Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Default Some pics from Maligne

Went fishing with a fellow co worker on Sunday who invited another friend, turns out it was Troutpirate who incidentally is an amazing fisherman seriously this guy should be guiding!

The troutpirate with 21" of brook trout gotta love that

The day started out beautiful but inevitably we got a good soakin, and headed home. Maligne lake is definetly my new favorite place to fish.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Nice pics guys, that first brookie pic is a beaut, thanks for sharing!

Ayr.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM

i'm really wanting a flyrod now...lol awesome fish..
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Nice brookie for sure in that first pic. Nice pics all around, thanxs for posting.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
brook trout

Default cool

couldnt you go on that rock island and fish? just kiddin! anyway cool pics like the brook trout. nice fly reel.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 AM

Yep! Great pics and report. That first brookie is indeed a nice one.

How was the water clarity? Lake in turnover/runoff yet?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Smile

Nice pictures Kevin. That lake is nutorious for being nice one minute, and then 2 foot rollers with whitecaps ten minutes later. It's a beautiful lake in one of the nicest area's possible. But people have to know that it's also can have some deadly storms. I've been out in a few storms there after a calm day and it can be a nasty ride back if your not prepared. A couple of years ago I towed a couple of kids in a canoe back. They were scared and shaking after being pushed down the lake a ways and not being able to paddle back against the wind. It was all my little electric would do to take us all back. Since then I've gotten myself a larger electric.

The nice thing about Maligne is that even if you don't catch fish it's always nice just to gaze around and admire the view. Fishing isn't always about just catching fish. But catching fish is always a bonus.

Rob
Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM

thanx kevin c.

the lake is the clearest i have ever seen it, at ice out, snapfisher.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM

What's the hot set-up?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM

hey troutpirate I would love to get up to five mile with a mask and flippers to go on a search for my rod, if your ever going and you got an extra spot please calll me.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Default kevin c

lol......sorry, that was kind of funny......makes me feel better about some of my own expensive mishaps

you should of said something earlier. i went back twice already (monday,saturday). i will be going today after it quits raining, but im staying close to home bay.

round up a battery or two and pick a day this week. i can get u very close to that spot. i know that shoal very well.

bring more than just your flippers though. we wouldnt want a little hypothermia to ruin a good day of fishing.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:54 PM

yes we all got a kick outta that seeing my favorite rod bob like the titanic for a moment then disappear lol! If i can find a wet suit that would be awesome but maybe late july or august would be better for a recovery effort! Maybe we can talk Brandon into another trip.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:35 PM

need someone to come along with an extra camera and take pics of you diving for your rod??lmao
Old 06-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C. View Post
yes we all got a kick outta that seeing my favorite rod bob like the titanic for a moment then disappear lol! .
i could see this being misinterpeted!!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Default jnp

Quote:
yes we all got a kick outta that seeing my favorite rod bob like the titanic for a moment then disappear lol! If i can find a wet suit that would be awesome but maybe late july or august would be better for a recovery effort! Maybe we can talk Brandon into another trip.
X2 buckmaster
i dont allow that kind of thing when im playing fishing guide though

kevin, that spot will be slowing down soon. after that i wont be going back til sept. all trips in between will be further down the lake and travelling on the other side. besides, the water doesnt really warm up anyway.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
hey troutpirate I would love to get up to five mile with a mask and flippers to go on a search for my rod, if your ever going and you got an extra spot please calll me.
Kevin C., so what happened? Big fish haul your rod overboard? Dropped? or did Troutpirate throw it overboard?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 PM

I think just a poor decision on my part as to where to store my rod while not being used, but secretly I think TP was jealous I got a nice bow on a chironomid earlier that day with that rod and decided to bump it over the side of the boat! lol Just kiddin TP.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
i could see this being misinterpeted!!
you sicko!

Well I guess Ill have to brave the cold water at somepoint I guess, might as well be sooner than later at least if I am succesful finding it I might be able to some dry fly fishing yet this year. Wifey doesnt like the idea of buying a new one lol!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Default salon

we should do a trip sometime but first a hair cut is in order ha ha
Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Smile

I have a mask/snorkle and fins if you really want to brave the cold water this summer. I used to go swimming in glacier lakes when I was a kid. But I'm older now and not as nieve as I used to be. But for an expensive rod I'd be in there like a shot too. You should be able to rent a wet suit or a dry suit (Dry would be better) from a dive shop. I also have wet suit boots and gloves. You'll be needing those babies down there.

Of course we'd have a flotilla of boats around you with ropes to pull you back up in case you passed out down there. We'd all have camera's at the ready to document your trip into the deep and back.

After the recovery opperation we could all then go fishing.

Doesn't sound like a bad day on the water. As long as the weather gods cooperate that is.

Rob
Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I have a mask/snorkle and fins if you really want to brave the cold water this summer. I used to go swimming in glacier lakes when I was a kid. But I'm older now and not as nieve as I used to be. But for an expensive rod I'd be in there like a shot too. You should be able to rent a wet suit or a dry suit (Dry would be better) from a dive shop. I also have wet suit boots and gloves. You'll be needing those babies down there.

Of course we'd have a flotilla of boats around you with ropes to pull you back up in case you passed out down there. We'd all have camera's at the ready to document your trip into the deep and back.

After the recovery opperation we could all then go fishing.

Doesn't sound like a bad day on the water. As long as the weather gods cooperate that is.

Rob

I like the way your thinkin Kingfisher, and I would definetly be game for it. The rod has more sentimental value than anything as it was the first rod I had custom built and caught alot of my first fish with it. In my mind I was thinking I could just swim on the suface with snorkel and mask to locate it then just use a treble hook and some weight. Hopefully I could hook an eye or the line itself as it is all strung with an indicator and fly in the keeper, all ready to go lol. If I really had to go down to get it maybe a big brick with a rope tied to it so I can pull my self down quicker lol At 18 feet of water it gonna be mighty cold brrrrrrr!