Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twispi View Post
who said i didnt know how to bore sight myself? maybe some reading lessons are in order metalmike. If i am buying something might as well think it should be set up right. last rifle i bought there, guy behind counter made sure the scope was leveled and in good place for my eye then re bore sighted it.
I can read just fine and stand by what I said.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Cool

Not judging " package rifles" over all but the ex's vanguard .243 shot 1"@100yrds out of the box.
My bad it's a weatherby.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Not judging " package rifles" over all but the ex's vanguard .243 shot 1"@100yrds out of the box.
My bad it's a weatherby.
Howa makes a good rifle for the money.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Howa makes a good rifle for the money.
Not sure 600 $ would buy a howa stock .the bee comes with a case for that.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

A clerk at a frequently bashed firearms store was telling a customer that when selling used non-restricteds that the government requires you to record and keep all of the buyers ID particulars as well as the firearm information. I couldn't let that particular BS go uncorrected.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Not sure 600 $ would buy a howa stock .the bee comes with a case for that.
Actually you can purchase the same Hogue stock sold on many Howa rifles. for under $200. $600 will buy you some Howa rifles, that use the same basic barreled action as the Vanguard. Other than the name stamped on the side, they are pretty much the same rifle. Some people have the impression that the Weatherby name somehow makes the Vanguard a better rifle, even though that idea has no basis in truth.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually you can purchase the same Hogue stock sold on many Howa rifles. for under $200. $600 will buy you some Howa rifles, that use the same basic barreled action as the Vanguard. Other than the name stamped on the side, they are pretty much the same rifle. Some people have the impression that the Weatherby name somehow makes the Vanguard a better rifle, even though that idea has no basis in truth.
Last time I looked you could get a Howa 1500 barreled action for about 500 bucks...in Canada.
Can't remember who was selling them.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM

My dad and I were at milarm a couple years ago and somebody was looking to buy a knife. The guy looked like something the cat barfed up and wanted a knife that he could shave with, cut and split firewood with among other uses.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 AM

I have a couple funny ones, unfortunately they would probably be thought of as racial profiling. Lets just say I overhead a couple younger men of racial decent at the handgun counter ask about holding pistols sideways. Oh boy did I laugh....on the inside.
Another time I was looking at a Weatherby and acccidently asked for the Weyerhouser to look at.....the guy just said "we don't keep lumber in this store". I have no idea what I was thinking lol
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM

"I saw a gun in a magazine here once, it had, like, seven barrels. It was really expensive, probably, like, three grand. It wouldn't be legal in Canada though, cause we're only allowed 2 barrels."

Amish looking dork behind the counter at Red Deer South CT
Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Saw an epic back and forth today at WSS....customer wanted to buy a rifle for a buddy, one sales guy was cool the other (manager) refused to sell it to him because he said it was illegal.

He couldn't wrap around his head that the guy was buying it legally with a PAL for his buddy who also had a PAL but wasn't there to get the rifle in person.

This was a gun counter manager that was arguing against the customer and that manager was dead wrong.

So they called another manager in who agreed with the one sales guy and the customer LOL.

The customer was standing his ground which was awesome (because he was correct 100%), he told the manager who butted into the sale to go away...he wasn't talking to him . Was a great back and forth....not sure if he ended up getting the rifle.

The manager was trying to say that he couldn't sell him the rifle knowing it wasn't going to be staying with him....LOL.

How many guys buy and sell rifles here and a day a week or a year after buying new.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-12-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:23 PM

LC This was one of WSS rules for the longest time it started after your dad left so you might not have known
Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windago View Post
LC This was one of WSS rules for the longest time it started after your dad left so you might not have known
I did not know! Do you know the rationale? Must have been an incident? Is it more a store policy than official rule though?
LC
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM

It was the wisdom from Calgary HO at the time, just one of the reasons I don't work them anymore
Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 PM

It was the wisdom from Calgary HO at the time, just one of the reasons I don't work there anymore
Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Doesn't really count but...

at a pawn shop on McLeod trail (there to retrieve stolen goods from my truck) some kid was getting a loan with some sks as collateral. I ask the guy if I could take a look at one when the manager chimed in and said I needed to produce my PAL to handle the weapon (with a bit of an attitude), fair enough. I left my PAL at home so I proceeded to wait in line to talk to the manager. not one minute later the manager picks up the rifles one by one and points them at three of us in the store without checking if they were even loaded.

I didn't really expect much from a pawn shop but that was pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Banned

Yes, this stock AR15 is guaranteed to be 0.5 MOA.......

Red Deer gunstore.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 PM

In the ammo aisle at wss in calgary. One guy says to another .308 is waaaay bigger than 30-06. That's why the military switched over.

Not long ago I was toying with the idea of a 336 to compliment my 1895. Sales guy from a place with bit of an Edge to it says no way I'll kill anything with a 30-30.

Okay.

Colin.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Edmonton WSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
In the ammo aisle at wss in calgary. One guy says to another .308 is waaaay bigger than 30-06. That's why the military switched over.

Not long ago I was toying with the idea of a 336 to compliment my 1895. Sales guy from a place with bit of an Edge to it says no way I'll kill anything with a 30-30.

Okay.

Colin.
That reminds me. I was looking at a Benelli R1 in 30-06, the guy behind the counter said "I used a 30-06 for deer hunting, but the last time I was out, I came across two grizzly bears... I was so scared! You can't tangle with a grizzly bear when you only have a 30-06! That's why I bought a 338 Win mag!"
I said "for deer"..?
"yup"
(Nothing wrong with that)
I replied, "I've carried my .308 in bear country and felt fine"
The dude did one of these
And then says "yeah I'd tangle with a Grizz if I had my 308, but definitely not with my 30-06! I'm not that stupid!" All I could do was hand him the rifle, say thanks, and proceed to walk away laughing my ass off.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Overheard one time at the gun counter, guy behind counter tells customer" The 300 win mag is a much faster and flatter than the 300 wby mag using the same load" hmmm you take two identical bullets both in 30 cal exact same speed you tell me whose going to get there first?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:13 PM

I said "for deer"..?
"yup"
(Nothing wrong with that)
I replied, "I've carried my .308 in bear country and felt fine"
The dude did one of these
And then says "yeah I'd tangle with a Grizz if I had my 308, but definitely not with my 30-06! I'm not that stupid!" All I could do was hand him the rifle, say thanks, and proceed to walk away laughing my ass off.[/QUOTE]

That's some funny chit right there.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Banned

I was in sundre the other day and was looking at the remington bucket o bullets he had and senn it was 139 bucks when I knew more like 79 but he insisted that's the going rate all over. How does a guy get away with that
Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 PM

About 3 weeks ago I was in Cabellas in Regina, and picked up a box of bulk UMC 9mm rounds. I went to the cashier, but the ammo on the counter, and got out my billfold to dig out my PAL.

I couldn't find it instantly, and I said some to the effect of "Sorry, I know its in here. Must be stuck to another card".

She: "Don't worry about it! I don't need to see that; I know you, I've seen you in here before!"

By that time, I'd found it and taken it out of my wallet. I held it out and she waved it away, never looked at it. I am in there quite regularly (it's pretty skinny for gun stores in Regina), true enough. I have not EVER made an ammo purchase with that clerk though, and most definitely don't know her. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I did take the ammunition out to my truck and lock it in the back, then went back in and spoke to the store manager. I didn't want to get her into trouble, so I was non-specific which clerk it was, and told him what had happened. His response? Maybe she DOES recognize you...??!!???

I suggested that didn't matter one way or another; they had a legal obligation to check. Only then did he grudgingly agree, and say that he'd make sure they asked for it from then on. I don't know if they do; I haven't bought any ammo there since.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post
About 3 weeks ago I was in Cabellas in Regina, and picked up a box of bulk UMC 9mm rounds. I went to the cashier, but the ammo on the counter, and got out my billfold to dig out my PAL.

I couldn't find it instantly, and I said some to the effect of "Sorry, I know its in here. Must be stuck to another card".

She: "Don't worry about it! I don't need to see that; I know you, I've seen you in here before!"

By that time, I'd found it and taken it out of my wallet. I held it out and she waved it away, never looked at it. I am in there quite regularly (it's pretty skinny for gun stores in Regina), true enough. I have not EVER made an ammo purchase with that clerk though, and most definitely don't know her. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I did take the ammunition out to my truck and lock it in the back, then went back in and spoke to the store manager. I didn't want to get her into trouble, so I was non-specific which clerk it was, and told him what had happened. His response? Maybe she DOES recognize you...??!!???

I suggested that didn't matter one way or another; they had a legal obligation to check. Only then did he grudgingly agree, and say that he'd make sure they asked for it from then on. I don't know if they do; I haven't bought any ammo there since.
WOW!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 AM

Ummmm you sure set little miss free spirit straight..... Wow
Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 AM

That can't be a serious post...has to be a troll....has to be a troll.....has to be a troll.....
Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post

What a hero!!

She probably recognized your cape.....probably not a lot of people running around with capes on in Regina.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 AM

I guess you need something to do in regina.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM

And this thread is officially derailed. ..... Lol
Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 PM

At un-named gun counter...

I just want to shoot something, can you recommend a gun?

ans- What do you have in mind to shoot?

oh, I dunno. But I'm gonna get my draws in and find out.

ans- What draws are you applying for?

Oh, I dunno; I gotta get that WINTER card first or something like that.

At this point, I wanted to know what vehicles he drove so that I could be sure to be nowhere near him out in the "wild".