Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Any where to ice fish near Olds

Any one from the Olds area?, I just moved here recently and wondering where some good spots are to go fishing. Don't care what I catch.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM

i would suggest heading up a bit north to gull, sylvan or pine - don't know about ice conditions though- havent heard many reports yet
cheers
Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Good place would be the Dickson trout pond. Head up to Innisfail, west to Spruceview then south. Lot's of trout in there.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM

I think I'll set the fishing shack on pine slough this year, I have fished dickson troat pond a couple times, not much luck, caught one small rainbow a few years ago, I was hoping there was a small fishing hole a little closer to Olds, but can't seem to find anything searching the Internet. Family has a troat pond not far to the east but the fish don't usually make it through the winter.
Has any one been on Pine Lake yet?, is the ice thick enough to drive a truck on?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Well I know that Sylvan only has shore ice so far so i would guess that Pine is very similar. Give it a week of cold weather and most of the bigger lakes should be good to go. If you want a recent ice update give Dorothy a call at Scotties Resort and she will tell you. If you are planning on driving on i would wait till the ice is at least 16 inches and stick to spots that have been previously driven on.