Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yes. Get with the program newbie.
HA HA HA HA!!!!! Resistance is Futile!! I must conform or leave?? Sorry for being a pain in the butt, guess nobody forced anyone to read... HA HA HA!!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
HA HA HA HA!!!!! Resistance is Futile!! I must conform or leave?? Sorry for being a pain in the butt, guess nobody forced anyone to read... HA HA HA!!
Oh please. You asked "Is this where some people start to use profanity and call each other &^%* morons?" and I jokingly replied "Yes. Get with the program newbie. "
Sheesh.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Oh please. You asked "Is this where some people start to use profanity and call each other &^%* morons?" and I jokingly replied "Yes. Get with the program newbie. "
Sheesh.
I got it... really I did I was actually refering to a previous comment by one of the other posters... I actully laughed pretty hard when I read yours...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM

The trick I use when taking a barb off is to sqeeze the barb with a pair of pliers and then with my free hand role the hook back and forth. 99% of the time this causes the barb to break off.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Geez, I'm just glad that you can actually buy barbless hooks somewhere! I actually didn't realize there were any available. Will save having to remember to pinch. Never been to the Fishing hole before. Have to check it out.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM

There's a few barbless hooks out there but selection is pretty limited. Good luck if you're trying to find barbless brand name lures..

For the forseeable future, pliers will have to do.. which means "dinks with chips on their shoulders" will wield far too much power for now.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
There's a few barbless hooks out there but selection is pretty limited. Good luck if you're trying to find barbless brand name lures..

For the forseeable future, pliers will have to do.. which means "dinks with chips on their shoulders" will wield far too much power for now.
from now on i will dremel the barb off this way there is no chance again
Old 01-18-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
which means "dinks with chips on their shoulders" will wield far too much power for now.
Fortunately there is a place where the victims of the ticket writing power hungry can come to seek sympathy and vindication from their peers...
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhonky View Post
The trick I use when taking a barb off is to sqeeze the barb with a pair of pliers and then with my free hand role the hook back and forth. 99% of the time this causes the barb to break off.
Same thing I do -- although not sure if it breaks off or flattens agains the hook.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Fortunately there is a place where the victims of the ticket writing power hungry can come to seek sympathy and vindication from their peers...
Yup, peers that have some common sense in their heads. You seem to think it is funny that someone got a $200 ticket for trying honestly to comply with the law.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Is this where some people start to use profanity and call each other &^%* morons?
Yup. and then they get booted. Careful where u tread buds. Alot u could learn here on this forum. Don't spoil it for urself
Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
You seem to think it is funny that someone got a $200 ticket for trying honestly to comply with the law.
I find no humour in anyone receiving a ticket. I however have no issue with someone receiving a ticket for failing to comply with a law... me included... We each have the same right to be heard in a court room where we might find a 138 IQ that supports our plea.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Len Thompson sells them their located in lacombe. Every year my company purchases custom spoons with our logo on them and they are always barbless I believe they will sell you just the hooks in bulk aswell. The cost of 100 spoons 2 color with our logo on them was like $3 each thats cheaper than retail at say canadian tire they shippe em free aswell.

http://www.lenthompson.com/
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Len Thompson sells them their located in lacombe. Every year my company purchases custom spoons with our logo on them and they are always barbless I believe they will sell you just the hooks in bulk aswell. The cost of 100 spoons 2 color with our logo on them was like $3 each thats cheaper than retail at say canadian tire they shippe em free aswell.

http://www.lenthompson.com/
I have a few Len Thompsons in my box but they don't get wet alot. I watch for barbless versions of the lures I frequent but haven't found a single one yet.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
we might find a 138 IQ that supports our plea.
Hmmm...apparently your still feeling the burn of 'having your azz handed to you' by Shelley.

Sorry to interrupt....carry on...yer doin' great!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I have a few Len Thompsons in my box but they don't get wet alot. I watch for barbless versions of the lures I frequent but haven't found a single one yet.
Well pm with your address and I'll throw a few in the mail for you if you want Unless your in the edmonton area. Or if your out fishing in the area let me know... if you don't mind the company.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
Hmmm...apparently your still feeling the burn of 'having your azz handed to you' by Shelley.

As a simple farmer I have access to great vet supplies, including some of the best ointments to help with the burn!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Barbless hooks

Ok you got me. Read all through this post and thought what the H3ll I would call my good friend, a CO ( F&W Officer of 25 years). As what I believed before still exists. First of all, it is NOT an offence to have a barbed hook attached to your line, in your tackle box or on your person. It is only unlawful to USE such hook in the act of fishing. Once you put said barbed hook into the water then you are considered "in the act of fishing". Also a F&W officer only has the right to ask to see your tackle box unless he can tell you upfront he "suspects you are hiding fish or illegal bait there". Of course for some "fisherpersons" that could mean acoholic beverages too.
Otherwise it is considered Private Property and subject to the need of a search warrant. As for the "Barbless" rule he told me that it is up to the Officer to use his judgement as to determine if the "Barb" is still intact. What he also said that as long as the barb is pinched as close as possible it is considered removed. His determination is if he "could see a gap" then the barb exists. I asked him about the stainless hooks and Gamakatsus that sometimes end up snapping the barb off and leaving a tiny bump. To this he told me that to be barbed the "angle of the bump must not be greater than 90degrees toward the bend of the hook. His opinion toward this type of hook would be "the angler attempted to comply with the rules and regulations" and would only suggest that maybe the hook be discarded (a warning a worst). I know, YES some Officers can have a bad day and take it out on compliant anglers. Unfortunate the we, that abide by the laws can get caught unwittingly and pay the price for his having to deal with those that do not follow good practises.
Good luck everyone, tight lines and be safe on the ice or water.

PS - personally I would fight the ticket, PRINCIPALS MATTER.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Beef View Post
call my good friend, a CO ( F&W Officer of 25 years)
I would be very interested to hear what comments your friend the F&W Officer would have after reading this thread... have you invited him to drop by?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I would be very interested to hear what comments your friend the F&W Officer would have after reading this thread... have you invited him to drop by?
Undoubtedly he'd provide some stock answers... saying that a) he had to be there to see the hook in question for himself and b) it would be a judgement call by the officer who, like most people, aren't perfect and may occasionally have bad days and/or miake mistakes.

What would you expect him to say? For obvious reasons a F&W officer would never publicly cut down another.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Oops, I never did comment on the original thread Got sidetracked by gibberish. Anyway, the only FW officer that ever checked me did the ol sweater test. Ran my hooks through his sleeve and pulled them out with ease. Had they not come out, I woulda failed. But they did
It seems there are alot of different methods used to determine what is proper. Like some have already stated, the problem lies in the discretion. Every officer needs to test all hooks the same way so EVERYONE is on the same boat. And this needs to be a much clearer topic in the regs. My 2 cents.
Cheers

P.S. - sry to hear about ur ticket Valve. Guy was bein an arse for sure. Hope that tiny little p.r.i.c.k. he found drew some blood at least
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Default barbless

I know that you can buy single barbless hooks made by gamakatsu, which you can buy at the fishin hole. As well if anyone worried about there hook being barbed if you happen to have a Rotary tool, with a small head, you can easily take the barb off. Did some today to try, took like 10 seconds for a hook.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 AM

I dont know the more and more I read this thread makes me wonder , thats theres definitely gotta be more to the story . Man I fish ALot Ask anyone who knows me . I get checked id say on average 10 to 40 times a year , maybe more . Ive never had a problem with pinched hooks , As I always use forceps to pinch the barb , but even in times Ive fished with someone that it might not quite be up to par , They even dont go straight for the fine . Unless you became balegerant , or rude or something else to the story , Fish and Wildlife officer Chances are they are going to say Look this is how you need to have your barbs . I dont think I believe this story . Maybe a little more to the story then whats been shared.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Banned

What a strange world we live in , barbs were made to keep the fish from getting off the hook , now this generation wants us to make it easier for the fish to GET OFF , and not get hurt in the process of release while you kiss them and say thank you fish , good grief.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 AM

I would follow up the ticket in court IF all happened as stated. Something tells me a judge would laugh the charge out of court if he saw the hook with a clearly bent barb. Of all the things to waste a judges time on me thinks he/she would not be too impressed with the officer.

I'm wondering if any increase in enforcement may be a result of some pressure from higher up to generate more cash. Kinda like the traffic ticket quota's that don't exist

While barbless isn't the end all be all I think the cumulative effect of some of these rules is gonna create a death by a thousand cuts to fishing. For anyone thinking about getting into the pasttime I'm not sure they'll see the value through all the BS. I wonder how many newbies and their kids have been fined for honest mistakes and just thrown in the towel.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
You know, I bet some counselling could get you over that low self-esteem problem you have.
You're correct, no self esteem problems here

Quote:
WOW, I'm just a poor farmer, having my ramblings read by a God Like you makes me think that I am not worthy of having an opinion...
Goddess

My point with that was that I'm an educated, intelligent, woman who is very good a disseminating a variety of different types of information . . . but not your posts.

The problem is that you're bringing data that many of us consider faulty in to support an argument that is already supported. You're interjecting data that has nothing to do with the subject of barbed hooks. And, in a lot of ways your preaching to the choir, but you don't seem to understand this.

Your point becomes lost in all of that.

Quote:
THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS BASED ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT ONE POOR FISHERMAN WAS PICKED ON BY A MEAN OLD FISH COP WITH A "CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER" WHO WAS TRYING TO BE A "DINK" ABOUT A LAW THAT HAS BEEN ON THE BOOKS FOR 7 YEARS!
No, it isn't. That was one of the hypotheses put forth. I think a better summation would be that there are inconsistencies in the way the law is enforced, and that there are also inconsistencies in what individual F&W officers look for in flattened barbs.

Valve God attempted to comply, and the officer determined his efforts weren't good enough. Did Valve God demonstrate due diligence, or was the officer just being an @$$?

This is what causes confusion and concern. F&W officers can be jerks. They can also be really great and helpful.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
now this generation wants us to make it easier for the fish to GET OFF
in order that the next generation has a fish to catch...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I dont know the more and more I read this thread makes me wonder , thats theres definitely gotta be more to the story... then whats been shared.
It sure would be nice to hear both sides wouldn't it?

I'm with you Big, press'em down, grind'em off and make sure it is correct...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
My point with that was that I'm an educated, intelligent, woman who is very good a disseminating a variety of different types of information . . .
Stop it, I'm getting turned on. Wait a minute... that's what "disseminating" means? Nevermind.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I'm wondering if any increase in enforcement may be a result of some pressure from higher up to generate more cash.
Does anyone actually believe that a bunch of dumb fish cops could ever write enough tickets to generate meaningful money for the government??? There are about 115+/- fish cops in Alberta... the provincial deficit is what? All the tickets written in a year by F&W likely wouldn't pay for the premier's cars!!!