Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 12:13 AM

Inexpensive and decent, Grant's Family Reserve. It's blended, but even as a single malt drinker, if I want inexpensive stuff around for when visitors arrive (who don't warrant the good stuff) I use Grants. I can enjoy it well enough for "social" drinking.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 AM

I'd have to add my vote for the 10 yr old Aberlour, which is my go-to drinker for most occasions. Next is the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Both great whisky and a bargain in the sub $40 range at Stupor Store. For special occasions, I have a long list of top shelf bottles. I got a bit crazy in the last month and spent better than $2K on a dozen bottles, mostly on the fine oak Macallans as they are discontinued and getting very hard to find.....but anyway, I think what I am trying to say is enjoy those $40 bottles, but beware that they can lead in a very expensive and delicious direction! And for the record, most of those fine bottles won't be opened for some time, I expect at a wedding or first grandchild type event. I'm saving the 25 yr old Macallan for drinking from the Stanley Cup with my son some day! Hopefully he isn't drafted by Toronto......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Balvenie Double Wood is good, can be found in the $50 range if you look around.

I would suggest going to Chateau Louis Liquor Store and looking around. They have a great selection, provide selections and have a huge selection of private bottlings. My fave is Chateau Louis Murray McDavid Glendullan... I think it's around $50 something a bottle... anyways look there, they have one of the better selections in town.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM

I'm not quite as concerned with the price of a bottle of scotch as I am some other liquor. Unlike a few of you booze hounds LOL, a bottle lasts me a long time. I just like a little sip late in the evening to unwind, let it's warmth wash over me. Not something I'd take to a party or plan to get half way through it in an evening.

and I like this one
Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 AM

I know a guy. Whatever flavor(except good) you want, $100/gallon

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Not under $40, but according to the radio on Wednesday this week, Oakridge Co-op Wine/Spirits Calgary has a single bottle of 50 yr old Glenfiddich scotch (apparently only 50 bottles world wide ?) for the rock bottom, blow out price of ... $38,000 , glad I'm not a scotch drinker ;p
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Not under $40, but according to the radio on Wednesday this week, Oakridge Co-op Wine/Spirits Calgary has a single bottle of 50 yr old Glenfiddich scotch (apparently only 50 bottles world wide ?) for the rock bottom, blow out price of ... $38,000 , glad I'm not a scotch drinker ;p
Insane. What a total waste of cash that could do so much more.

But then I guess that's what 3rd world folks say about the crap we buy.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not quite as concerned with the price of a bottle of scotch as I am some other liquor. Unlike a few of you booze hounds LOL, a bottle lasts me a long time. I just like a little sip late in the evening to unwind, let it's warmth wash over me. Not something I'd take to a party or plan to get half way through it in an evening.

and I like this one
Islay drinker!!! You must like em dirty!

Islay is far too peaty for my liking, but anyone that enjoys scotch is good in my books!

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Under 40 is a bit limiting, I second aberlour and auchentoshen, if you go up a bit into the 40 to 60 range there's a lot of good whiskey, find out what you like, usually people won't like islays at first or ever, start with speysides and islands, and try a bunch out, that's half the fun. Places like the bothy in Edmonton are good to sample a bunch of different whiskies, keep track of what you like, if you're lucky they sell it at superstore, if not check chateau louis, the wines and spirits in Windermere has some good stuff too. Expensive does not necessarily mean you will like it better, bow more has some extremely pricey whiskey that most would hate. If you find yourself in a duty free situation and see a green macallan, buy it, I have never met a person that does not like it.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Last edited by tazzy; 12-13-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 AM

I enjoy the Highlands and Speysides. Even the cheaper The MacAllan 12 year old is around $60 - $70 at Costco. I've tried various "budget" brands, and found them lacking. May as well be drinking Jack Daniels. Scotch isn't good until you hit $60. If you can't afford a $60 - $100 bottle, save up until you can. It will be worth it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I enjoy the Highlands and Speysides. Even the cheaper The MacAllan 12 year old is around $60 - $70 at Costco. I've tried various "budget" brands, and found them lacking. May as well be drinking Jack Daniels. Scotch isn't good until you hit $60. If you can't afford a $60 - $100 bottle, save up until you can. It will be worth it.
Most whisky isn't top shelf until the $60 and up mark, but there are some very notable exceptions as mentioned here. I very much like the 10 yr old Aberlour, sub $40. Last night, I compared it side by side to a bottle of 18 yr old Aberlour $100+ that I bought because I am so fond of the younger. It compared very well. The 18 yr is smoother and more complex, but in some ways the boldness of the 10 yr old is more outstanding (strong caramel and toffee notes which is what I love about that distillery!). Not all 'cheap' whisky is bad, and not all expensive whisky is good. Kind of like wine. I tried a very expensive bottle of Agnoc, and absolutely didn't like it. I would have much preferred the 3 bottles of Aberlour I could have bought for the money.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-14-2013, 02:02 PM

I ran into the quarter cask this last summer and it comes to my house every so often. It's about $40 at superstore. For about $32 at superstore I get Mcllelands. When I can find it, I enjoy Ancnac.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Another vote for Laphroaig, but I prefer the 10yo, about $45 iirc. Sheep Dip ( seriously!) is nice, it's a blend of malts (I think it used to be called vatted) and is around the $40 mark. My favourite blend is Great King Street by Compass Box. These can all be found at superstore or co-op.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Belvenie double wood is by far the best bang for your buck.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Uh oh...

Me and this fine fellow have a date tonight. Just had the first snort and I think I'm in trouble. I'm not at the point I can drink $90 scotch as an everyday drink and this stuff is fantastic. It was on sale at Sobeys for $70 and, being relatively new to scotch and NOT a snob, this is well worth 2 bottles of the 12 yr.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Me and this fine fellow have a date tonight. Just had the first snort and I think I'm in trouble. I'm not at the point I can drink $90 scotch as an everyday drink and this stuff is fantastic. It was on sale at Sobeys for $70 and, being relatively new to scotch and NOT a snob, this is well worth 2 bottles of the 12 yr.

They were giving out tasters of that at Costco last week, it is very nice, finished in Spanish sherry casks I believe. Costco was $89 I think? so you got a smoking deal on a fine whisky.....

Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
They were giving out tasters of that at Costco last week, it is very nice, finished in Spanish sherry casks I believe. Costco was $89 I think? so you got a smoking deal on a fine whisky.....
Tom, I wish I was more familiar with tasting and descriptors, then I could probably do a better job describing it. I thought the Dalwhinnie was smooth but this is the first that made me want to drink it neat vs. over a cube or two. Had the first taste over a cube and really noticed just how much was lost after the ice started to melt. Since then, only neat. About 1/3 through the bottle, that's enough for now. Told my wife that Santa may want to hit Sobeys while the sale was on :-).
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 PM

I have mentioned this before and will again, if you can buy non-chill filtered whisky. Most big companies filter their whiskies, they run the whisky through an ice cold pipe which pulls the oils out of the liquid. The oils give it flavour, much like using butter in a recipe... Fat=flavour

A non chill filtered scotch will go cloudy when poured over ice, you want this trust me.

Tullabardine is a wonderful non fill filtered scotch. Look for it on the label.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:23 AM

I drink The Macallen 20 year old single malt and it taste really good.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Tom, I wish I was more familiar with tasting and descriptors, then I could probably do a better job describing it. I thought the Dalwhinnie was smooth but this is the first that made me want to drink it neat vs. over a cube or two. Had the first taste over a cube and really noticed just how much was lost after the ice started to melt. Since then, only neat. About 1/3 through the bottle, that's enough for now. Told my wife that Santa may want to hit Sobeys while the sale was on :-).
If you can go to a tasting or two now and again, it is nice to start learning how to experience the various attributes of whisky. I drink mine 'virtually neat' now, meaning i add a drop (and only a little drop) of distilled water in mine, as it releases the oils and really opens up the nose and palate on it. I learned that from an old whisky drinker at a tasting, and you can actually see the whisky cloud a bit when you put the drop in, much as Kanonfodder describes. He is correct about the non chill filter leaving more essential oils in too, but there are some cold filtered whisky that I still adore. I don't like my whisky over ice as I find that the nosing is not as nice, when I use my Glencairn glass it warms the whisky in your hand and releases the bouquet (sp?) and you can really appreciate the nosing. Probably my favorite part of drinking whisky is nosing. Although I love all the parts after too!!

Also, when you are drinking cask strength whisky (which will run 43-56% alcohol) putting in a drop or two of water tames it a bit so it doesn't burn your palate.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-15-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 AM

40 range: aberlour; glenmorangie (original); quarter cask (love it); couple years ago came across 12 yr Highland Park on sale for about 43, loaded up on it. Drink these typically for my regulars. Have a selection of the 70-150 range for the occassional dram of the real good stuff. Anybody who's really into peat, I recommend bruchladdich Octomore (coop carries it, has a peat rating of 150ppm, almost double lagavullin).
Old 12-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
40 range: aberlour; glenmorangie (original); quarter cask (love it); couple years ago came across 12 yr Highland Park on sale for about 43, loaded up on it. Drink these typically for my regulars. Have a selection of the 70-150 range for the occassional dram of the real good stuff. Anybody who's really into peat, I recommend bruchladdich Octomore (coop carries it, has a peat rating of 150ppm, almost double lagavullin).
You picked up 12 yr old Highland Park for $43?! I guess I'd stock up too....like a pallet or so! lucky you, that is a great dram, and the 15 is better yet. I stocked up on Macallan a week ago, picked up their last bottle of 21, the last 4 bottles of 18 yr, and a couple of 15 yr (I still had one at home almost full). Someday, many years from now, I'll post about having those, thereby inviting an armed home invasion of whiskyphiles!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Coop will have some on sale soon!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Smile Good Scotch

Have you tried Johnny Walker Black? A now deceased Scottish friend liked it quite well and believe me, he knew his onions. A 26 should be in your price range. Sadly it is a blend. Cheers!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You picked up 12 yr old Highland Park for $43?! I guess I'd stock up too....like a pallet or so! lucky you, that is a great dram, and the 15 is better yet. I stocked up on Macallan a week ago, picked up their last bottle of 21, the last 4 bottles of 18 yr, and a couple of 15 yr (I still had one at home almost full). Someday, many years from now, I'll post about having those, thereby inviting an armed home invasion of whiskyphiles!
Yes, definitely the best deal I've come by. I haven't seen the 15 but see the 18 for around 100 I think and on the odd occasion that I pick something up in that price range it's usually an islay!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post
Inexpensive and decent, Grant's Family Reserve. It's blended, but even as a single malt drinker, if I want inexpensive stuff around for when visitors arrive (who don't warrant the good stuff) I use Grants. I can enjoy it well enough for "social" drinking.
Catto's is good for a blended scotch! Personally, my favorite scotch is rum!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 PM

In that price range i have found the Auchentoshan to be good. Spend 20 bucks more gets you into DoubleWood.

Hit up Wine & Beyond by Cabelas in Edmonton. They have a scotch tasting bar there, and some VERY knowledgable spirits people there.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Speyburn

Give speyburn highland a try its also a single malt
But over your budget at 41.25
Keep this post rolling..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.5 KB, 8 views)