Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 AM

I agree with those telling you to go to an accountant and bypass H&R all together. You're in GP aren't you? Go see Craig Powell, he's a good man, good at his job and his rates are affordable. H&R Block doesn't hire accountants, you could go take their 2 month course and do taxes too. They only know the basics of tax filing, what many people could do themselves.

Last edited by Sporty; 03-19-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Why would anyone bother to try and help?

An accountant cannot manufacture deductions from your taxes for you. You are the best one at manufacturing deductions (didn't you already want to claim a higher percentage of square footage than the accountant felt comfortable with?). Keep your fingers crossed on the audit.
It was a person from hr block not an accountant that refused to use the proper percentage. So how about but out if you don't know what your talking about as well. How many people have come across the same problem as me. their agent will forget about a deductible that an accountant wont.

Last edited by fishnut9; 03-19-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I agree with those telling you to go to an accountant and bypass H&R all together. You're in GP aren't you? Go see Craig Powell, he's a good man, good at his job and his rates are affordable. H&R Block doesn't hire accountants, you could go take their 2 month course and do taxes too. They only know the basics of tax filing, what many people could do themselves.
Thank you.this is the type of help I need. Not all accountants will take my case. Some keep saying my business is too small.others charge 2k for something another accountant will do for 5 hundred. Others are telling me to go to hr block instead. This is why I'm panicking. I'm getting different messages from the accounting firms.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Craig Powell does all kinds of accounting, he's open to everyone during tax time along with his regular clientelle. As I said, he knows his stuff and he's affordable. I'm assuming some of the accountants that turned you down don't do taxes for the masses, only their clientele base.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 AM

I feel your pain buddy, my wifes come to 20000$ this year. That one hurts big time..
Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I feel your pain buddy, my wifes come to 20000$ this year. That one hurts big time..
well at least you guys are successful. Thats double my wifes. Also to the other post yeah in order for me to even get in with some of the accountants i need to be a regular client. Im just thinking to myself that i only need them 1 day a year and they want 2k annually while others only want 500 for a 1 time thing.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
That is about right for small businesses.
WWBirds is the MAN when it comes to accounting, but you blew him off. Very stupid move.
Instead of reading a brochure that you hope is right why not rely on the men and women around you give you proper advice.

End of the day, you need an accountant.
Anyone that pay's $2000 to an accountant for a small business is crazy.

Have had a couple of small businesses for 20 years now and have never payed

my accountant over $500 here or in Ont. Just had mine done last month bill

was $340
Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut9 View Post
well at least you guys are successful. Thats double my wifes. Also to the other post yeah in order for me to even get in with some of the accountants i need to be a regular client. Im just thinking to myself that i only need them 1 day a year and they want 2k annually while others only want 500 for a 1 time thing.
You certainly clarified much more in this post than you did in the entire thread. I thought it would be odd for an accountant to charge 2k for one time tax filing. Go see Craig Powell and your issues should be solved.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Banned

Well i apologize for not being more clear. here is how my conversation went with one accounting firm
"hi i need an accountant to look over my taxes for this year for my wifes business."
"Are you a current client."
"no"
"Well you will need to come down and sign up to be our client."
"Ok how much will it cost though"
"2k for most our small businesses."
"What?! you charge 2k just to file taxes."
"Well we also do all your bookkeeping as well."
"ive already do my own bookkeeping dont you guys just file taxes and look over books."
"No sir that is not what an accountant does. For one time tax filing you should just go to hr block."
"but i was told i could go to an accountant because they are more knowledgeable in this area than the people at hr."
"well unfortunately we cant help you with what you are asking sir."
Thats why im so confused. Im being told by a firm that i must be a client and they dont do 1 time things. While people on here tell me otherwise. Thanks for clearing it up though.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Just tell them your not paying, then tell them how much you can bench press, I'm sure they will leave you alone.

Heat, power, water, phone,insurance....add up the totals and them multiply by the % of your home that's a day home. (sq ft used / total sq ft) x (hrs operated per week / 168)

Feed the kids? Keep seperate receipts for this food, 100% deduction

How did you get the food...if you used a personal vehicle to go out and purchase anything directly related to the operation of the day home you can claim a milage allowance. You'll need to keep a record of the number of k's you drove. you can deduct $.52 for each K you drive. up to 5000 k. If you drove to some where like edmonton to purchase something for the day home the milage would be claimable at 52 cents per k. Mileage adds up in a year.

Any cleaning supplies purchased this year? Government demands a clean day home, write it all off.

Take a first aid course? Should be deductable.

Your using a computer, is it new did the business buy it, write off! Just get some accounting software and use it to generate invoices to your clients etc.

Buy turbo tax (formerly quick tax) and file your own taxes next year. You'll save money.

Lots of guys offered you some good advice, get rid of the chip on your shoulder and take it.

Another good source of information is the CRA, call and ask questions they are the experts. keep records of who you talked to, it can help if you ever go through a tax audit.

Two guarantees in life Death and Taxes. The goal is to pay as little tax as possible in your life time. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 AM

you have to understand what it is that an accountant does. Other than wanting to maximize their profits for services rendered, they 'account' for your business. Asking them to file without 'accounting' is asking for a horse to win without running.

On the other hand, asking a tax filer/preparer to file without accounting, is what it is.

You can expierence what an accountant provides, at reasonable fees however. By having;
- a business plan. Know where you are going. If you make money hand over fist, you need to manipulate it to reduce your taxes. If your heading for bankrupcy, it might be a good time to retrain. Accountants, including auditing agents, can reconcile your numbers much quicker if they have an idea of what your intent is.
- organize your reciepts. Bank statements, invoices, documentation, must be of the type required for taxation. A simple visa bill won't suffice for the tax man for any specific expense. It must be itemized. Don't drop a box of bills on the accountants lap and not expect to pay for the time it takes to file.
- prepare your financial statements. This is really where you save the dough. There are a number of good accounting software packages out there, but I prefer MYOB because entries can be reversed out. The trick here is that your financial statements must be backed up with the two previous items, good document organization, and a plan.

Quote:
"Ok how much will it cost though"
"2k for most our small businesses."
"What?! you charge 2k just to file taxes."
"Well we also do all your bookkeeping as well."
"ive already do my own bookkeeping dont you guys just file taxes and look over books."
Now, when you talk to an accountant, you either asking them for advice on a specific topic, or you are asking them to reconcile your accounting, and to carry that forward with a tax filing. With this approach, you can realize the greater value they can offer, without paying for the labour.

It'll help you decide on the value of your expenses in the long run as well. You decided to expense a marriage, rejoice in that, or next time reconsider it's financial implications down the road.

One word of caution however. You mentioned square footage and others have mentioned a number of deductions. At some point, the tax man may inform you that a portion of the building is a corporate asset and may be taxed on it's disposition.

Last edited by winged1; 03-19-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Gone Hunting

If you think hiring a professional to do your taxes is expensive, try hiring an amateur and see what it costs.

I can't wait for the tomorrow's episode of as the stomach turns.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Child care expense right off...lunch room program expenses

I understand that lunch room expenses...ie. supervision if you kids eat at school is a taxable write off.

Is this true?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM

The reason that the accountants want you on as a client is liability. Remember, these guys are highly scrutinized professionals.

They don't simply take your financial statements from Quickbooks and input them into a tax form. They have a professional obligation to know what they are inputting into that form. If there is a misstatement, they may have to deal with the consequences.

You know how many people once they get audited probably say, "oh, my accountant advised me to do that, not my fault?" Then the accountant needs to defend himself with the CRA, potentially risking his livelihood.

H&R Block people are not professionals and they don't have the same test of reasonability that a designated accountant has. They can just take your Quickbook statements and plug them in for deductions.

There is no way a professional designated accountant will advise you on an aggresive tax strategy based on some financial statements that you hand him and he has no insight into what you've done behind them. If you want someone to get creative (within the law) it's going to cost a pretty penny. For most people, it's simply not worth it.

Seriously, consider their liability before being so critical. You're asking someone to put their name and their business and their livelihood on the line for you. How much would you charge for that same service to someone else?

I know damn well most people when audited will point their finger at their accountant and say, "oh, they told me to do that." So the accountant needs to know damn sure what exactly is going on in the tax return.

And as a word of advice, the time to get an accountant involved is at the beginning of your business. There are things that can be done on day 1 that minimize tax liability that can't be done after the fact.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I understand that lunch room expenses...ie. supervision if you kids eat at school is a taxable write off.

Is this true?
As with all things tax, it depends. You need to talk to an expert to find our if your circumstance applies or not. Or take your chances on an audit if you don't want to fork the bucks over.

If the child would otherwise have to come home at lunch and you'd need to quit your job as a result, then probably you can deduct the cost.

I can't imagine this adds up to a huge windfall savings for anyone though. The individual with the lowest net income must take child care deductions. It's also likely that if either was unemployed or not full-time employed during that period there may be significant complications.

Here is the line and description from CRA:

Code:
Line 214 - What are child care expenses? Child care expenses are amounts you or another person paid to have someone look after an eligible child so that you or the other person could:

•earn income from employment;
•carry on a business either alone or as an active partner;
•attend school under the conditions described in Educational program; or
•carry on research or similar work, for which you or the other person received a grant.
The child must have lived with you or the other person when the expense was incurred for the expense to qualify. Usually, you can only deduct payments for services provided in Canada by a Canadian resident..
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 PM

X2 on what Geo said.

It never ceases to amaze me the questions that get asked on an outdoor forum (some are quite amusing though). Not that the advice is wrong, its just that unless you know the basics, how can you separate the good advice from the bad. And there is some bad advice here without understanding the basics behind it.

You acknowledged that you did not know how deductions work which is the basis of how you calculate taxes owed. My advice is to take a course if you are going to do your own bookkeeping and taxes, or hire an accountant to take care of it for you. This could be bad advice from an outdoorsmen forum too but you will have to decide.

Everyone needs advice once in a while, no shame in that. For example, I believe that "The person that represents himself in court has a fool for a client". Likewise accounting and tax preparation is not difficult for a basic small business but learning on the fly from an outdoormen forum seems like the wrong way to learn to me.

FWIW, we do our own bookkeeping for our incorporated company but use an accountant to review periodcally and prepare our year end documentation. About $1000/year but both of us have basic bookkeeping education and understanding.

Good luck with your decisions.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Sure doesnt take long to read some previous posts to realize that a person who seems to act like they know everything doesnt really take advice very well from the people that do.....

Makes me chuckle a bit to see that same person asking for help....
x2 ............................ JERRY SPRINGER !!!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Agree with Slipbobber and others.

We may have thick heads, but not as thick as yours.

I would not go h and r block. but good accountants can cost several thousand depending how long they have to hold your hand to educate you, and then do the forms.

In your business, also make darned sure your pl and pd insurance is several million in coverage.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Anyone who seeks free legal or tax advice from strangers on the internet gets what they pay for. I prefer to pay experts to do what I don't know. Some people will never acknowledge that somebody's expertise is worthwhile and choose the "cheapest" solution.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Wow....guy asks for advice......board members give advice......guy insults board members giving advice. Getting a little old on here....And that concludes another episode of Dear Abby......