointers post was at least as poorly though out as mine.
this answer makes less sence then your last one so just give up
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Default funny

Love all the cheerleaders for the nanny state. Sign of the times I suppose and relates to another thread about where we are heading as a country.

If you think they will stop at helmet laws...you're mistaken. Can't wait to see what these dopes come up with next.

“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” — C.S.Lewis
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin View Post
"I find them hot in the summer, a nuisance when I am hunting and i quite frankly just don,t like them and until now it has been my choice. I choose to ride in a safe and respectful manner and would like to continue to have the freedom of choice" .freedom of choice ,x 10 ,big brother is always telling us whats good for us ,what we should(have to)do,what to eat ect .this isnt freedom .its a few telling the majority what to do ,im sick of it and ever time you turn around "they" are sticking there nose in more and more places.when is it going to end and we can think for ourselves again?
By the looks of it you need someone to tell you what to do you can't even come up with your own comments oh i'm sorry that X10 was all your I just hope you don't have to have a doctor come and tell you your child or brother has brain damage because of a simple fall off an atv or sled.

H
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
this answer makes less sence then your last one so just give up
I love you.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
By the looks of it you need someone to tell you what to do you can't even come up with your own comments oh i'm sorry that X10 was all your I just hope you don't have to have a doctor come and tell you your child or brother has brain damage because of a simple fall off an atv or sled.

H
And who are you to tell anyone how to run their own lives?

I say leave the government out of our personal lives.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
And I dont Eat at Mcdonalds.. Do you??
We all do things that are not in our best interest, where would you like to draw the line???

Jamie
You are confusing a health issue with a safety issue try again

H
Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Default they don't teach logical thinking anymore...do they?

Quote:
You are confusing a health issue with a safety issue try again

H
Ummm....safety has a direct effect on one's health. Jamies example...was an excellent comparison. Someone is confused...but it's not Jamie.

Thanks for playing...here's the home game.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM

http://www.capitalhealth.ca/NR/rdonl...uriesMar08.pdf

Helmet Use
• Of the those who died while riding an ATV, 66 per cent were not wearing a helmet at the time of their death.
• Of the 10 children (<16 years) who died, 60 per cent were not wearing a helmet.
• The leading cause of death was due to a head injury which accounted for 45 per cent of the deaths.
• Of those who died as a result of a head injury, 83 per cent the deceased were not wearing a helmet.

Its a good read and should shed some light on this topic. Why you wouldn't wear a helmet while using an ATV is beyond me. Do the deer really care if you have helmet head? Probably not, but your family and friends would definately be saying "if he only had a helmet on".
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
http://www.capitalhealth.ca/NR/rdonl...uriesMar08.pdf

Helmet Use
• Of the those who died while riding an ATV, 66 per cent were not wearing a helmet at the time of their death.
• Of the 10 children (<16 years) who died, 60 per cent were not wearing a helmet.
• The leading cause of death was due to a head injury which accounted for 45 per cent of the deaths.
• Of those who died as a result of a head injury, 83 per cent the deceased were not wearing a helmet.

Its a good read and should shed some light on this topic. Why you wouldn't wear a helmet while using an ATV is beyond me. Do the deer really care if you have helmet head? Probably not, but your family and friends would definately be saying "if he only had a helmet on".
Whether I wear a helmet or not is none of your business. Its also none of the governments business.

I personally wear a helmet about 80% of the time. I wear one 100% of the time we are "chewing" That is my choice not the governments. I saw stay out of our individual lives.