Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

Default An idea whose time has come: Voluntary taxes

The left's favourite country has come up with a brilliant idea, and one which I would gladly advocate for here in Canada. For all those that clamour for government largesse I have a proposal for you: voluntary taxes.

So far it is working as brilliantly as any rational person might suppose.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ably-in-norway

Quote:
Eager to pay more taxes? Then look no further than Norway.

Hammered by the opposition for slashing taxes and going on a spending spree with the country’s oil money, the center-right government has hit back with a bold proposal: voluntary contributions.

Launched in June, the initiative has received a lukewarm reception, with the equivalent of just $1,325 in extra revenue being collected so far, according to the Finance Ministry. That’s not much for a country of 5.3 million people, many of whom are already accustomed to paying some of the highest taxes in the world (the top rate of income tax is 46.7 percent).

“The tax scheme was set up to allow those who want to pay more taxes to do so in a simple and straightforward way,” Finance Minister Siv Jensen said in an emailed comment. “If anyone thinks the tax level is too low, they now have the chance to pay more.”

Soon after assuming office, in late 2013, the Norwegian government was faced with one of the worst economic shocks in a generation as the price of crude plunged. The government responded by aggressively cutting taxes and tapping into the country’s massive wealth fund for the first time.

Left-of-center opposition parties claimed the tax cuts would benefit the richest and boost inequality. Jonas Gahr Store, the wealthy Labor Party contender who is leading in the polls ahead of the September 11 elections, has so far refused to take up the government’s offer.

Ironically, it was Store, whose net worth is $8 million, who prodded the government into action by complaining earlier this year that he had ended up paying less taxes under the current administration.

“This is an election campaign showcase by the government,” said Harald Jacobsen, a political adviser at the Labor party, who argues that the scheme has cost more than what it has generated.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Where's the lineup for volunteers start?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM

It's actually a great idea. We should bring it in here...

Everyone who agrees with paying canadian terrorists for killing American soldiers should volunteer to pay a little bit extra to compensate him. That way the bleeding hearts among us can feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and the rest of us won't be annoyed at tax dollars funding terrorism.
Win-win
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Banned

I can already hear some people saying it would never work. That you would have problems signing people up for it etc. We could save time and money by simply having people sign up for voluntary taxes every election. You just vote Liberal to have 40% of your income taken from you, NDP to have 60% taken from you, Conservative to have 39% taken from you or Libertarian if you chose not to pay any taxes at all.

Should work beautifully.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:19 PM

The people who want more program spending want the money to come out of YOUR taxes, not theirs.
That is the base of the immorality of the left.
Charging a higher tax rate to people who make more is immoral. It's like charging a family more for a loaf of bread if both the parents work.
Rant over!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
The people who want more program spending want the money to come out of YOUR taxes, not theirs.
Charging a higher tax rate to people who make more is immoral. It's like charging a family more for a loaf of bread if both the parents work.
Rant over!
When you put it like that, it makes progressive income taxes sound like people are hiring the government to steal from hard working citizens. And the harder you work, the more they steal. That can't be right can it?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:24 PM

There is a program like that in Canada. I"m trying to remember the name, but it's something like 'Donations to Reduce the Canadian Debt' or 'Donations to reduce the public debt.' If I think of the name, I'll post it.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I can already hear some people saying it would never work. That you would have problems signing people up for it etc. We could save time and money by simply having people sign up for voluntary taxes every election. You just vote Liberal to have 40% of your income taken from you, NDP to have 60% taken from you, Conservative to have 39% taken from you or Libertarian if you chose not to pay any taxes at all.

Should work beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Rant over!
Quote:
When you put it like that, it makes progressive income taxes sound like people are hiring the government to steal from hard working citizens. And the harder you work, the more they steal. That can't be right can it?
Why do we not have a 'LIKE' button on this forum yet?

Sign me up as a Conservative, I don't mind paying and contributing for the things we all enjoy in our country that are good.

I'd like to see a type of tax allocation system in place, where a base amount of your taxes would go into the general revenue coffers to be used by the Government as it sees fit (since we only elect responsible and accountable governements), but there would be a portion (maybe 30%?) that the taxpayer could specifically allocate. Such as defense spending, health, research and education, arts and parades (), immigration, humanitarian aid to foreign countries, huge rubber ducks....whatever. That would show in a hurry what Canadians prioritize.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Why do we not have a 'LIKE' button on this forum yet?

Sign me up as a Conservative, I don't mind paying and contributing for the things we all enjoy in our country that are good.

I'd like to see a type of tax allocation system in place, where a base amount of your taxes would go into the general revenue coffers to be used by the Government as it sees fit (since we only elect responsible and accountable governements), but there would be a portion (maybe 30%?) that the taxpayer could specifically allocate. Such as defense spending, health, research and education, arts and parades (), immigration, humanitarian aid to foreign countries, huge rubber ducks....whatever. That would show in a hurry what Canadians prioritize.
This brings up the question of what ARE the vital services that a government should be providing and what are the "frills"?

Some vitals quickly off the top of my head, IMHO:
1. Defence spending.
2. Law enforcement.
3. Certain infrastructure like roads, water, sewer. (although I could be swayed to put these in the frills category as well and leave them to private companies)

Maybe take a set amount (absolute amount, not rate) from everyone over 18 or 20 or whatever for the vitals and then allow everyone to give whatever they feel like to the CBC, Gordon Pinsent, etc

Just spitballing...
Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 PM

Governments should spend money on prisons, and roads (because that's how you get people to the prisons)
Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
This brings up the question of what ARE the vital services that a government should be providing and what are the "frills"?

Some vitals quickly off the top of my head, IMHO:
1. Defence spending.
2. Law enforcement.
3. Certain infrastructure like roads, water, sewer. (although I could be swayed to put these in the frills category as well and leave them to private companies)

Maybe take a set amount (absolute amount, not rate) from everyone over 18 or 20 or whatever for the vitals and then allow everyone to give whatever they feel like to the CBC, Gordon Pinsent, etc

Just spitballing...
Like you said, national defence. Another one would be actual law enforcement, not this law enforcement for cash that they have going now. Protection of property. A third one would be administration and settlement of disputes, and protection of rights. Not these everyone should get everything for free and make the rich pay rights, but actual rights.

I get that rights are something that are subjective. Way back in history, the debate goes about what are rights, and what are privileges. Education as a formal event such as schools, colleges, and universities were a luxury. Most were educated by learning how to do things, apprenticeship, etc. To this day, people still argue about what are rights, and what are privileges.

My own opinion is that one's rights end where they encroach on the actual rights of another. Actual rights are protection of life, administration of justice, and protection of ones' property.

Entertainment and arts are not a right...