Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 PM

Default Magnum build with Tikka Action

I have done a few different builds with Tikka short actions (6.5x47) and (308) but I am thinking of doing a magnum build. Has anyone done one and have you had any issues with stocks, Chassis and magazines working and being compatabile?

I have done Rem 700 builds (6mm BR) as well but I hate that long bolt throw. I havent heard of anyone doing a tikka magnum build so this might be my only option.

I am thinking of using the new rifle primarily for target shooting.

Thinking of doing a 300WSM and when the barrel wares out on that might try a 300 PRC

Your comments are what I am looking for.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:39 PM

All the tikka rifles are the same action length just different spacers in the mags and separate bolt face depending on the rifle. Any aftermarket stuff should he the same as all your other builds.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-30-2019, 09:47 PM

A 300wsm would be fine but if you wanted to use a 300wm and shoot 200-215gr bullets and seat them out to 3.6”+ the opening on the bottom of the action is not long enough. I have built a 6.5-284 and 257wby on Tikka actions and they work great.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Just things I have found when reloading for a couple Tikka's I have.........

The T3 in 300wm can not be loaded long due to the magazine length. Still accurate but limited with longer bullets like 190 gr berger.

But The m695 Tikka's can be reloaded right to the rifling with space to spare in the mag.

If your doing a custom Tikka I'd look at m695's

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 02-03-2019, 09:41 AM

I must be missing something. There are lots of 300wsm tikkas out there. Find one and it’s already set up for you. Change the barrel if you want it the stock if you want. Whatever. But the action, bolt face and feed angles are already done for you. Why reinvent the wheel?
Old 02-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Default ???

Mark, not trying to be a contrarian in any way, but if you have already done a few builds, why are you wanting to use pedestrian parts such as Rem/Tikka? When building a custom rifle, especially for precision shooting, and with so many tremendous actions available, I just don't get buying an over the counter style action. Unless it is all you can afford, which I am guessing is not the situation, it kind of seems akin to shopping for a nice suit at a garage sale; sure you might get one, but still...
Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Default Good Point

You make a good point. I have migrated from doing builds on Rem 700 actions because I hate the high bolt throw. I could do some kind of 3 lug like a Ultimatum or Defiance.

I must admit that though I love tikka for short action builds, I am nervous about doing a magnum build with one.

I guess I could chase my dream of a AI AX Multi Calibre. I am just not sure I am going to like shooting a magnum. I shoot with a friend out to 1000m and his 300wsm shooting the 200gr plus bullets does way better in the wind then I do with my 6.5x47
Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Default KS Arms

Why not give the guys at KS Arms in Edmonton a call. Tell em what you want and see if there is a match to be had.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:01 AM

How much do you want to spend if you are not sure you really want a magnum? A bare custom action will cost more than a complete Tikka rifle, and you still have to buy a trigger and bottom metal. If you decide that you really didn't want a magnum, you will take a fair loss on a full custom, whereas with a Tikka , you can put the factory barrel and stock back on, sell the rifle, for a small loss, and you only have a stock and barrel left to sell. And with Tikkas becoming more popular, precision stocks are easy to sell.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
You make a good point. I have migrated from doing builds on Rem 700 actions because I hate the high bolt throw. I could do some kind of 3 lug like a Ultimatum or Defiance.

I must admit that though I love tikka for short action builds, I am nervous about doing a magnum build with one.

I guess I could chase my dream of a AI AX Multi Calibre. I am just not sure I am going to like shooting a magnum. I shoot with a friend out to 1000m and his 300wsm shooting the 200gr plus bullets does way better in the wind then I do with my 6.5x47
Mark Have you Shot your friend’s 300 at 1K and if you did how did you do with it competed to your 6.5x47?
Cat
Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Default very Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Mark Have you Shot your friend’s 300 at 1K and if you did how did you do with it competed to your 6.5x47?
Cat
Yes I have shot his 300WSm and it shot amazingly well. I got a couple hits at 1000m. The heavy 200+ gr bullets seem to buck the wind better than the 123gr scenars I was using. Both were coming out of the pipe between 2900fps and 3000fps. Both rifles were pretty heavy with 26" or greater MTU contour barrels.

The 300 had a brake and was quite loud and the recoil was tolerable, my 6.5 doesnt have a brake but still is very mild with recoil due to the nearly 20lbs of weight (with scope). I swore I would never own a rifle with a muzzle brake again but dang if that thing hit that steel like it meant it at that distance. It made it look almost easy. Added a pic of my rifle for context and well dang I love my 6.5 x 47 she is a peach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.5 front view.jpg (29.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 PM

Default Heavy

That looks like it weighs more then 20 pounds.