Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Would anyone frown upon a small ling fry to give the kids a taste of fresh fish?
Ohhhh you mean fry a few, thought you wanted to feed them minnows

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 AM

Default donate if you like.....

i will probably be busy chubb but i will donate 100 dollars to what ever you feel fit to do with it. if you want it pm me and i will send to you ,,,, txs

Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
considerations for date
first weekend in Feb...maybe too cold?
second week end is out...calagry sportsman show
third weekend is out...family day and conflicts with the Make a Wish derby at Wabamum
Last week end....maybe mushy?
thoughts?
First weekend is fine, we never know what will be cold or not. Maybe we can talk to our good friends at WSS or other places and see if some mitt and boot warmers might be donated or discounted for this event. They are cheap ($1 per set of 2) and even at cost might be affordable with some help. Plus, we can probably get a propane heated tent of some sort going on as a warm up hut, and leave us adults out manning the bell topped fishin rods.

I'm sure the walleye at PCR would be on a feeding frenzy.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
i will probably be busy chubb but i will donate 100 dollars to what ever you feel fit to do with it. if you want it pm me and i will send to you ,,,, txs

Everyones generousity gives a guy hope the world is still a good place.
I accept on behalf of the kids and will tell you where the monies are spent later.Im also working on volunteer prizes. But i assure you your cash will go to the kids
99% sure the date is the last saturday of Feb....Feb 25th. With a start time of 10am and a wrap up at 3pm.....food and drink provided all day.....auger competition at half time.
Its my hope that this leaves the evening and night for people to enjoy some fishing.....Wayne C might even hold a pcr burb clinic for us less experienced.

Folks im swamped with details to nail down...eg porta potties, safety etc etc.
Please dont lose excitement..i will make a official announcement soon.

And again thank you all so very much

Last edited by chubbdarter; 11-30-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 PM

chubb - PM me if you want me to take care of any of these things. I am off work for the next few days and can do so work to look into things to make it a bit easier for you bud
Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
chubb - PM me if you want me to take care of any of these things. I am off work for the next few days and can do so work to look into things to make it a bit easier for you bud
Sliver your contribution to this thread is huge...thank you so very much.
Im waiting on final numbers at this time and will gladly accept any help you can give at that time.

I can update some good news of generousity

AO member Dago has offered up a 1 day guided sturgeon trip on the SSR for 3 people next season. This prize will be presented to a volunteer of thie event. Dago has a jet boat and as seen by pictures and stories here on AO, he is a quality angler. Thank You Dago

should it be a door prize?
should it be a toonie a ticket and donated on site back to the B@G club?
open to ideas.

We presently are communicating with the Calgary club, Airdrie club and the Diamond Valley club, DVC services Turner Valley,Nanton and Black Diamond. The smaller clubs are very interested as they dont get many offers.
I will update as soon as the numbers come in.

Because this event is tying me down to my blackberry, any of you who have volunteered please pm me your email addy and i can try keep you updated better that way....thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

Growing up in Forest Lawn in the seventies Boys Club felt like the only place to go sometimes to hang out and for something fun to do without drugs or booze. Im sure we would have got into more trouble than we did if not for them.

These kids are teenagers who are just making their most important choices in life, and for them to see that there are people who care about them enough to invest their time and effort can be a very positive influence in their lives.

Thank you everyone...you guys are awesome!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Dagos offer

Ive had the pleasure of fishing with this guy a few times, quality angler, and he knows where the fish hide. I say make it 5 bucks a ticket for the draw, especially when you consider how much a guide charges for the same trip. Even 20 bucks a ticket would be a bargain. Just so you can see what you might be getting into, this is my personal best sturgeon caught while out with Dago this fall.

Oh and sign me up for a ticket If this event is going to happen the same weekend as the Newell Derby let us know fairly early if you can, I wont buy a derby ticket in that case. Id rather take the kids fishing. And hang around for some burbs.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Growing up in Forest Lawn in the seventies Boys Club felt like the only place to go sometimes to hang out and for something fun to do without drugs or booze. Im sure we would have got into more trouble than we did if not for them.

These kids are teenagers who are just making their most important choices in life, and for them to see that there are people who care about them enough to invest their time and effort can be a very positive influence in their lives.

Thank you everyone...you guys are awesome!
That gives this a true and real meaning.....thank you
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ive had the pleasure of fishing with this guy a few times, quality angler, and he knows where the fish hide. I say make it 5 bucks a ticket for the draw, especially when you consider how much a guide charges for the same trip. Even 20 bucks a ticket would be a bargain. Just so you can see what you might be getting into, this is my personal best sturgeon caught while out with Dago this fall.

Oh and sign me up for a ticket If this event is going to happen the same weekend as the Newell Derby let us know fairly early if you can, I wont buy a derby ticket in that case. Id rather take the kids fishing. And hang around for some burbs.
Okay thats one vote to collect a fee and return all money back to the clubs.

Wayne the date will be FEB 25th....the last saturday of the month.
I look forward to meeting you. Hopefully after the event you can put on a pcr clinic for the fisherman who choose to fish later.

Thanks WC, your participation is greatly appreciated.

To all those who are concerned, I know its along way away yet and its hard to say what happens in our day to day lives. Please if you can post you can help and keep that obligation as best you can.
It can be a long process organizing all this with all parties and sponsors, so i have begun early to provide the best event possible.
Thanks to everyne
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM

Newell Derby should be the previous weekend, cool. I should be finished celebrating my big win by then. yah right. Lots of good people on this forum who fish PCR, thats who I learned from, going to be some pretty happy kids that weekend. Might be an idea if someone finds cleats on sale for a good price to post it so we can grab a bunch for the kids, I know how slick it can get. I remember people making them from leather straps and bottlecaps, but those came on dinosaur milk. Hmmmm and beer bottles.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 PM

I have contacted people and asked about the combos for the kids. I am hoping to hear back soon. They will just need to know numbers whenever that becomes available.

I am also in a vote for a fee for raffle tickets for the trip with Dago in the jet boat.

This sounds like it will be a really fun time. Hopefully the weather is good and we can get all those kids into more fish then they know what to do with.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Newell Derby should be the previous weekend, cool. I should be finished celebrating my big win by then. yah right. Lots of good people on this forum who fish PCR, thats who I learned from, going to be some pretty happy kids that weekend. Might be an idea if someone finds cleats on sale for a good price to post it so we can grab a bunch for the kids, I know how slick it can get. I remember people making them from leather straps and bottlecaps, but those came on dinosaur milk. Hmmmm and beer bottles.
I know that princess auto always has those stretchy cleats for like $5 a pair and they have 3-4 different sizes normally.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 PM

discussions are on going but some indications show our numbers will be around the 100 mark. Nothing is concrete!!
The B and G club will be providing adult supervisors also.
My goal to give the kids a great day is to supply enough fisherman to act as guides .....bait hooks, tie hooks, help with technique,unhook fish, drill holes and tell good fish stories to keep them smiling.
Our most important goal is to provide the kids with a fun and safe day.
Regional CO's and Bio's will be invited. If data can be collected great, if not they can have a hot dog and some hot choco and visit.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Ok, I don't know if they will be into donating that many combos but all I can do is ask and see what happens.

I can probably also bring some jigs or maybe put together an order from bass pro or cabelas for there in house glow jigs. They are a really good price and glow pretty good. It would keep the cost down.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Ok, I don't know if they will be into donating that many combos but all I can do is ask and see what happens.

I can probably also bring some jigs or maybe put together an order from bass pro or cabelas for there in house glow jigs. They are a really good price and glow pretty good. It would keep the cost down.
Nate no matter how big or how small every donation is greatly appreciated.
Its actually come down to how many kids i can accommodate with the supplies that will be available.
I have a tough time saying No to any kid, so as long as the kids are going to be safe i will seek the equipment and other items to ensure their fun.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Chubb, with this being a volunteer event and for a good cause, are the local CO's waiving licensing for some of the kids who may fall over the 16 year mark, but under 18? Not sure age restrictions of the club.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Nate no matter how big or how small every donation is greatly appreciated.
Its actually come down to how many kids i can accommodate with the supplies that will be available.
I have a tough time saying No to any kid, so as long as the kids are going to be safe i will seek the equipment and other items to ensure their fun.
Ya I guess if I can get even get half or 3/4's of the rods needed it will be better then nothing at all.

I am going to be out and about tomorrow so I will go talk to the manager at wholesale down here and see if they can donate anything to the cause. Maybe the line for the combos and some jigs or something that can be used at the event. I will post on this thread and let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks chubb for getting this event all organized. It will be a ton of work to get it all put together but should be a fun event for all involved.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Chubb, with this being a volunteer event and for a good cause, are the local CO's waiving licensing for some of the kids who may fall over the 16 year mark, but under 18? Not sure age restrictions of the club.
that issue has been looked after
our primary age group may be 12 to 17....that is not written in stone yet.
Clubs in the discussion are from Turner Valley, Nanton, Black Diamond,Calgary and Airdrie. Some of the small town clubs get few offers for something like this and have shown alot of interest.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Ya I guess if I can get even get half or 3/4's of the rods needed it will be better then nothing at all.

I am going to be out and about tomorrow so I will go talk to the manager at wholesale down here and see if they can donate anything to the cause. Maybe the line for the combos and some jigs or something that can be used at the event. I will post on this thread and let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks chubb for getting this event all organized. It will be a ton of work to get it all put together but should be a fun event for all involved.
Nate if they or anyone you approach requires a agenda letter please get their emails and i will forward to them
thank you for helping
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I know that princess auto always has those stretchy cleats for like $5 a pair and they have 3-4 different sizes normally.
Maybe if you get a chance you could see about a bulk discount? 100 pairs should be good for some sort of deal, if theres lots of snow cover they wont be a big deal, but it can get pretty slick down there with the breeze. Id say ask I Like Trout about kissing the ice down there, but I kissed it myself twice in one day last weekend so I cant make fun of him anymore

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 PM

Will do chubb.

Wayne I will stop by there and see what princess auto can do for us also. Maybe we can get a donation or discount from them.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM

Thumbs up Ice fishing with youths

Quote:
Will do chubb.

Wayne I will stop by there and see what princess auto can do for us also. Maybe we can get a donation or discount from them.
Hey guys...I am one of the founders of a youth charity here takes kids fishing. We have participated with one of these similar events at Pigeon Lake and the bonus was a plane flying over the lake dropping off bags of candy lol... but seriously the fishing experience and camedrie hands down is a ton of fun. Alike the Laclabiche guy, I am quite comfortable with a bunch of kids and fishing...plus the advocating for kids to come out and join in. If your interested in further having a small charity come onboard and advocate, volunteer we are interested. Our kits are for the lakes not ice fishing. Definitely a pre instructional orientation day is highly recommended.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
My goal to give the kids a great day is to supply enough fisherman to act as guides .....bait hooks, tie hooks, help with technique,unhook fish, drill holes and tell good fish stories to keep them smiling.

i can accommodate with gear and bait a dozen or so anglers. i would be happy to assist and share my ice fishing knowledge with them in the few hours allotted for the event. i also will bring both a flasher and a camera and make sure each angler gets a chance to experience fishing with electronics as well.

depending on the number of volunteers to assist directly with the anglers, it would be beneficial to limit the “guide to kid” numbers. i organized an event at PCR a couple summers ago for Fathers and Sons. as many of you know the action can be furious at times. We caught a few that evening, and i was kept hoping re-baiting rigs and assisting in releasing the entire time. we can only pray for that kind of bite on Feb 25th. having volunteers ready to assist inexperienced or first time anglers unhooking and returning fish to the water properly and as quick as possible is an essential part for any successful event.

the purposed donated sturgeon fishing trip with Dago in his jet is awesome. thanks Dago, i also would be in for buying a ticket or two for sure.

Dace
Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM

Dace - I would have to agree on the ratio idea - should set it around 5:1 or so, that way we can have 'pods' on the lake, maybe a circle type of deal, with a cleared space in he middle for skating if it works out okay? Ideas?

I'll try and supply burgers, and I'll see if a rental agency I know of would donate a big propane BBQ for the event, which would need to be picked up by someone with a truck/hitch (don't think ANYYYYYYYYYYY of us have those right?)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:53 PM

When we had the family gathering on Gull a couple winters ago, one of the members had a wall tent set up, with a big woodstove inside, it was a great place to mingle and keep a coffee pot going. odds are it may be too windy to set one up on PCR, but if not it would be a great idea. Maybe even a couple if they are available.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Thanks EVERYONE....contacts have been made, discussions are on going.
Thanks to Dace, Sliver, Gl2, Horsetrader, Mikeo for all your work behind the scenes. Leg work and liason work is time consumming and much appreciated. Im having minor body work done to keep this old body going and youve indeed taken alot of wieght off my shoulders...thank you.

One thing we must consider if we are to operate any electronics is every child must get a chance. Also any special HOT hooks we supply, we best have one for every child.

Every thing is progressing, maybe not as fast as i like.....lol..but its looking great.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Can I suggest that Roachman be our chef? C'mon roach, you proclaim to be the best I'd even be your wing man on the bbq
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Can I suggest that Roachman be our chef? C'mon roach, you proclaim to be the best I'd even be your wing man on the bbq
If man power allows that will be great....please dont be disappointed if i need every fisherman acting as a guide and have a B@G rep cooking.

Food tastes great outdoors no matter who cooks.............right?.....lol
Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks EVERYONE....contacts have been made, discussions are on going.
Thanks to Dace, Sliver, Gl2, Horsetrader, Mikeo for all your work behind the scenes. Leg work and liason work is time consumming and much appreciated. Im having minor body work done to keep this old body going and youve indeed taken alot of wieght off my shoulders...thank you.

One thing we must consider if we are to operate any electronics is every child must get a chance. Also any special HOT hooks we supply, we best have one for every child.

Every thing is progressing, maybe not as fast as i like.....lol..but its looking great.
I got two marcum cams that i can bring...

And I have a Aqua vu explore 7 with a marcum panner if some one pays $150.00 or as close to it as posable i will deliver it or ship it my cost. The money is to be sent to Chub for the B&G club ice day to be use where he sees fit.