Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiemoosehunter View Post
Don't know where you work but this is not the usually the case up north.
Im in a heating plant with Alberta Health Services that produces steam for domestic water etc.
its defineantely a different dog than the production feild..pulp and paper, oilfeild etc.
thats why the 10.00 wage difference less for a PE. with little to no overtime.
its all about where you live and play vs where you work to live.

i work 13 12hr shifts per month, get the rest off and 5 weeks a year off holidays full pension and benefits.
i opted to make less 'at work', and have had rental houses and bobcat business on the side to make real money.
either way the PE is an excellent course and job whatever the industry it leads you.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Default Need advice

I have recently just graduated from my 4th class Power Engineering from Nait. I have also passed my part A of the ABSA provincial exam, as well as have my first level of Oil and Gas Productions Operating. Though I am green, I have a good mechanical aptitude, which includes a fair amount of knowledge from being a millwright apprentice. Is there anyone who can provide me with some advice on landing a job? I am young and willing to relocate anywhere that I am able to work. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone616 View Post
I agree with everything everyone has posted so far and highly recomend taking the 2 year course at NAIT or SAIT. It can be quite difficult for alot of people to get steam time for their forth and third, with the two year courses you get all the steam time you need. As well there any many needs for power engineers like others have posted so you can choose a path that will work for you. I work at a chemical plant close to town so i'm home everyday unlike some of my friends who work up north. As some examples i know people who operate the power plant at the hospital, one who runs the steam system on an ocean liner and one of my buddies used to work for Kokanee in their brewery. As you can see it all depends on which way you wanna go and the pay varies widely as well.

Total agree, also get a lot off time off with shift work. I'm at a chemical plant and work 7 days/7 nights in five weeks. I love shift work, lot of time to play or work OT if you need too.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru99 View Post
I have recently just graduated from my 4th class Power Engineering from Nait. I have also passed my part A of the ABSA provincial exam, as well as have my first level of Oil and Gas Productions Operating. Though I am green, I have a good mechanical aptitude, which includes a fair amount of knowledge from being a millwright apprentice. Is there anyone who can provide me with some advice on landing a job? I am young and willing to relocate anywhere that I am able to work. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Look for stuff around Fort Mac.
Suncor,Syncrude.....if you want to relocate to the area it helps a lot but just a 4th Class makes it harder.
Look at workopolis,wow jobs,info mine......