Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2023, 08:11 PM

Default Weed kill

In my gravel drive way have some grass and weeds growing. I have electric spray container that contained home hardware weed kill kind of worked. Is there some home remedy solution I could mix to kill weeds.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:24 PM

Just get Round up from UFA, it be dead in a week
Old 06-24-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Just get Round up from UFA, it be dead in a week
X2
Old 06-24-2023, 08:32 PM

My wife uses a mixture of 1 Gallon of vinegar, 2 cups of epsom salt 1/4 cup of dawn dish soap , with great success..
Old 06-25-2023, 04:20 PM

Diesel fuel gone forever
Old 06-28-2023, 10:32 PM

Vinegar-salt-soap concoction works wonders. 2 applications worked well for me this spring.

Propane torch as well, might be the more fun option
Old 06-28-2023, 11:14 PM

My gravel driveway gets the tiger torch treatment....very satisfying, instant results. Makes the ol rainbow rock look pretty sharp again.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:06 AM

I find round up seems to be the only thing that works good, never tried diesel and don't really like the smell
Old 06-29-2023, 06:54 AM

Deep Woods Off.

Spray one & go back & look in 3-4 hours....it will be dead & brown.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:59 AM

Default I found out

The weed taking over my garden is red root pigweed. Nasty stuff I guess 1 plant can put out 100,000 seeds and wait 5 years to germinate.I'm going to roundup the whole garden except the potatoes.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
The weed taking over my garden is red root pigweed. Nasty stuff I guess 1 plant can put out 100,000 seeds and wait 5 years to germinate.I'm going to roundup the whole garden except the potatoes.
Round Up only kills growing weeds. Dormant seeds are un touched by it.

You need a herbicide which is systemic, but that would also pretty much kill of most everything in the garden too.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-29-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You can eat pigweed, it’s delicious wen it’s young. The seeds are edible too but I’ve never tried those.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
You can eat pigweed, it’s delicious wen it’s young. The seeds are edible too but I’ve never tried those.
I was thinking the same thing, but when I looked up red root pigweed it doesn't look like the stuff I remember eating as a kid.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:58 PM

I'll second the vinegar, salt and dish soap it works great.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Round Up only kills growing weeds. Dormant seeds are un touched by it.

You need a herbicide which is systemic, but that would also pretty much kill of most everything in the garden too.
Systemic means the chemical takes its time to work through the whole plant, what you are thinking of is residual, meaning the chemical stays around doing its job.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Systemic means the chemical takes its time to work through the whole plant, what you are thinking of is residual, meaning the chemical stays around doing its job.
Yup, bad choice of words… thank you

There are no absolutes
Old 06-30-2023, 10:02 AM

Went to UFA to buy chemical for some tough weeds. I could not believe price, they wanted $800 for 2 jugs of Resolve. What happened to $100/jug for 2-4D?
Old 06-30-2023, 05:54 PM

It's 2023 now.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Went to UFA to buy chemical for some tough weeds. I could not believe price, they wanted $800 for 2 jugs of Resolve. What happened to $100/jug for 2-4D?
Yup

Par 3 is $150/jug now. $129 last year.

Be thankful if you dont get fusarium in your wheat crop. 28gal pail of Caramba is $6600 bucks.....lol

I sat with a buddy last year and he told me the whole sad story......wow. Then the guy down the road was canola canola canola.......never got clubroot....go figure

Last edited by huntinstuff; 06-30-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but when I looked up red root pigweed it doesn't look like the stuff I remember eating as a kid.

ARG

You are right, it's not the same thing. The plant you are thinking of is Lambs Quarters, mistakenly called pigweed by some.
The offical name for it is Goosefoot. And they are closely related to Quinoa, of health food fame.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-02-2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I wasn't getting a good catch with straight roundup, bought some par 3 and mixed with roundup and heavy dose of par 3. plants were dropped over by noon. round up normally took about a week to see affects.
I've got mostly trouble with kosha some dandelion and a little rag weed.
farm gravel driveway and parking.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You are right, it's not the same thing. The plant you are thinking of is Lambs Quarters, mistakenly called pigweed by some.
The offical name for it is Goosefoot. And they are closely related to Quinoa, of health food fame.
Nope, that isn't it either... the stuff my mother and grandfather called "pigs weed" was more of a ground cover, pink/white stem, small oval leaves. Steamed and slathered with butter it was quite tasty.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:13 AM

Roundup is the way to go for driveways, walkways and other areas where you want everything that is growing DEAD. As others mentioned it's a non-selective, low residual (meaning it kills anything "green" and does not have a systemic component - so no pre-emergent protection) but it's easy to use and relatively safe.

2-4-D Like Par3 is selective herbicide (meaning it selects what it kills - like broadleaf weeds but does not harm your grass) - this is great for the lawn but useless to prevent grass growing through your gravel. Chemicals containing 2-4-D have low residuals (with little or no pre emergent protection).

I'm not sure if you can still get systemic sterilants with high residuals (kills everything alive and does not allow anything to grow in that soil for a long time - like years) like a Calcide without a license or permit anymore .... but that could be a better option if the area does not "run off" into your lawn or flower beds as the rain may wash the stuff around. I knwo the rules have changed on who can get their hands on what and I've been away from that for a couple decades and not up on the current regulations. Long residuals with non-selective systemic properties have many hazards and are dangerous to the environment and the people applying it - so I don't recommend them to anyone unless the conditions are right and they know what they are doing. The use of these chemicals why the farmer 2 miles down had a pond full of 5 legged frogs. lol.

Best thing for your situation is Roundup.

Last edited by EZM; 07-03-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Roundup is the way to go for driveways, walkways and other areas where you want everything that is growing DEAD. As others mentioned it's a non-selective, low residual (meaning it kills anything "green" and does not have a systemic component - so no pre-emergent protection) but it's easy to use and relatively safe.

2-4-D Like Par3 is selective herbicide (meaning it selects what it kills - like broadleaf weeds but does not harm your grass) - this is great for the lawn but useless to prevent grass growing through your gravel. Chemicals containing 2-4-D have low residuals (with little or no pre emergent protection).

I'm not sure if you can still get systemic sterilants with high residuals (kills everything alive and does not allow anything to grow in that soil for a long time - like years) like a Calcide without a license or permit anymore .... but that could be a better option if the area does not "run off" into your lawn or flower beds as the rain may wash the stuff around. I knwo the rules have changed on who can get their hands on what and I've been away from that for a couple decades and not up on the current regulations.

Best thing for your situation is Roundup.
Question: How do these chemicals mix with your well water? Can they leach into your water table?? Just curious......
Old 07-03-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Question: How do these chemicals mix with your well water? Can they leach into your water table?? Just curious......
Officially, and according to the manufacturers, the low residual chemicals become "safe" after they are no longer in an aqueous state (when they dry). So, the Roundup is only killing when it's wet. Once its dry it's safe for people and pets to walk on ........... supposedly. I feel better after it dries, and it's been a day or two and maybe a good rain after. You can feel a film on the grass/weeds for a few days, but, admittedly, its very yard to rub off.

In terms of ground water contamination, anything you put on your lawn, or above your well, if there is a path there, even if it's years to get there, will get there eventually. Having said that, there are many natural chemical in the soil too that are just as (or more) harmful - so for me, and my well, I am less concerned about well contamination for the amount of Roundup that will eventually make it's way down there. You are not using allot of it, and most of the volatiles have evaporated leaving carrier chemicals that are not that harmful really.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:37 AM

Tiger torch
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-03-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Roundup was first invented as a product to treat water with. Then they found out how well it kills weeds. So it is supposedly safe enough to drink. But I haven’t found a chem rep that will drink it yet.

Roundup neutralizes once it hits dirt. Also as long as the water you are using to mix with is not dirty it should be fine. Control will also be less if you are kicking up lots of dust while applying it.

As long as you are following label directions and not over applying these chemicals you should be fine.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:13 AM

Round-up great weed killer, but designated a carcinogen cancer chemical. Nice to see forestry companies spraying cut blocks to kill blue berry and saskatoon shrubs so pine trees will grow faster. Also great for spraying wheat crop just before baking into bread.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:31 AM

Pulled this dandelion. As dry as it was, the root tips were wet.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:12 PM

You could always find some horticultural vinegar (20%-30% Acetic Acid) or industrial grade stuff (45%-50%) and dilute it.

A 20% solution will certainly destroy any weed out there in a few hours ..... and AA has no long term impacts to the environment or the water table.