Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Default Polaris 550f vs Ski Doo 550f

Any one of these better than the other, not heavily biased on either one just looking for any info as to what your opinion are on these motors. I think they are both around 55hp.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:14 PM

Had a Polaris 550 it was a great reliable sled. I don’t think you could go wrong with either sled , I just choose not to support Bombardier or it’s subsidiaries.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:49 PM

If you are looking at new, skidoo stopped making the 550 fan for 2021. They are a bullet proof motor for what their intended use is. Do not expect great mileage out of them or to be a powerhouse but to putt around and not overheat and be fairly easy to work on. As far as snowmobiles go despite what many think about their business practices, they are probably the best machine out there technologically. Yes I ride a skidoo currently but just got told work is going Polaris next year. I’ve owned cats and Polaris in the past personally although none were the fan cooled options. If I was spending my $$ on a new sled it would be a skidoo without a doubt.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:05 PM

skidoo 550 is horrible on gas but bullet proof
Old 03-05-2020, 04:50 AM

I have the Polaris model in that, very happy with it. Mileage seems ok but I don't have a ski do to compare to. Power seems just fine and with the 144" paddle track it goes nearly anywhere.

Osky
Old 03-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If you are looking at new, skidoo stopped making the 550 fan for 2021. They are a bullet proof motor for what their intended use is. Do not expect great mileage out of them or to be a powerhouse but to putt around and not overheat and be fairly easy to work on. As far as snowmobiles go despite what many think about their business practices, they are probably the best machine out there technologically. Yes I ride a skidoo currently but just got told work is going Polaris next year. I’ve owned cats and Polaris in the past personally although none were the fan cooled options. If I was spending my $$ on a new sled it would be a skidoo without a doubt.
The e-tec engines were definitely better on fuel and oil than the competitions, but the 850 Polaris engine has become very competitive in the 850 class. It has at least as much power and now durability as the e-tec, and fuel mileage is close. The newly released Polaris 650 is looking to be the class leader for 2021, using the 850 crankcase and new power valves, producing great power, and fuel mileage on 87 octane fuel. The Polaris Axys front suspension has been the front suspension to beat for a few years, and the Skidoo R-motion has been the rear suspension to beat, but the new Polaris Pro CC, has proven to be very competitive, especially in the 137 class. Polaris just released a new upgraded instrumentation package, that will be as good as anything on the market for 2021. Polaris will also be the first manufacturer to offer constant temperature handwarmers for 2021, and they have a new projector lighting system as well. Technologically , Polaris seems to have advanced the most for 2021. I am spending my own money on a snowmobile for next year, and I just Snow checked a Polaris 650 VR1 137, not only because I would never willingly hand over more money to a Quebec based company, but because I see the Polaris product being the front runner in the class that I am looking at.

But since the OP is asking about a fan cooled 550, he obviously isn't looking for the most technologically advance snowmobile, he seems to be after a much lower tech snowmobile at a lower price point. In that class, there isn't a lot of difference between the manufacturers. I like the 600ACE engine for a smaller sized workhorse, as it runs well, and is great n fuel, but it is at a different price point, than the fan cooled 550s.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 AM

For your question, it will depend on what year of sled you are looking at. For a long time now the skidoo 550 has been fuel injected while the Polaris 550 are carbureted and still are for the 2020's. In these types of sleds that is the biggest difference. both are pretty bulletproof.
I have a 2016 Polaris voyaguer 550 with lots of miles on the trapline and really like it. Well maintained I would never know it was carbureted other than choking it on cold start. Starts good in the cold. Fires up in a split second warm would never know it was not fuel injected.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:22 PM

If you plan on using it a lot go with ski-doo all the guys I know that are putting on 3000+ kms a winter have switched to ski-doo. The Polaris 550 is a good motor but rest falls to pieces around it.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:13 PM

Thanks guys,
Mainly a ice fishing unit and maybe 4-5 times a winter at most going with buddies trail riding, been thinking of the tundra?? but boy before spending the coin I sure would like to run one for a day. Due to the ski stance 32 inches vs 36 inches.on the renegade.
Also I like the 550f Renegade 137 inch track can be used for both trail riding and fishing with the heavier bumper installed. Leaning to the doo though like 60% to 40% on the Polaris.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:21 PM

I'm a Doo guy forever so it is my duty to always post against Polaris . But in this case, the Doo models you mention are pretty bulletproof. Fuel Injection is sweet vs carb. Never jet again.

The renegade is a nice cross over sled. Got a bit more track, good ride and gets ups an goes. Go with an etec if you can afford one. I bought my 2012 summit 800 of a friend who had it from new. Bought with 6500 km's, I'm clicking around 13,000 km's now, never touched the engine yet. Both cylinders had equal and factory spec compression last season when I had it serviced.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Thanks guys,
Mainly a ice fishing unit and maybe 4-5 times a winter at most going with buddies trail riding, been thinking of the tundra?? but boy before spending the coin I sure would like to run one for a day. Due to the ski stance 32 inches vs 36 inches.on the renegade.
Also I like the 550f Renegade 137 inch track can be used for both trail riding and fishing with the heavier bumper installed. Leaning to the doo though like 60% to 40% on the Polaris.
The 137" track is a nice compromise , great for trail riding, but will still get by if you end up off rail, in some deeper snow. I personally like a wider ski stance for trail riding, much more stable, although not as maneuverable in steep terrain.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:39 PM

Here’s what I can’t stand about skidoo. Canadian company whose parent company has been bailed out repeatedly by Canadian tax dollars ,they build them in Mexico ,they sell them cheaper in the U.S. than they do in Canada but if you buy one south of the border they won’t honour the warranty . I would never buy a Bombardier/Canamex product. But that’s just me
Old 03-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
For your question, it will depend on what year of sled you are looking at. For a long time now the skidoo 550 has been fuel injected while the Polaris 550 are carbureted and still are for the 2020's. In these types of sleds that is the biggest difference. both are pretty bulletproof.
I have a 2016 Polaris voyaguer 550 with lots of miles on the trapline and really like it. Well maintained I would never know it was carbureted other than choking it on cold start. Starts good in the cold. Fires up in a split second warm would never know it was not fuel injected.
A long time?? I’m not a 550f guy but in 2020 the skidoo was still a carbureted engine not fuel injected.

https://www.snowmobile.com/specs/ski...m-lt/550f.html
Old 03-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Cmon the Beudoin family needs the money. They haven’t been bailed out enough over the years. Buy the doo the Beudoin’s still own quite a bit of BRP...
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
I ride a ETEC 800 Summit but my wife had a Polaris RMK 550 and it was a GREAT sled - Good fuel mileage and started Great Cold or Hot ! Never a Problem ! RJ
Old 03-12-2020, 11:40 AM

Well since looking at both the Polaris and Ski Doo engines I came across this 2015 Ski Doo Renegade 4 stroke it was on Kijiji mint condition for about 35 minutes. when I made the call.
After doing face time video call with the guy rather than driving to see it and then possibly missing the deal I bought it over the phone.
Went fishing yesterday with it, so glad I went this route vs the two stroke smoke, to me even though less power than a 2 stroke the quietness is great also the gas and go will be niceDoo 3.jpg

Doo 2.jpg

Doo 1.jpg.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Nice Sled -Reliable - Just HEAVY - but Then there all Heavy when stuck ! RJ
Old 03-12-2020, 09:15 PM

Heck yah You’ll love that sled!! I do love the 2 stroke power but the rental companies around here use a lot of 4 stroke renegades and grand touring a. They always amaze me how quiet they are and how you can sneak up on someone. With the 2up seat it will be a great fishing machine for you. A buddy of mine has done some impressive powder riding on one as well. Learn how to ride it and being stuck won’t happen very often. Enjoy the machine.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Default 2015 Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Well since looking at both the Polaris and Ski Doo engines I came across this 2015 Ski Doo Renegade 4 stroke it was on Kijiji mint condition for about 35 minutes. when I made the call.
After doing face time video call with the guy rather than driving to see it and then possibly missing the deal I bought it over the phone.
Went fishing yesterday with it, so glad I went this route vs the two stroke smoke, to me even though less power than a 2 stroke the quietness is great also the gas and go will be niceAttachment 161817

Attachment 161818

Attachment 161819.
That’s a nice looking unit there Blastoff but your pictures don’t show any of the fish you caught.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:12 AM

I have a Renegade 550 fan, I have 4000 + miles on it. Very reliable but hard on fuel, my buddy and I did a 70 mile ride and his 600 carb used $20.00 of premium fuel and my 550 used $27.00 of reg fuel.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Also got the solo seat with this unit, was hoping to do a trail ride but a little cool weather next couple of days. Still may go if she gets above -15.
This unit is so quite compared to the tow stroke.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:03 PM

I have a 2016 Polaris lxt 550 144” and it’s be great so far . It’s pretty light for a two seater . I think if I wanted a single seat I would get the Voyager . These sleds are well built for doing work but also very fun off the trail . They definitely don’t have all the bells and whistles that some of the expeditions have but those things are huge. The voyageur would be a great choice for work and play . I think I payed $8200 for mine.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-13-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Here’s what I can’t stand about skidoo. Canadian company whose parent company has been bailed out repeatedly by Canadian tax dollars ,they build them in Mexico ,they sell them cheaper in the U.S. than they do in Canada but if you buy one south of the border they won’t honour the warranty . I would never buy a Bombardier/Canamex product. But that’s just me
Ski-doo's are made in Key-bek, and BRP (SkiDoo) hasn't been owned by Bombardier since 2003. Although a few Bombardier family members are stake holders in BRP.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Ski-doo's are made in Key-bek, and BRP (SkiDoo) hasn't been owned by Bombardier since 2003. Although a few Bombardier family members are stake holders in BRP.
The major shareholders of BRP, are for the most part, the major shareholders of Bombardier. If you purchase a BRP product, you are supporting most of the same people that are benefiting from the handouts to Bombardier. That is enough to keep me from ever purchasing a BRP product.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:38 AM

Same here,buy a polaris or cat,or even a yamaha.I refuse to support anything made in Quebec.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
Same here,buy a polaris or cat,or even a yamaha.I refuse to support anything made in Quebec.
Skidoo utility sleds are made in Europe....
Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Did a 100 kilometer ride yesterday little cold really like the machine, I have had other ski doo`s mainly the 800 ptek and 800 E tek models and they were great machines. As far as the Quebec issues of the past I know I hate to buy them but I buy the product cause and they are in my opinion a better machine to especially the cat, I had a couple of Polaris`s but each to their own, I am sure a lot of negative comments are only due to the handouts they got in the past.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:15 PM

I have had both for the trapline and have had bad experience with both

A polaris voyger 550f 2015
And a skidoo tundra 550f 2019

I have had problems with both machines
The polaris had the controller that feeds the coil go after about 800km, cost over 1200$ to replace at the dealer
After 2 seasons, the starter seizeded up and I put in a aftermarket one (150$) then the pull cord ripped right out and you have the lift the engine to replace it, not hard but annoying

I got rid of that one this year and got a brand new skidoo tundra 550f 2019 thinking try something different

23km in the starter on that machine exploded and chewed up the clutch starter gear
1300$ of warranty work on that one
At about 300km, the cold starts were bad and started to back fire
I just got it back from the dealer 390$ bill not covered by Warrenty saying carb work isn't covered

It's like God doesn't want me to have a sled
Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
I have had both for the trapline and have had bad experience with both

A polaris voyger 550f 2015
And a skidoo tundra 550f 2019

I have had problems with both machines
The polaris had the controller that feeds the coil go after about 800km, cost over 1200$ to replace at the dealer
After 2 seasons, the starter seizeded up and I put in a aftermarket one (150$) then the pull cord ripped right out and you have the lift the engine to replace it, not hard but annoying

I got rid of that one this year and got a brand new skidoo tundra 550f 2019 thinking try something different

23km in the starter on that machine exploded and chewed up the clutch starter gear
1300$ of warranty work on that one
At about 300km, the cold starts were bad and started to back fire
I just got it back from the dealer 390$ bill not covered by Warrenty saying carb work isn't covered

It's like God doesn't want me to have a sled
Ya sounds like a stretch of bad luck for sure ,about how many km’s did your voyageur have before you sold it? Just curious

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip