Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 PM
sheep hunter

Default Flame Away Boys

Hey Boys...Tuc,walleyes, Oko.

Rather than highjacking every other thread, here's one just for you to flame me. Have at 'er boys and then this board can get back to other more important outdoor topics in the other threads.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
sheep hunter

Ya, the appeal period for the goverment ended on Feb23 and they have decided not to appeal so the issue is now done as far as the courts are concerned.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
walleyes

K,,, I'll be the first to go,,

Sheep you are a great guy and a very intelligent guy when it comes to the outdoors and hunting issues,, but at the same time you are very critical of other peoples views and most of the times you are the first one on the board to start calling people down and calling names..
I know that I am no better a lot of the times but if you were to read back on most of the posts you wright and really read them you might be surprised.. You create a lot of controversy on this board,, we all know what you do for a living and like I said before I have a lot of respect for any man that can leave main stream work and make a living at something we all love, the great outdoors,, but sheep you have a poor attitude towards the people that put bread on you're table. I am sorry to say but my two sons looked up to you for years as a great outdoorsman,, they read you're articles in Alberta Outdoorsman and they looked up to you,, but lately we got into something new,, the web site it's something new in our house ) and I have to tell you T.J. they are very disappointed in you're attitude towards people,, it's like its you're way or leave.. I know I give you grief a lot,, but it is out of disappointment not beliefs.. I think we could and should get along for the betterment of the sport,, because I take pride in my OUTDOORSMANSHIP and I think you could learn how to also if you give it a chance...
Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Mackaylake

I have been told there was media at the AFGA AGM. But, yet there is nothing to be found on the status of the IMHA. What gives?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
sheep hunter

Not sure man...there was a tv crew there and a couple newspapers. Maybe just looking in the wrong places. It will take a while to come out in the monthly publications like AO as they are published several weeks a head of time. I'm sure there will be something in the next AO. You could PM Rob and ask him. You could always fire a letter off to Minister Morton for clarification if you care to. He was pretty specific in his speech.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 PM
sheep hunter

I think your answer lies with Minister Morton mackay so I respectfully disagree with you. Give his office a call and you will find the answers you seek.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
sheep hunter

Sorry if I don't reply to all the PMs tonight but I've reached my limit for the day. I'll reply tomorrow when EZ board allows me to or if I haven't answered, feel free to e-mail me directly at sheephunter@(nospam)shaw.ca.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Rob Miskosky

Struthers and Waugh both have very good columns on the IMHA in the March issue which is on the stands now.

Waugh interviews some prominent players and Struthers sat through the entire Kip Kelley appeal.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 PM
baretrax

Sheep -although I never got involved in the threads that had you heated up, I have to say that I agree with the sentiments put forth by walleyes. I come to this conclusion just by reading the threads. Take it for what it is worth. I dont know you except through your columns, and you dont know me at all, but to an average guy, you came off as pretty arrogant. IMHO, although you never directly called any member names, the innuendos were there. Its not a bad thing to have strong convictions about what you believe in, its all in the delivery that gets put forth to the rest of the guys in here. Just my 2 cents.....................
Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
sheep hunter

Walleyes, I'll plead guilty to being very passionate about the outdoors, hunting, shooting and fishing but if you notice one thing, I never jump into debates I don't have extensive knowledge of. That's why I stay out of many many debates. The other thing you'll notice is that even if things do get heated, I don't hijack a thread with a bunch of personal slags. I stay on topic. I might get passionate about disagreeing with someone's thoughts but I'm always willing to shake hands later. It seems there are a few people on this board that just have to jump into debates and speak up regardless of the fact they don't have clue what they are talking about and don't know a great deal of the facts. That's what frustrates me. I'm always willing to listen to informed opinion but when an uniformed one tries to hijack a thread, sorry, if I know something about the topic and it could have a negative impact on our shooting and hunting sports then ya, I can't help myself from speaking up.

Too many people on here don't read posts...they read what they want it to say and end up putting words in people's mouths and attributing actions to them that they never took. The Pyra thread was a classic example. I never once stood up for or tried to justify the actions of those involved yet I was repeatedly accused of it. It's hard to bring facts into many of these debates because many just aren't interested in them. They want to make assumptions and accusations instead.

Ask my opinion nicely and you'll get a nice answer. Get in my face and I'll get in yours.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Mackaylake

This is why I asked the question in my above post. I was told I was making the topic assinine last week. Just because I was not agreeing with sheep. But, still there is no clear answer to my question. ( I will read the columns mentioned)
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Okotokian

Quote:
Rather than highjacking every other thread, here's one just for you to flame me. Have at 'er boys and then this board can get back to other more important outdoor topics in the other threads.
Thought we had gotten past this. Sorry if I don't take you up on your invite...
Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
sheep hunter

Okay by me Oko!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
osterb

I like guns of all sorts. You don't need to like the kinds of guns I like. I think antique's are useless things unless you're collecting.

If you believe any kind of gun should be removed from civillian ownership I think you're an ignorant, idiotic individual that deserves to have your possessions taken away.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Okotokian

Quote:
If you believe any kind of gun should be removed from civillian ownership I think you're an ignorant, idiotic individual that deserves to have your possessions taken away.
Well, I'm not in favour of civilian ownership of, say, a C6 so I guess that makes me one of those...

Unless you mean ownership of any PRESENTLY legal firearm, then I'm with you (except for the name-calling part).
Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
shotgun

"Presently legal" is a dangerous term. So next week the firearms you do own are no longer "presently legal" then what? Where is the line?

Sorry won't hijacking sheep bashing thread anymore.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 PM
sheep hunter

Quote:
Sorry won't hijacking sheep bashing thread anymore.
Thanks! I think...lol :eek :eek :eek
Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
BigBullAdventures

Wow TJ, I hope you got your Nomex camo suit on!

BigBull
Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
sheep hunter

LMAO big bull. Hey, how's that pup of yours doing? We were just talking about him a couple nights ago!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
BigBullAdventures

Fitz is great! Turning out to be an awsome dog. Hasn't chewed up to many things yet, and is doing very well with training. Lots of laughs.
I'll try to keep myself out of reach from the flames around here.

BigBull
Old 03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Re: Flame Awa

Big bull u havn't done anything to feed the fire, so no worry's. I side with walleye's. I've lost alot of respect for sheep since i started reading this forum. I never new people could get that full of themselves. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
M70

TJ, I'm not sure that I would have taken the approach that you have and created an opportunity for people to take their shots. You're a braver man than me. I can see though that it is a result of frustration.

Personal attacks against you however are going beyond what you have given out. I find the pack behaviour of some to be distasteful, to say the least. If the passion that you've directed at some indidvuals is taken too much to heart by some, I say too bad. Most of us don't know each other in person and if you were to make a negative comment against me I would take it with a grain of salt. For the most part we are levelling comments against a message board name and persona. You've chosen to maintain the same board name despite the fact that just about everyone knows the person behind your Sheephunter name. I respect that.

Obviously you have deep convictions and know of what side of the fence in which you stand but at no time have I seen you use racist, sexist or bigoted comments even in very controversial issues. I wouldn't hesitate to walk across the room to buy you a beer.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
sheep hunter

Thanks M70. The starting of this thread was not done out of bravery but in an attempt to clean up the board a bit. It seemed that there were a number of people that were intent on taking unprovoked shots at me so rather than have them hijack every thread on the board as was happening, I just decided to give them a place to do it that wouldn't distract from the quality information being shared on the remainder of the board. This is a great site and I felt somehow responsible for the downhill slide it was on, so I decided to paint a big red bulleye on myself and deflect the fire from other important threads.

I bear no ill-will to anyone on this board and have never undertaken unprovoked attacks on anyone. Sometimes I do get too passionate about what I believe in and sometimes when people get in my face, I get in theirs but at the end of the day, all I care about in protecting our valuable resources and opportunities. If taking unprovoked attacks on me makes some people feel better about themselves, then I say go for it. As for you M70, I'd be pleased to share a beer with you any time.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
osterb

Quote:
Well, I'm not in favour of civilian ownership of, say, a C6 so I guess that makes me one of those...
You know what I meant. Roll back the laws pre 90 and I'd be happy. I'd be really happy if we did the U.S style registered transferable mg thing.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
FisherPotch

Wow. Very impressive sheep. I've never realy goten into any long term debates with u, but I'll willingly admit I wanted to. The fact that u keep your name as sheep hunter is very respectable and it shows that ur not afraid of a good debate. I think it's cool that i can post on a site and hold a conversation with a guy that tought me advanced jigging tactics and drop shotting without ever meeting me.

I'll also willing admit that i'm not as fond of you as I was when I wasn't on this forum. The pyra thread choked me up, mainly cause u wouldn't provide an opinion on that particular case. No matter the scenario I will always offer my opinion, and I can't idolize someone who wont. But i do understand 100% why u wanted to keep neautral.

The bullseye thing is kinda funny. I like the drama so I wouldn't call it a downhill slide, more like livening things up. I'd take it as a compliment that all these guys want to get into it with you. I know I envy what u do and i'm sure they do too.

Cheers,

Potch
Old 03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
sheep hunter

Quote:
I've lost alot of respect for sheep since i started reading this forum.
Oh really....how long you been reading Cranky...never seen your name before or could you be one of those guys that posts under multiple names just to stir the pot? Anyhow, thanks for posting here and not hijacking another thread.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Okotokian

Quote:
You know what I meant. Roll back the laws pre 90 and I'd be happy. I'd be really happy if we did the U.S style registered transferable mg thing.
I think we are on the same page osterb. That's why I added the part asking if you meant current gun laws.

As for early 90's regulation, I can't comment. I wasn't a gun owner in the early 90's and pretty unaware of the laws then. Not sure what was allowed then that isn't now.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
sheep hunter

Het potch, I had plenty of opinions on the Pyra thing but just felt a public forumn wasn't the place to discuss them. I've never jumped on any of the "let's lynch someone in public" threads so it wasn't just because I knew the Pyras that I refrianed. I just don't believe in doing that. For those who did, that's their right but I found it quite comical how I was labeled a Pyra supporter when I never said any such thing and wasn't. If sticking to my convictions of not discussing people's personal lives on a public forumn caused you to lose respect for me...oh well...it's who I am and that's a belief I'm not willing to give up.

Feel free to jump into a debate with me any day. I always enjoy hearing a fellow sportman's thoughts!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
FisherPotch

Lol. Funny how u started a thread for lynching you! I hope it doesn't turn into just that.

I don't think I lost respect. Because I do think you deserve respect. I'd say less fond. Mainly because you were pushing for the topic to be dropped. You didn't state it quite like that, I don't mean to put words in your mouth. But that is how the tone you developed came across as i read the posts. I for one cannot turn my blind eye to the fact that my opinion differed from the judges on a few points. But I'm not in the public eye though. So i guess that makes me a little more willing to hop on the lynchings. On this site I'm anonamous and that makes our scenarios much different.

Cheers,

Potch
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 PM
sheep hunter

Default Not at All

"On this site I'm anonamous and that makes our scenarios much different."

Not at all my friend...just difference of opinion and nothing wrong with that. If I was anonymous on this site I'd still have the same beliefs. Just who I am.