Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Latex gloves

Just to add to the long plastic shoulder length gloves.....put on a pair of latex gloves over top of these so you have a nice tight/snug fit so as not to look like your building a sub sammich...
Old 11-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Any tire shop will give you one;

I have used an old car/truck inner tube....cut a strip of 3" inner tube.....one inner tube is good for about 10 covers.... can also double for a bungee if needed.
Yup! Great idea. We've been using those for years!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:06 AM

Instead of baby wipes or disinfectant wipes, I prefer a bottle of hand sanitizer. napkins just like mud for me. In addition, with RightHunting I chose my binoculars. For hunting, specifically found compact binoculars and a cover for it with several pockets. Now I also store documents in it.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:50 AM

This solar powered power bank has saved the day a few times

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07D3S...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nobody has mentioned dryer lint for fire starter, works great, light, and squishes down to take up almost no room
Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Moss and snow can do a lot of cleaning and doesn't need to be packed in or out.

I travel as light as possible. A rifle, half a dozen rounds of ammo, a knife a sharpener, some matches and only the cloths I need for the weather that day.

I'd rather take precautions before heading out then to carry them with me.

I'd rather use whats available in the bush then carry it in and then back out again.

I can do a lot with just a knife and a stick. I can cut, chop, scrape, and pry with my knife.
I can drive a knife through bone with a stick, I can prop things up with a stick, I can spread ribs and turn a Moose, all by myself, with just a stick to turn it and a stick to hold it in the position I want.

Butchering a Moose by yourself is enough work without packing around a whole lot of things I will never use.

And of course, it helps a lot that I have been hunting these forests since I was old enough to walk. Long before there was GPS and cell phones I was learning how to hunt with the little that a son of a homesteader could afford.

Old habits die hard and hunting habits are no different. I learned to hunt with only the basics so that is all I use today.

I was out hunting with my sister yesterday and we got talking about the rifles we own.

I own a 30-06 that I traded a $75.00 CB radio for. I own a .303 that I bought at a farm auction for $65.00 back in the 1980s.
I own a 30-30 model 94 that I traded a $125.00 army surplus 308 for.
And I own a 7.62x39 that was given to me because the owner got tired of murdering tin cans with it.

That's not all of my rifles but enough to get the flavor of my hunting purchases.

Maybe it's habit from living so much of my life with a woman who could bankrupt Donald Trump or maybe it's because I am just plain cheap.

Whatever it is, it is the way I am and I'm comfortable with that.

I'd rather put my money where it will do the most good and so to with my effort.

The less gear I pack in the more meat I can pack out. Simple as that.

And I don't worry about getting lost or injured. See I know I am more likely to die in a car accident on the way to town to buy that new shiny scope then I am to die in the bush from any cause.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 AM

Great thread! One tip once you get around to taking field photos is to cut off the tongue right away so it doesn't find its way into your pictures.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Keg, enjoyed your pack kit story. Us old guys raised in North Peace country knew how to make do with $30 army surplus 303 and hunting knife, then quarters of moose on your back to nearest road.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 AM

when storing broadheads in case I use old 35 mm film canisters and cut slit in lid... now with digital cameras I use pill bottles....

prevents dull broad heads or from inadvertently cutting strings etc. in bow case..

I have baby wipes but also carry those cloths that expand when wet as they are very handy as bandages too... I Also carry a foot long piece of d loop cord because it is an excellent fire starter too... and many other uses too...

and ziplock bags are always handy I often put my dirty knife in one after I am done....
Old 12-23-2018, 12:54 AM

Great thread idea!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:18 AM

I carry a 30" coil of 1/8 inch steel cable.
Has saved the day several times when getting mud/ snow in the barrel.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 AM

Since I do the majority of my hunting in alpine country I am always prepared to survive the elements if and when necessary. Fire starting gear is a high priority for me along with appropriate clothing that is capable of keeping me alive for extended periods of time, days if necessary. I carry a saw or axe at all times for gathering fire wood, shelter building and field dressing game. A stainless steel cup for boiling water and a long shoe horn for field dressing is also in the bottom of my pack along with a good quality durable fixed blade knife and multi tool with pliers.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:28 PM

I carry a fire striker and cotton balls rubbed in vaseline, takes up no space, light, start quick and burn long. Timed one this fall and it burnt alone for over 5 mins.
50ft of orange paracord, works for many things that might be required, shoe laces, making a lean to, tie things to your pack.
A 9x12 tarp to go along with the paracord, if its windy, rainy or you've ever had to spend a night out unexpectedly you know the value of one.
Metal water canister and water purification system when I fly in along with my survival pack.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
a long shoe horn for field dressing.
What for? I've never seen or heard of this.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
What for? I've never seen or heard of this.
After many of years of field dressing big game, on occasion I would nick the bladder while cutting through the H bone or pubic bone, I prefer to open the pelvis in order to access the urethra and rectum for easy and clean removal. After cutting the hooked end off of a long shoe horn and slightly sharpening both remaining ends I insert the horn underneath the H bone between the H bone and the bladder. For large animals such as moose and elk I push the large end through directly under the H bone and for small game such as deer and sheep I push the smaller end through the entire length of the of the H bone and slightly beyond. With the shoe horn in place I saw through the H bone without any risk of nicking the bladder.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:47 AM

Default Cool thread.

Shoe horns, baby wipes and chapstick. If yer not worried about weight heck, carry a saws all too😜.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I travel as light as possible. A rifle, half a dozen rounds of ammo, a knife a sharpener, some matches and only the cloths I need for the weather that day.

I'd rather use whats available in the bush then carry it in and then back out again.

I can do a lot with just a knife and a stick. I can cut, chop, scrape, and pry with my knife.
I can drive a knife through bone with a stick, I can prop things up with a stick, I can spread ribs and turn a Moose, all by myself, with just a stick to turn it and a stick to hold it in the position I want.

Butchering a Moose by yourself is enough work without packing around a whole lot of things I will never use.

And of course, it helps a lot that I have been hunting these forests since I was old enough to walk. Long before there was GPS and cell phones I was learning how to hunt with the little that a son of a homesteader could afford.

Old habits die hard and hunting habits are no different. I learned to hunt with only the basics so that is all I use today.

I was out hunting with my sister yesterday and we got talking about the rifles we own.

I own a 30-06 that I traded a $75.00 CB radio for. I own a .303 that I bought at a farm auction for $65.00 back in the 1980s.
And I own a 7.62x39 that was given to me because the owner got tired of murdering tin cans with it.

That's not all of my rifles but enough to get the flavor of my hunting purchases.

Maybe it's habit from living so much of my life with a woman who could bankrupt Donald Trump or maybe it's because I am just plain cheap.

I'd rather put my money where it will do the most good and so to with my effort.

And I don't worry about getting lost or injured. See I know I am more likely to die in a car accident on the way to town to buy that new shiny scope then I am to die in the bush from any cause.
I love this and have the same way of thinking...
Old 12-24-2018, 11:00 AM

I bring a rifle and a knife and a bit of bailer twine , but most important is I bring my son or someone similar that is bigger and stronger than me that can do the heavy lifting .
Old 12-24-2018, 12:24 PM

I always like to bring a little glow light like the ones they have for dog collars. That way if I drop my pack and go for a sneak when bow hunting, I just turn it on and not have to worry about finding it in the dark. Also works great to put on a deer if you shoot them at last light and have to run to your truck to grab something. Just hang it on his antler or in a tree makes finding it again really easy.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

les

Testicles, spectacles, wallet & watch. Check - Good to go.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Never leave home without a stash of 12 hr Advil.
Unreal stuff. Especially when you have part of a moose on your back 8 km from a truck.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Ranger CS;3898601]Since I do the majority of my hunting in alpine country I am always prepared to survive the elements if and when necessary. Fire starting gear is a high priority for me along with appropriate clothing that is capable of keeping me alive for extended periods of time, days if necessary. I carry a saw or axe at all times for gathering fire wood, shelter building and field dressing game. A stainless steel cup for boiling water and a long shoe horn for field dressing is also in the bottom of my pack along with a good quality durable fixed blade knife and multi tool with pliers

Given the choice would you take an axe or saw ?
Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Old trappers always considered a axe one of the most essential tools in bush!
Old 12-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Not something I take, but something i to do. Always look behind you at the trail. Things can look way different going back and if you are in new territory you can end up taking the wrong trail if it splits unexpectingly.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Not something I take, but something i to do. Always look behind you at the trail. Things can look way different going back and if you are in new territory you can end up taking the wrong trail if it splits unexpectingly.
X2

Also, it’s amazing what comes out once you’ve gone by!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=gs100bert;3899242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Since I do the majority of my hunting in alpine country I am always prepared to survive the elements if and when necessary. Fire starting gear is a high priority for me along with appropriate clothing that is capable of keeping me alive for extended periods of time, days if necessary. I carry a saw or axe at all times for gathering fire wood, shelter building and field dressing game. A stainless steel cup for boiling water and a long shoe horn for field dressing is also in the bottom of my pack along with a good quality durable fixed blade knife and multi tool with pliers

Given the choice would you take an axe or saw ?
An axe always trumps a saw, I always have one hanging off my horse. However when traveling in tough country a saw (Knapp Saw) is lighter, smaller and fits in my back pack. I always have it with me.
Most survivalists believe an axe is the most important tool one can carry.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Ranger CS;3899619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs100bert View Post

An axe always trumps a saw, I always have one hanging off my horse. However when traveling in tough country a saw (Knapp Saw) is lighter, smaller and fits in my back pack. I always have it with me.
Coming from a national park backpacker background, I have never wanted to add a saw or an axe to my pack. This fall starting hunting, I have come to realize that a saw actually saves weight backpacking on crown land when you replace the tent with a tarp lean-to and a cozy fire. There is the added benefit as well that when you leave the camp you have the security of a way to make a quick shelter and solid fire if you get stuck out.

Might start carrying a hatchet next fall on multi-day trips where I am hunting out of the same camp so I can split some wood, rather than just burn the rounds.

I know this is old hat to many of you guys, but I have been enjoying learning the bushcraft stuff!
Old 12-26-2018, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Ranger CS;3899619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs100bert View Post

Axe,and knife. Are the two most important tools for bushcraft. But I've never carried an axe while hunting nor have I found I need an axe while hunting. But my hunting is day long trips not overnighters. I do have an axe on my quad everyday of the year though
Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Folding saw

I always have my 8” Oregon folding saw in my pack.
I can carve out a makeshift ground blind under a spruce quickly and quietly(vs using a hatchet/machete etc) in about 3 minutes.Same with pruning tree branches for shooting lanes,climbing spruce trees to hang a stand etc.
Comes in handy for field dressing as well if you want to saw through bones,pelvic,sternum etc.....but I pretty much mostly use gutless method these days and other methods that don’t require splitting pelvis.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 AM

Use toilet paper instead of survey tape for marking blood. The white is easy to see, it can be hung on grass or brush without being tied, and is biodegradable.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Use toilet paper instead of survey tape for marking blood. The white is easy to see, it can be hung on grass or brush without being tied, and is biodegradable.
X2.
Don't have to go around collecting your tape afterward....

BH