Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Yamaha grizz 700 Problem

I have a dead quad. Blew up a basketball Christmas day and left the key on. Boosted it this morning and started right up. Disconnected booster and put it back together. Couple of minutes running. Jumped on and went to raise the plow and quad immediately died as if I hit the kill switch. No power anywhere. Checked all the fuses I can find: two 15 amp by battery and about 8 or 9 in a fuse block about 4 inches behind them. I put another battery to it in case the battery shorted internally and nada. Are there any more fuses I'm missing. I don't have a manual. Phoned local and he thought battery but I think i eliminated that. This is a 2012 machine.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Sounds like the battery is not taking a charge. Did the battery freeze while it sat for a few days? try pulling the battery, let it thaw out overnight and then put it on a 2A trickle charge. Once it's charged up, put it back in the quad and try it. If it doesnt hold the charge after a couple days, you will need a new battery. wont be a fuse or anything. The reason it died when you hit the winch is that the battery didnt have enough juice to run the winch and the charging system on the quad isn't strong enough for a load with a dead battery, so it shut down. Hope you get it running.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
I have a dead quad. Blew up a basketball Christmas day and left the key on. Boosted it this morning and started right up. Disconnected booster and put it back together. Couple of minutes running. Jumped on and went to raise the plow and quad immediately died as if I hit the kill switch. No power anywhere. Checked all the fuses I can find: two 15 amp by battery and about 8 or 9 in a fuse block about 4 inches behind them. I put another battery to it in case the battery shorted internally and nada. Are there any more fuses I'm missing. I don't have a manual. Phoned local and he thought battery but I think i eliminated that. This is a 2012 machine.
There Should be a larger Main Fuse somewhere(15amp seems small but might not be). Maybe check to see if you can find it ?

Ill do some more digging around for you.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4life View Post
Sounds like the battery is not taking a charge. Did the battery freeze while it sat for a few days? try pulling the battery, let it thaw out overnight and then put it on a 2A trickle charge. Once it's charged up, put it back in the quad and try it. If it doesnt hold the charge after a couple days, you will need a new battery. wont be a fuse or anything. The reason it died when you hit the winch is that the battery didnt have enough juice to run the winch and the charging system on the quad isn't strong enough for a load with a dead battery, so it shut down. Hope you get it running.
Sure sounds to me like a dead battery.

One thing you can check, had it happen to me, everything went dead no reason. The cable running from the pos. side of the battery. Check that it is tight on both ends and that there are no kinks in that cable.

went nuts trying to figure out what was going on with mine till I took the cable off and found a small kink. 15 bucks and it was fixed.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM

It sits in a nice warm comfy garage. I had no problem boosting it. I tried boosting it again after the winch killed it and nothing has power. I'll try taking the battery right out of the equation in case it warped the plates from the high demand from the winch. Almost like a fuse fried in the kill system.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:06 PM

make sure your kill switch is turned on. I've had them accidently flipped to off by a brush of a arm or jacket sleave.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
make sure your kill switch is turned on. I've had them accidently flipped to off by a brush of a arm or jacket sleave.
I've seen a few guys find the kill switch off when they were having problems starting their machines....good advice.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM

There Should be a 30 amp (might be a 40 amp) Fuse Somewhere ? Maybe check around the starter Solenoid. Might be your problem if your battery is still good

Also Check Fuse 1 In your fuse Box

Last edited by BBKiller; 12-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

Hopefully it's not the stator, I had to replace mine. Dirty job.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:28 PM

There should be a little relay pack under your rear fender on the side....will have your battery going to and from it....could be the issue. My kodoak has one there.

LC
Old 12-28-2013, 02:53 PM

Just got back. I had a two amp charger on since this morning and battery is up and charged. I have no power anywhere dash indicators, lights don't shine, normally hear a click when key is turned on. Will go back down and keep looking for a bigger fuse. Nothing under back seat or anywhere at back that I can find. Kill switch was checked first time it quit as that is what i thought happened. I tried googling but my skills on these computer thingys are pretty slim. Lefty, the Kodiak battery is under the seat if I remember. This one is about a foot ahead of the handlebars. I'm wondering if theres a frangible link somewhere. Have to figure out how to get a Duramax to squat if I have to load it.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:00 PM

I had the click one time too and it was the negative post connection on the battery was loose.

The relay pack (not sure that's what it's called) on my quad is tucked under the left side rear fender and looks like this...I think it is related to the winch controls though!

LC
Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM

LC The click I mean is just power coming on in the guage cluster. Those winch controls on this are in back of the winch. Stuff is crammed in pretty good. Whatever this is it conked out everything. Might even be the ignition switch itself but a power demand shouldn't hurt it one would think. BBkiller, I just can't find a bigger fuse. This has a wire from positive terminal to a fuse block affair with a 15 amp going in and another 15 amp with a wire going to the starter. I have power in and out from the battery so I don't think its in the starter system. To add insult to injury my wonky back has surfaced from shovelling this AM so I'm going to have to call it quits for the day. My son has my 09 Grizz so I may get him over here for some troubleshooting. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Couldn't leave it alone so I limped down and there are two 40 amp fuses that are close to the fuse Box I mentioned. Fuses look good. Rechecked the others as well and actually moved spares around just in case and still no lights etc on. I guess I'll have a go at the ignition switch tomorrow. I can't find a specific fuse for the kill system or the guage cluster so there may be some I missed.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Take test light and see if you got juice from the battery to the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator. Double check the kill switch.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 PM

Default grizz prob

I think 4x4life is on the money..
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Default grizz prob

Check under the front rack,you have to remove the rack and then remove the plastic cover,under there you will find a bunch of relays and fuses.
I had a 08 and that is where they are located on mine.
If that doesn't work PM me with your E-mail and i will send you a electronic copy of the manual and parts manual.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Got her guys. One of the 40 amp fuses was kaput. Slaved in a 15 amp and everything came on and she fired right up. All the fuses are located just to the right of the battery if you're at the front looking back. One panel immediately ahead of the handlebars and you're at the battery and the fuses. I've owned about 6 Yamahas and never had many problems but wish to he-- they located everything the same. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Got her guys. One of the 40 amp fuses was kaput. Slaved in a 15 amp and everything came on and she fired right up. All the fuses are located just to the right of the battery if you're at the front looking back. One panel immediately ahead of the handlebars and you're at the battery and the fuses. I've owned about 6 Yamahas and never had many problems but wish to he-- they located everything the same. Appreciate the help.

Figured that was the problem. Glad you got er going.

Thanks for the PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 AM

Talking

Good on ya for finding it. Glad it turned out to be something so simple, but it usually doesn't work that way for me...I'm working on doing the rear pinion seal and rear axle seals on my Rhino right now, and decided to do brake pads while it is apart....Bad idea, now I'm looking for a new brake caliper.finding the kinks about five hundred bucks at a time with this thing. Bought it from someone that didn't believe in maintenance. LOL. It's in good hands now though.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM

I just thought I would update with a few things I learned from this episode that may help others. BBkiller nailed it from the start and my son confirmed the problem and how to check the fuse rather than eyeball.
#1 Never charge a battery over 2 amps. #2. Remove wire to one post if charging in the quad. (protect CPU) #3 The 40 amp fuses may not show as burnt. #4 If boosting a dead battery let it charge up before using or trickle charge it vice boosting if possible. #5. Carry a spare 20 amp and 15 amp fuse' The smaller individual circuits have spares in the fuse block. #6 The 20 amp fuses do not have plug ins like other fuses. The female portion is on the end of the fuse itself. In closing, the electrical demand from the winch engagement must have triggered a high demand from the charging system to fry the fuse or if someone has a better conclusion I'd appreciate it. I'll be off to Stettler in the AM to see how much damage a couple of these fuses are worth. They are approx 3/4 in square and 1 1/2 long. I don't know if vehicles use the same or not. I know Ford has smaller square 20 amp but I've never seen these before.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I just thought I would update with a few things I learned from this episode that may help others. BBkiller nailed it from the start and my son confirmed the problem and how to check the fuse rather than eyeball.
#1 Never charge a battery over 2 amps. #2. Remove wire to one post if charging in the quad. (protect CPU) #3 The 40 amp fuses may not show as burnt. #4 If boosting a dead battery let it charge up before using or trickle charge it vice boosting if possible. #5. Carry a spare 20 amp and 15 amp fuse' The smaller individual circuits have spares in the fuse block. #6 The 20 amp fuses do not have plug ins like other fuses. The female portion is on the end of the fuse itself. In closing, the electrical demand from the winch engagement must have triggered a high demand from the charging system to fry the fuse or if someone has a better conclusion I'd appreciate it. I'll be off to Stettler in the AM to see how much damage a couple of these fuses are worth. They are approx 3/4 in square and 1 1/2 long. I don't know if vehicles use the same or not. I know Ford has smaller square 20 amp but I've never seen these before.
Batteries can safely be charged at over 2 amps without any damage. That being said, I rarely use anything but a battery tender on the battery, when it is installed and connected. A battery tender can be left in place indefinitely,with the battery fully connected, and it will maintain the voltage at a fairly constant voltage, unlike the old style chargers. In fact, I always leave battery tenders installed on my motorcycles, and atvs, when they aren't being used for considerable periods. I won't even own, the old style trickle chargers, because they don't regulate the voltage, nearly as good as a battery tender. As to checking fuses, buy yourself a simple multi meter, and save yourself some aggravation, as just looking at a fuse isn't a reliable means of checking it's condition.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm only passing on a few facts to help others here Elk. The 2 amp was from a Yammy mech who says these batteries have a tendency to warp the plates if on a higher charge. Better to be safe than sorry. I also posted these suggestions as I don't think anyone will have a multi meter with them ten miles back or possibly even at camp. Having one of these Fuses as a spare may save a long hike. I also quoted 20 amp fuse and that should read 40. There are two 40's together about six to 8 inches from the battery. This is the first time the access panel has been off this quad and I only had it off once on the 09 when I installed hand warmers so one doesn't get to trouble shoot much. After further checking one can tell the fuse has a broken contact but it is not readily visible in the machine for older eyes. As you say I removed it as my son advised and metered it to know it failed. I think a meter in the trailer is probably a good idea as well. If I wasn't so old and doddery I would have turned the damn ignition off and wouldn't have had the hassle. Worst part is the sidewalks in the Village aren't cleaned. Wife has already fielded a couple of calls as people think the Village pays me to be a good Samaritan.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm only passing on a few facts to help others here Elk. The 2 amp was from a Yammy mech who says these batteries have a tendency to warp the plates if on a higher charge. Better to be safe than sorry. I also posted these suggestions as I don't think anyone will have a multi meter with them ten miles back or possibly even at camp. Having one of these Fuses as a spare may save a long hike.
No doubt spare fuses are a good idea, but it can be frustrating trying to determine which ones are good, and which ones aren't without a meter. I have an 07 Grizzly myself, and the only thing that I don't like about it, is that there are so many electronics, that can cause issues. Even being an electrician, it isn't nearly as simple to troubleshoot as my old Hondas were.

Quote:
Worst part is the sidewalks in the Village aren't cleaned. Wife has already fielded a couple of calls as people think the Village pays me to be a good Samaritan.
At least you have that option, in the city that I live in, clearing the sidewalk in front of your house, with your ATV will get you a large fine.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-29-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Motors Draw excessive amps on start ups and then back down. Guessing the winch blew it within the first 10 seconds of operation. You shouldn't have a problem if your quad is running. Should never operate a winch without ATV running.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Default Update

I picked up the new fuses this morning at Can Tire. Good thing I took the fried one as there are two sizes of 40 amp fuses and both green. The ones that fit are slightly larger at the base than generic ones at Wally world. A whopping 4.99 per and I'll never have the problem again as I bought two. Just to clarify the quad was running when I activated the winch but it had only run about two or three minutes so the battery was still very weak. I guess whatever regulates the voltage gave it a good shot and it blew the fuse to protect that expensive control unit. Elks bang on about the amount of electronics when you get under the cowling. The sidewalks are done and it was a cheap fix for my carelessness.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Go to tradebit.com and see if there is a manual for your quad. I boughtone for my 08 grizzly for 9 bucks.