Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2016, 06:30 PM

Loved my old 288 nitro with 200 mercy on it. A bow you could have dance on and ample room on the back deck. No sense on plowing through the waves with the deep v hull on your Lund, when you can get up on top of them and dangle to the next fishing spot worry free. I think the guys beating up the bass hull have never rode in one before. My two bits don't shy away from them, one recommendation would be is to get one with a full windshield though
Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Because they are used on Saltwater.

Ever seen a fiberglass patrol boat?

Drop a down rigger ball on your fiberglass shower base and it ain't watertight anymore.
Not talking saltwater talking great lake charters

Mack
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Drop a down rigger ball on your fiberglass shower base and it ain't watertight anymore.
Sorry but I'm not stupid enough to take a down rigger ball into my shower

I think you are reaching to far to find an answer that ain't there

Mack
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:

I think you should check your information most lake patrol boats are fiberglass composites

Mack
Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Not many fly-in lodges, where the boat they give you is Fiber.
Don't see many fiberglass boats on the Bow River.
Don't see the Fire Department running fiberglass in their patrol boat.

Also, Fiberglass has problems with Osmosis. The gel coat cracks either from the sun, rough water, rock chips driving to the water, or scrapping. Once cracked or crazed, water gets in and rots the boat. You don't see it, then the structure is compromised.
Aluminum boats have issues with electrolysis, they are noisy sounds travel through hull.
Fly in lake have aluminum boat because of the wieght factor. But big lake charters all use fiberglass. And I won't even comment on the bow we are talking about stability on big lakes

Maybe try fishing out of your small water element and you will see the difference

Mack
Old 03-28-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Have you ever fished out of a glass walleye boat? I'm guessing you haven't based on this post. That info could not be more inaccurate.

There is no comparison in rough water ride quality or fishability between glass and aluminum. Glass wins HANDS DOWN.
X2
No doubt in my mind either.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
X2
No doubt in my mind either.
This would be the "checkmate" of the deep v walleye boats in glass ...... I only I had a cool $100K burning a hole in my pocket....

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/219-pro-v-gl/

But because I still like to beach my boat overnight and go into some thin water on occasion ..... I will keep my tinner for now.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 PM

I hate to get in on this but I gotta..trying to compare all bass boats to all aluminum boats us way to general. There are many different hulls available when you look at different boat brands as well as models. Bass boats that are under 17 ft are definitely meant to play on smaller water but 19 ft + boats are often designed to fish in some pretty crappy conditions and do just fine. A buddy has a 21 ft nitro and I have a 20 ft basscat. Both these boats will handle most lakes alberta has to offer. If high winds are forcast for slave then I won't be there but not many lund guys would want to go either. The basscat came from a lake of the woods tournament dude so it has seen some huge water. I do miss beaching my boat to go in for lunch and I use a rock guard for the truck and the boat has a bra to protect the gel from chips.
Now to clear up some misconceptions
As for weight mine is hull alone bout 18-1900lbs. And yes basscat boats have a lifetime transferable hull warranty. She holds 55 gallons of fuel. It's draw is about a foot . It has a thick keel protector so I can go into sand or gravel without damage. Fiberglass does flex so minor impacts don't hurt. Livewell is huge and hasn't killed a walleye during a tournament. I can hold everything you could ever want for rods and tackle and keep it out of the way in organized lockers not on the deck or standing up in holders waiting to get broke or snagged. It has a net storage locker. It's very fun and fast and with a 225 will break 70mph and there aren't many fishing boats around here that will touch it...(for the guys at the tournaments you will see a different prop on her this year )☺.
So if you still have any doubts about how a fiberglass bass boat hull will handle alberta water just ask the guys we have fished against at Moose or Pinehurst about the guys in the basscat lol
Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 PM

If I had Nates money I would buy a new Ranger or other glass boat.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This would be the "checkmate" of the deep v walleye boats in glass ...... I only I had a cool $100K burning a hole in my pocket....

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/219-pro-v-gl/

But because I still like to beach my boat overnight and go into some thin water on occasion ..... I will keep my tinner for now.
Maybe they will change the rating for the new 400hp motor.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:06 AM

Wooden hulls are the best.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Classics are cool.

Sit them in the water, leak for a week, wood swells up and leak prof for the rest of the season!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You can beach a glass boat with a keel guard anywhere you'd beach your aluminum. I'm selective about where and when, but I beach my glass boat all the time, and you'd never know it to look at the hull. If it's rocky or the boat is moving around in the waves, both are going to be scratched/damaged.

I wouldn't leave my boat beached over night, but I never would have left my aluminum Pro V beached overnight either. It's not glass vs. aluminum that's preventing me from doing it, it's the fact that my boat is very expensive and I take care of it accordingly. I'd rather just throw it back on the trailer...

Last edited by Walleyedude; 03-29-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
They also depreciate less (I wonder why).
Ever checked the prices on used Rangers? Warriors? High end fiberglass bass boats (Charger, BassCat, Allison, etc...)?

30+ year old boats from the late 80's and early 90's are still in huge demand and drawing big $$$$$$...
Old 03-29-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I thought they didn't weigh more? Can't have it both ways.

Since when has a bass boat been used as a charter on a big lake.

Bottom line is, fiberglass is more delicate. It breaks, it snaps and it suffers from osmosis.

It's also heavier. And the downrigger ball in the shower is a pretty good analogy, because everyone knows what would happen, it's obvious and illustrates the point very well, which is why you would rather dismiss it.

I realize your ego leads you to want to protect your heavy investment, but
get real. Fiberglass is not as durable, costs more, and bass boats are not the safest in large waves. Sure, you can deny that, but it don't make it true.

Lets see how your fiberglass boat survives in the Bow.

Sure fiberglass has some advantages, but the OP wanted to know if a Bass Boat was a good buy for Alberta Waters, and he has the answer, deep V Aluminum is a more practical for this environment. The also depreciate less (I wonder why).
First of all we were talking fiberglass boats in general not just bass boats so don't try and twist it to your liking

If you read my posts you will see I never said aluminum was not lighter

Ok if you want to use the shower analogy then let's see what happens if you drop a down rigger ball on aluminum foil.

You still have not proven that aluminum is more stable then fiberglass in big water and you won't because it not.

As far as protecting my investment I already said I've had both and fiberglass was superior on big waters you and your tinner may be fine on a creek like the bow but it won't play with the big boys

Can you show me were aluminum boat depreciate less.

Oh by the way I do own a 16.5 ft Crestliner tinner just don't take it on big rough water

Mack
Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Muskoka boats art on the water

Mack
Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Banned

Someone here is very misinformed on glass boats
Old 03-29-2016, 11:22 AM

LOL people think the soft crap grade, thin aluminum on consumer tin boats is "tough". The bottom on my Lund was so soft it was scary. Don't even get me started on how easy the sides would dent in if you even tapped the side of a dock. And the ride in rough water was terrible and wet compared to even the cheapest glass boats I have been in.

Real aluminum boats are minimum 0.190" thick on the bottom to be considered tough.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinman22 View Post
Someone here is very misinformed on glass boats
Yep, it's starting to get comical.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
If you're set on buying a plastic boat, then it's cheaper to buy at the 5-10 year mark rather than new and then you lose less in depreciation.
Links? Actual data?

Comparisons of new MSRP vs used pricing for aluminum vs fiberglass?

I expect similar results to the weight comparison points. Lots of bark, not much bite...
Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

Jet, you keep saying fiberglass is slower Your very mistaken most are a lot faster. And they hold their price quite well. I own both deep v (20 ft )and a bass boat (21ft) and both with 250 motors the glass bass boat is 25 miles an hour faster and 10 times smoother ride.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM

Nvm, carry on.

Last edited by Talking moose; 03-29-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep, I've got a truck and a boat and the truck goes faster.

You're talking 2 different hull shapes ergo 2 completely different boats.

Also, the boats won't be kitted out the same or built the same, or weigh the same.

Learn about friction, water resistance, air resistance, weight and then try again.
Man you have zero idea, and by the way the boats weigh within 100 lbs of each other. I'm done with you
By the way YOU are in need of learning about your last line.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

Default Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
So I have a friend who recently asked me if I wanted to buy his 640lx Nitro bass boat. I don't know much about fishing in bass boats nor do I know how they handle large lakes and rough water. If anyone has any info or past experiences I would love to know about it. Worth buying or not? I'm not sure they year, I'm guess info around 2001. Cheers
I have a 19 ft Ranger Bass Boat but I payed very close attention to the hull chosen. Did lots of research. Mine is the R81/83 hull which is the exact copy of the famous 481 hull.

When there are whitecaps on the lake I nail it and it does very well.

I was shocked at how well it handled rough water but then on the other hand these boats were designed for tournament fishing and built to go when the going gets rough.

My boat came from fishing the Kentucky lake area in Tennessee and Kentucky where the water is pretty big.

Not to fret however if there are very rough conditions and I just have to get out I have a boat with the Carolina flare front end made for the salt.

Go for the bass boat. Try it for a few years. You will really like it.

When bored come and join the Okanagan Bass Anglers and BASS for the tournaments in Southern BC.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Actually we're not, see the title of this post. We're talking Bass Boats (which are usually fiberglass) versus Deep V's (which are most often Aluminum)

We're talking about fishing boats in Alberta waters. If you want to talk about fishing the Great Lakes and what boat / hull you'd use, go ahead. I would point out that they don't make liners out of fiberglass, but that's about just as relevant as Great lakes fishing is to this discussion.

Comparison wise EZM has it right, similar boats and the handling is about the same, the plastic boat is heavier and slower (and I'll add more delicate,
often more expensive new and in general depreciates faster).

If you're set on buying a plastic boat, then it's cheaper to buy at the 5-10 year mark rather than new and then you lose less in depreciation.
Do you just pull these statement out of your ass there are lots of bass boats that are aluminum and there are more deep v fiberglass then you will find aluminum try doing g some research before you post.

Mack
Old 03-29-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you get off demanding information to prove to you what is generally known in the industry, but let me help educate you some:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Pros+And+Cons+O...iberglass+Boat

Read down the first page or so, and you'll figure it out.
You have strong opinions, but offer nothing to support them. I don't think it's much to ask to have a person provide some support for their assertions. You claim it's "generally known", but that doesn't seem to be the case, or there wouldn't be people questioning you and disagreeing with the assertion.

Your link didn't work. I get a link to Google, nothing more. About what I would expect. By the looks of it, you weren't even Googling the correct question. I asked specifically about pricing and resale.

Quote:
And if you really don't get that Plastic is heavier, less strong, subject to Osmosis if you get the slightest crack in your gel coat and requires more maintenance...
then I don't think there is any proof that would convince you otherwise.

With aluminum, many of the bumps, dings, running into the dock, small collisions with floating object are a non issue. Dropping stuff like downrigger balls, or smacking sinkers, weights and other objects into the hull sides is no big deal.

Sure everybody likes to take care of their boat (I do), but stuff happens to people and many would rather maximize the chances of the boat not ending up at the bottom of the lake. If you're fishing hard, then durability is a practical consideration too.
I know this, you repeating yourself ad nauseum, with no evidence to support it, is not convincing me.

I guess your point is that, if you're careless and you're going to beat on your boat, you're accident prone, or you're cheap, buy aluminum. (Just kidding aluminum guys! I don't actually think that lol.)

Boat ending up at the bottom of the lake...

Quote:
Maybe it's time for you to go and learn about this stuff. I notice your Warrior needs a Bow Bra, and has to come standard with a Keel Guard, to protect that surface from cosmetic damage that rapidly becomes more serious osmosis.

And if you want a real good reason to why Fiberglass is better than Aluminum, to quote yourself:

And if you want to know how durable a fiberglass boat is, here's your own quote:

Nuff said, if you get a fiberglass boat, shouldn't go anywhere without protection for that delicate surface, if a rock chip kicked up from a wheel is enough to damage the surface, imagine what something larger at more of a speed differential can do.
Hahaha. You're really grasping at straws now.

I wouldn't tow ANY boat on AB or SK roads without a rock guard. I had one on my aluminum boats as well. Go to any walleye tournament and look at the boats there, glass or aluminum, and see for yourself what percentage of owners have a rock guard on their trailers. It's common sense. I want to keep ANY boat looking like new as long as a I can. The paint and finish on ANY boat is very quickly damaged by rock chips, and that damage is far more costly than a good rock guard.

I know I said I was done, and I should be, but even though I don't get any actual responses, this is great, it does amuse me. It's really making my day go by in a hurry lol.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 03-29-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM

Smile

Gents!
I currently own a pro-v ISP2 2075 with a 300hp verado. I moved back to ontario because of work last year. I fish the Master Walleye Circuit and NOWT, Lake Erie mainly. Now Ranger sponsors MWC and most of the pros (LAKE ERIE) run glass boats in the states and southern ontario, Northern ontario smaller lakes its all aluminium. I'm a Lund guy, as i think they are the best boat to fish out of, specifically walleye. Now i had the opportunity to run a 621fs with a 300 envinrude, i have to admit it did run smoother in the big water but not enough for me to switch. Both boats are within 100lbs of each other. You can't really compare the two as the hulls are totally different designs, the ranger has a deeper V vrs the lund ISP2 hull. They are both in the same league for price 100k depending on how you rig it! The 621fs tops out at the same speed as my pro-v 58-60mph depending on how much gas and gear you have so ihmo i don't think glass is faster but it seems smoother. One con to glass is rigging up your boat, your limited to kickers as you have to use brackets and really know where your drilling and tapping stuff into, aluminum not so much.
Cheers!
Old 03-29-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
the lack of facts you've been providing, the contradictions and the lack of science. Perhaps you should finish what you start.
I actually laughed out loud at this one. Ohhhhhh the irony.

Thanks Jet, it's been a slice!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I actually laughed out loud at this one. Ohhhhhh the irony.

Thanks Jet, it's been a slice!
I think arguing with jet is like dealing with a politician if they can't dazzle you with brilliance they will baffle you with bullsheet ive been around boats enough to see the difference time to move on...

Mack
Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Gents .... everybody kumbaya - I know we are between ice and open water season so we are all getting a little cabin fever .....

There are still 2 seperate issues here - hull/boat design AND material.

I bet if we all took a breath and checked off a detailed questionnaire - where you would rate the best material and hull design combination for each intended applications/use - everyone arguing here may just find that they agree on the overwhelming majority of the points being made.