Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Default wood stove instilatin

Hey guys i seen a couple posts awhile back about wood stoves...ive always wanted one so me and the wife are thinking hard about putting one in....priced out a few on the weeknd for around 4000.00 installed good price? how much does it affect your insurance? house is 4 years old not huge 1200-1500 square feet i think..want to cut down the heating bills and always wanted one, just trying to get a good price..thanks
Darrell
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
sheephunter

Really depends on the type of stove and the complexity of the instal. I know my insurance rates stay the same but again that could vary with carrier. I'd say shop around a bit.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Default yep

yep i got to check around a bit more when i get back to gp....didnt know there were that many styles,sizes..lol
Darrell
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM

Ooops meant to send P.M.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Gone Hunting

The price sounds a bit high to me, but it depends so much on what you choose and the challenges faced during installation.

We had a wood heater in our old place, heater + firewall + insulated chimney ran around $1500.00 at today's prices. One day install, I would think should cost no more then $1,000.00.

But we had a very plain heater, I figured it's value at around $400.00 new.
Some of the fancy heaters can go for more then $2,000,00. So it might be a fair price in that case.

Do check with your insurance provider. I have known of a few providers who will not insure a house with wood heater installed. Even if you don't use the heater.

My sister had one of those pellet stoves in her house. Her insurance company found out about it and threatened to terminate their insurance if the heater was not removed immediately. No inspection no exceptions no alternatives. Remove or else was the order.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 PM

I just spent 2500 on stove and chimney and i did everything myself. I also bought a fairly cheap stove.
I am insured through Intact and the rate does not change at all. They will not insure a home with any type of wood heat unless it has been inspected by a certified WETT inspector.

http://www.wettinc.ca/search.html
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Default What kind etc.

I spent about $4,000 on mine, self-installed. Good double-wall insulated pipe cost about $2K alone as I remember it, but we needed something like 30 feet of it. Stoves cost all kinds of different prices from about 1K to 10K or more depending on what you like/can afford. I would suggest looking at the welds, how the door works (Make sure you can see it still working in 20 years), gaskets, ceramics inside (most efficient stoves have ceramic baffles), etc. We have an Archgard, it has held up well over the past few years and we burn all winter. I take it as a personal insult if guests can keep their jackets on in my house, we like it warm.

Spend another $50 and get a wood moisture meter, don't burn anything over 20 percent moisture. My chimney runs very, very clean, almost no junk in it after a winter of burning good dry wood, doesn't much matter what the wood is although birch sure is nice if you can get it. If you split and stack in late summer in Alberta almost anything but the nastiest spruce will be under 20 percent by November. The more I burn the less I like spruce, it's a real annoying wood in my experience with it. My insurance didn't change as long I got the installation inspected and pulled the permits etc, no big hassle. I had a local metal shop fab a heatshield, that works real well. HTH.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Default fireplace

We installed a new one 5yrs ago. Went with a Blaze King, princess. It is a cataletic model. Paid a good dollar for it, but have never regretted it. We cut down on over half of wood. We heat over half of our home with wood, so it is easy to monitor how much you use. It has a thermostat, and when flipped to cataletic, it reburns the smoke. That being said, you can burn, anything without plugging your chimmeny. It loves burning creosulte. I can fill it at night..10:00pm and put it on low, and at 7:00am all I have to do is turn up the thermostat and I got flame. can't beat them. research them and other stoves..nothing worse than jamming wood in a stove all night!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Doesn't affect insurance if you get a certified expert to install it, and get a permit!, just make sure you get it cleaned/inspected every year as per fire code or they won't cover you if your house burns down! and like deanmc said make sure the inspector is WETT cerfified or they are not considered qualified.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Here is a link: http://www.newmacfurnaces.com/showroom/index.html

The NCM 120 Classic II is an excellent very efficient wood stove at a very good price (less than $1000.00). Formerly built by Woodchief. We had one in our house when I was a kid & my grandparents also had one - wood heat was our only source of heat. They are available thru any Home Hardware. I will be installing one in one of my cabins next summer. Just an excellent stove all around!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

My friend does installs and has all the inside scoop on stoves...drop me a line if you like and i'll put you in touch.