Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little archer_99 View Post
what about powerbait trout attractant, the liquid stuff on a bare hook does that count as bait, if it is than the system is fuc*ed up
Yes, on page 21 of the regs, right hand side of the page under the heading in blue ink titled Fishing with Bait. First paragraph under that heading. You will find the answer to your question.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

About the only thing you can do legaly now is buy your lic , after that if you want to catch a fish you,ll be in for it one way or another , its no this and no that , and use this and dont use that , whatever happened to the days use whatever bait you like , and just plain fish , they dont want us to even keep any anymore , you have to kissum and say thank you fish , what a crock.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
I am going to say yes. Though I have never had scented/unscented plastics in the same vicinity. What I did have though was an open bag of scented 4'' grub bodies that were in a plastic tray in my tackle bag years ago. The tray smelled like scent for quite a long time after.
well i think a dictionary to define terms is in order now, what defines "scent"?
Have you ever sprayed WD40 on a len tompson before? Is that "Scent"?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
About the only thing you can do legaly now is buy your lic , after that if you want to catch a fish you,ll be in for it one way or another , its no this and no that , and use this and dont use that , whatever happened to the days use whatever bait you like , and just plain fish , they dont want us to even keep any anymore , you have to kissum and say thank you fish , what a crock.
Jimboy, your ignorance is continuing to increase the potential of this thread, I would appreciate at least 3 more posts from you concerning your views on this topic...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreeum View Post
haha yes!!! Yesssss!!!!

I knew a thread would come along to replace the most recent locked thread, i just did not anticipate it would be so soon...

rofl
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 PM

So many options to this story. As usual, lots of experts with tunnel vision the size of a Bic pen.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Jimboy, your ignorance is continuing to increase the potential of this thread, I would appreciate at least 3 more posts from you concerning your views on this topic...
He wants the fish to jump into his hands instead of having to work for them I think..lol
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM

this post wasn't about by bait misuses but about the spot, its a good spot lots of good trout, hard to get to so no one else would be there and yes i made a mistake im human but its not like we took the fish home it was all catch and release
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Those days were good, then the fishing started to suck balls. So now we have these rules in an attempt to sustain a half decent fishery despite having way more anglers per fishable water than anywhere else in Canada. Most of those other provinces that have less fishing pressure and more fish also have pretty ristrictive regulataions and actualy implemented them long befor Alberta did, which is probably why their fishing doesnt suck balls.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
this post wasn't about by bait misuses but about the spot, its a good spot lots of good trout, hard to get to so no one else would be there and yes i made a mistake im human but its not like we took the fish home it was all catch and release
your secret is good with us
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
If true and your not pulling everyone along for the ride, i know a number of 14 year olds that know the fishing regs inside and out.
Give me a break, a NUMBER of 14 year olds? In your vehicle, neighbourhood, quadrant, city, province................................ Think about before you spread your disease.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, on page 21 of the regs, right hand side of the page under the heading in blue ink titled Fishing with Bait. First paragraph under that heading. You will find the answer to your question.
i have the 2010 regs, haven't made the time to go fishing yet this year so didn't need the new one
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
i have the 2010 regs, haven't made the time to go fishing yet this year so didn't need the new one
It's been the same for years. Perhaps not the page but the definition anyways.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You seem to be asking for this.

Fishing with Bait

Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Important Definitions).
Hooking Mortality from Bait

Restrictions on the use of bait are required to increase the survival of released trout. About 25% of trout caught on natural and scented baits die after release, compared with less than 4% caught on flies and lures. Differences in mortality rates of released pike and walleye caught on unbaited lures and baited hooks in most studies are quite similar, generally in the 3% to 10% range. Current information does not support a regulation on the use of bait at most waters containing pike or walleye. However, anglers are encouraged to voluntarily fish with unbaited lures because more fish may be hooked in the lip or mouth. Hooking mortality is generally higher for fish hooked in the gill area and stomach region.

Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

* suckers (family Catostomidae)
* sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
* trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
* Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
* minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...eral-regs.html

You are clearly computer literate. Take some time and read the regs again.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
well i think a dictionary to define terms is in order now, what defines "scent"?
Have you ever sprayed WD40 on a len tompson before? Is that "Scent"?
In relation to my response, any commercially manufactured product with a chemically enhanced formula known only to the manufacturer impregnated into the product at the place of which such product was created, and no I have never used WD-40 or anything of that nature in my fishing.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM

but what does "scent" mean, i still have not seen a good definition for scent...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM

do you have any thing better to do than troll and point out my mistake 50 some times, i know what i did wrong and it wont happen any more on my part, but i cant speak for my dad. One thing i dont understand is why are there bait bans, whats the point?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
In relation to my response, any commercially manufactured product with a chemically enhanced formula known only to the manufacturer impregnated into the product at the place of which such product was created, and no I have never used WD-40 or anything of that nature in my fishing.
your missing out....it beats the hell out of marshmallows and corn kernels
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
do you have any thing better to do than troll and point out my mistake 50 some times, i know what i did wrong and it wont happen any more on my part, but i cant speak for my dad. One thing i dont understand is why are there bait bans, whats the point?
i believe it has to do with mortality rates when you hook fish.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
To prevent over harvest. Deep hook setting mortality where all fish are not or can not be retained. It is a standard regulation everywhere...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
When trout take a hook with bait, live or otherwise, they ten to take it deeper into the throat/stomach region. Therefor, the trout is significantly more likely to die as a result of damage to these regions during the extraction of the hook. This is clearly explained in the regulations.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
what about powerbait trout attractant, the liquid stuff on a bare hook does that count as bait, if it is than the system is fuc*ed up
wow only 14? are you sure....your language is soooo how do you say articulate!

LC
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM

what about a scent that smells great and tastes horrible....then everyone is happy...

Quote:
your missing out....it beats the hell out of marshmallows and corn kernels
Agreed. Don't forget the KFC as well lol.

can a bait ban change from year to year?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
what about a scent that smells great and tastes horrible....then everyone is happy...
Buckley's Cough Syrup? jk
Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
anything can change. but don't hold your breath on any bait changes for the bow. lol
Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
you cant swear or even imply a profanity on AO
there is kids on this site
Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
On a significant trophy trout stream like the Bow, it is unlikely it will in the foreseeable future. If it were to, it would be very clearly marked in the regulations.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
you cant swear or even imply a profanity on AO
there is kids on this site

and old people........ where is horse?