Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 PM

Default 2007 Hunting Draws Summary

Here it is:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/fishwildli...wssummary.aspx
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
sheephunter

Thanks for the link.....been waiting for it.

A few surprises for sure...the biggest being only three tags for the late-season 408 sheep.....no wonder I didn't draw.....152 priority 4s left....only 50 years to wait.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Well at least it's only an average of 200 years for a goat draw. I think a goat draw for 400-404 should be opened up though. I took more pictures of goats in that area this year than I saw any other animal. Seriously. I'm surprised so many people put in for Elk in the Ya-Ha-Tinda area. Seems like you'd be wasting your time to me. Maybe just people who work in the area and know where the herd is sitting.

Oh well, just going to have to put more time in with my bow and screw paying and waiting 9 years for a chance to harvest a moose.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Thanks for the link.....been waiting for it.

A few surprises for sure...the biggest being only three tags for the late-season 408 sheep.....no wonder I didn't draw.....152 priority 4s left....only 50 years to wait.

Ouch - 3 tags. Hopefully some of those priority 4's throw in the towel.... I know I won't be.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM

2013 at the earlyist for me. Might have to trade in the quad for a wheel chair.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 AM

I think that for some of those areas like the Peace region espicially will have a big drop in tags due to last winters large winter kill.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Is it me or is the Archery Antelpoe & Trophy Antelope %'s seem to be out of Wack. I know Antelope Quota's can vary greatly from year, it all depends on how the Helicopter flys that day.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Is it me or is the Archery Antelpoe & Trophy Antelope %'s seem to be out of Wack. I know Antelope Quota's can vary greatly from year, it all depends on how the Helicopter flys that day.
Out of whack how?

When setting the numbers, I think they factor the number of applicants and the harvest success to come up with that number.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
The 408 draw was concieved because when the Spray Park gobbled up most of the 408 sheep habitat there were no rams killed the year after this. I believe it has been 6 years now since the Park was introduced, and every year there are more rams killed in the general season, and this is meeting management goals. This is why tags have been reduced.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
The 408 draw was concieved because when the Spray Park gobbled up most of the 408 sheep habitat there were no rams killed the year after this. I believe it has been 6 years now since the Park was introduced, and every year there are more rams killed in the general season, and this is meeting management goals. This is why tags have been reduced.

Think you are right Long Draw plus the success rate was really high in 2006 with the bow hunters....higher than ever before and the sheep counts were down slightly in 2007 so I guess it all adds up to less tags but damn...it doesn't make me very hopeful of drawing a tag any time soon.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
sheephunter

I was shocked when I heard how long it took to draw a ewe tag in 402...man, I like eating them way too much to wait that long. Thankfully there are lots of WMUs that require no priority or only a year or two.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Mules in 132

Geez I saw some great bucks in this zone that are going to die from old age with the number of tags available. FS
Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Think you are right Long Draw plus the success rate was really high in 2006 with the bow hunters....higher than ever before and the sheep counts were down slightly in 2007 so I guess it all adds up to less tags but damn...it doesn't make me very hopeful of drawing a tag any time soon.
I hear 'ya on this. I am now commited with this draw as well, although I have 3 points for 410 as well. I plan to stick with the 408 draw and hopefully I get lucky. I just hope they keep this draw, as it seems the summer sheep range is slowly changing in 408- expanding into areas that traditionally only held rams later in October and November. Seems more rams are being killed in 408 over the past few years.

Sheep;
Do you know how many Rams were killed this year in the 408 general season? What about the draw?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
sheephunter

I've only seen a photo of one ram from the late 408 season but not sure how the other two did and no, I'm not sure of the number of rams taken in 408 in the general season but I personally know of 6 and I'm sure there were more. Considering there wasn't a single ram taken in 408 in 2002, things have changed. I think it's partially because there are more legal rams now but there may be other factors. It will be interesting to see what the spring counts show.