Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 AM

Default Firearms storage---worth reading, case law

Now, this does pertain to prohibited guns. Basically, this guys lockups were not adequate for storage of prohibited guns, and he didn't comply with the law, as they prosecuted him, and then he apparently "won" his case. It does give some indication of what they consider adequate. And then the gong show with the TO police, certainly not a nice situation to be in.

http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...-Judgement.pdf

Last edited by 32-40win; 05-24-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:27 AM

Interesting read. Is a school locker adequate for storage of restricted and prohibited firearms? I personally don't want the headache and I have always had a safe or two to lock up the firearms and with my home alarm system that is always used, I don't think the police would have an issue.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM

If I read that correctly - a locker qualifies as a gun safe? Is that how you read that?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM

Default Storage

In this Case the subject may have been targeted by police because of who he was.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...-lives-on.html
Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Shooting Xs

I read it as the lockers satisfied the courts as adequate for gun storage as per the Regulations definition of "safe" storage .
Interesting that they noted that given enough time any safe or storage unit, as defined , can be breached.
I bet they weren't impressed with the bedbug infestation in their vault and testing facility ,wonder how many other cases were affected by the fumigation.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
I read it as the lockers satisfied the courts as adequate for gun storage as per the Regulations definition of "safe" storage .
Interesting that they noted that given enough time any safe or storage unit, as defined , can be breached.
I bet they weren't impressed with the bedbug infestation in their vault and testing facility ,wonder how many other cases were affected by the fumigation.
The simple fact, is that many so called gun safes are no more secure than a steel locker. And yes, most safes can be broken into with basic tools and a little time. As such, my concern is to meet the legal storage requirements, rather than spending a small fortune trying to lock up my firearms so no serious criminal can steal them.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
[14] The word "safe" is not defined in the Storage, Display,Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations, the Firearms Act or in the Criminal Code. The approach to be followed in such circumstances is described by the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. CD.; R. v. C.D.K., [2005] S.C.J. NQ 79 at ~27: In order to determine the meaning of an undefined term in a statute, it is now well established that a court is to read the words making up the term "in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act, and the intention of Parliament" .... [citations omitted]
[15] The dictionary definitions of "safe" generally describe the noun as a "strong container, usually of metal, and provided with a secure lock for storing valuables": see Black's Law Dictionary, 5th edition; Dictionary. com, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/safe;
~35. In my view, an interpretation of the word"safe" in its ordinary, dictionary meaning of a metal container with a secure lock is consistent with the objectives of the legislation and the intent of Parliament.
[22] I find that the cabinets in which the defendant's prohibited firearms were stored fall within the definition
of a· safe.
Both of the lockers in which the prohibited firearms were stored were made of steel. Each cabinet was securely locked: one by a key and a padlock; the other by a locking system that uses a key to unbolt rods in the door from the frame of the unit.
Looks like the judge said the lockers meet the definition of a "safe"

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM

How does a guy with a past of charges and the title of Supreme Leader of a motor cycle gang get approved to own Prohibs???????
Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
How does a guy with a past of charges and the title of Supreme Leader of a motor cycle gang get approved to own Prohibs???????
I think its. Two reasons
1 right to free association
2 innocent till proven guilty
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact, is that many so called gun safes are no more secure than a steel locker. And yes, most safes can be broken into with basic tools and a little time. As such, my concern is to meet the legal storage requirements, rather than spending a small fortune trying to lock up my firearms so no serious criminal can steal them.
according to YouTube some well made gun safes can easily be broken into in seconds with a feeler gauge!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 PM
Banned

Default Safe Stoage : What Crap

If the storage safe is in a home that is occupied the occupant will have to open the safe or be tortured, choked, abused etc. If the home is unoccupied, and only firearms are the object of the crime then they will wait until the home is occupied. This is why home invasions focus on guns because the occupant of the home will hand over the guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjUz...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-25-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I think its. Two reasons
Ha. Nice 👍
Old 05-25-2018, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Red face

Quote:
I think its. Two reasons
And if you don't drop these so called charges I have a few friends that will take you fishing in a few years......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Correct. And if your house is unoccupied for any length of time, the serious guy will get your firearms, safe or not.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I think its. Two reasons
A good crooked lawyer and lotsa cash,hell there's guy's payen 50 grand plus on 7 DUI'S and driven the next day.Plus if someone wants your firearms bad enough they will get them,unless they can't find them which is the best way to go,let them tear the house down if they want them.Keep a pile of junkers in your gun safe and the rest I will leave up to you to figure it out.Never show no one how or where in your home and unless they know exactly where, they won't get them.If they can't be found there safe .