Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM

Smile Shore fishing near Edmonton?

Hey all,
new here and new to Edmonton. I'm sure this has been asked a million times.
Can anyone suggest a lake(s) to do some shore fishing near Edmonton?
Hopefully with 1.5hrs drive of Edmonton. I don't care what kind of fish are being caught just somewhere close to get to that I can cast from shore or go in with my hipwaders. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM

The river has been treating me good lately. If you do a Google search you can find a few spots.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Right in Edmonton would you suggest? I also heard out by Devon was good for the river. Thanks
Old 07-05-2016, 09:40 PM

I go right in the city itself. I usually hike for a couple km down riverside paths til I find a spot that interests me and give it a go.

I'll save you the trouble of fishing under the groat bridge, it's too shallow and full of weeds there to catch much. So far that's the only place I've been skunked on the river.

Wear polarized sunglasses and you can see the deep spots in the river if you climb up the bank a ways. Cast a line into the deep spots and you will catch something.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 AM

great thanks for the info.
Just curious if you catch and release or do you actually eat fish out of the river? I just read tonight that it's recommended you not eat fish more than once a week out of the river due to mercury levels. I'm used to fishing lakes in northern Sask rather than the river.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 AM

You can try Wabamun or East Pit Lake (I think they're like 10 minutes away from one another).
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2edmonton View Post
great thanks for the info.
Just curious if you catch and release or do you actually eat fish out of the river? I just read tonight that it's recommended you not eat fish more than once a week out of the river due to mercury levels. I'm used to fishing lakes in northern Sask rather than the river.

In the city I wouldn't eat them. I was jet boating through the city in a storm and the amount of tampons, condoms, diapers, maxi pads and needles that got washed into the river was gross! I couldn't believe what I saw! But I caught a nice pike this weekend west of Drayton valley and ate it and was a very good tasting fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
In the city I wouldn't eat them. I was jet boating through the city in a storm and the amount of tampons, condoms, diapers, maxi pads and needles that got washed into the river was gross! I couldn't believe what I saw! But I caught a nice pike this weekend west of Drayton valley and ate it and was a very good tasting fish!

X2, the water inside city limits is disgusting to say the least. You aren't allowed to eat the walleye, so basically you have Goldeye, pike and suckers to eat. You might get lucky and catch a rocky Mountain whitefish or a burbot but I wouldn't count on getting enough for a feed.
Wabamun lake can be productive from shore, but again it's all catch and release in that lake.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM

Where can a guy fish from shore at wabamun without it being private property or anything like that? I'm always on the river and would like to mix it up abit.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
Where can a guy fish from shore at wabamun without it being private property or anything like that? I'm always on the river and would like to mix it up a bit.
The defined bed and shore of the lake is federal land, not private, regardless of adjacent properties. If you can access the lake and then wade /walk on the shoreline you can go anywhere you want to.

There are a number of spots where you can access the water near the various hamlets in Seba Beach, Fallis, Betula, near Sundance, Wabamun town, the provincial park etc.

Do a quick search on the forum here, there is a lot of useful access info for Wabamun- good luck!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 AM

Almost every stocked trout pond in Alberta has lots of shore-fishing opportunities. In Edmonton there is the pond in Hermitage Park, in Beaumont there is 4-seasons park, Leduc has a pond, Vegreville has a pond, lots of others west of the city and north of the city. Hasse Lake, Morinville (2 there I think), etc.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The defined bed and shore of the lake is federal land, not private, regardless of adjacent properties. If you can access the lake and then wade /walk on the shoreline you can go anywhere you want to.

There are a number of spots where you can access the water near the various hamlets in Seba Beach, Fallis, Betula, near Sundance, Wabamun town, the provincial park etc.

Do a quick search on the forum here, there is a lot of useful access info for Wabamun- good luck!
Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

There are several small trout ponds and even larger lakes around Edm. where you can fish from shore, OP. There are also many spots on the NSR both in the city and on the outskirts.
I don't eat the fish from the NSR, but a lot of people do. During a good rain or storm there is a lot of water released from the storm outfalls and natural creeks to really stir up the the river. Keep in mind that Edm. is a large city so you really have all sorts of pollutants getting washed into the river. That said, after a few calm days the NSR can be very clear and fun to fish. Lots of species you might catch, and some monster pike and wallies.
I really get a kick out of some of these posters with a laundry list of all the terrible, horrible stuff they see with their own eyes. Good thing fisherman are allowed to "embellish" their stories. Only thing missing in some of these stories are all the dead human bodies washing out to sea.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
There are several small trout ponds and even larger lakes around Edm. where you can fish from shore, OP. There are also many spots on the NSR both in the city and on the outskirts.
I don't eat the fish from the NSR, but a lot of people do. During a good rain or storm there is a lot of water released from the storm outfalls and natural creeks to really stir up the the river. Keep in mind that Edm. is a large city so you really have all sorts of pollutants getting washed into the river. That said, after a few calm days the NSR can be very clear and fun to fish. Lots of species you might catch, and some monster pike and wallies.
I really get a kick out of some of these posters with a laundry list of all the terrible, horrible stuff they see with their own eyes. Good thing fisherman are allowed to "embellish" their stories. Only thing missing in some of these stories are all the dead human bodies washing out to sea.

You don't think it true what gets washed in there?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
You don't think it true what gets washed in there?

Didn't say that at all. I'm sure a lot of junk ends up in the NSR, stuff you can see, and stuff you can't. (the stuff you can't see is probably much more toxic) Just like the Bow in Calgary, or any other river that flows through a major city anywhere.
What I take exception to is some of these fear mongering stories about all the stuff that some people claim to have seen all at once and at the same time, and esp. if they purport this is a regular occurance. I call.... no wait, I mean I think they have exagerated to make a point.
I still wouldn't eat anything out of the NSR, however.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Didn't say that at all. I'm sure a lot of junk ends up in the NSR, stuff you can see, and stuff you can't. (the stuff you can't see is probably much more toxic) Just like the Bow in Calgary, or any other river that flows through a major city anywhere.
What I take exception to is some of these fear mongering stories about all the stuff that some people claim to have seen all at once and at the same time, and esp. if they purport this is a regular occurance. I call.... no wait, I mean I think they have exagerated to make a point.
I still wouldn't eat anything out of the NSR, however.

Yes there is lots of fear mongering! But to be fare this was last year when it was real dry, and was the first big thunderstorm of the summer. So I think there was more stuff washed into the river then normal. But all in all on a nice day the water lols nice!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Its a great river to fish,bait or otherwise. You never know what your going to get next hook up. And if you like it can be done on the cheap nothing fancy needed.

I bump into a guy down there occasionally who claims he eats fish outa there often. He doesnt seem to glow
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM

It's definitely not the Ganges level of filth, but it's no pristine mountain creek either.

i'd eat them upstream of Devon, but not much further downstream of that. It's still fun to be able to fish 5 minutes from my house whenever I feel like it though.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Oh great LOL
Yeah maybe I will stay away from eating any fish out of there unless I'm on the river well outside of the city.

Quote:

Old 07-08-2016, 03:31 PM

great thank you for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Almost every stocked trout pond in Alberta has lots of shore-fishing opportunities. In Edmonton there is the pond in Hermitage Park, in Beaumont there is 4-seasons park, Leduc has a pond, Vegreville has a pond, lots of others west of the city and north of the city. Hasse Lake, Morinville (2 there I think), etc.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Default Shore fishing near edmonton

We were fishing the NSR the other day, and a condom came floating by. No lie!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
We were fishing the NSR the other day, and a condom came floating by. No lie!
Ill try to be more discreet next time. Apologies.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 AM

There is lots of places to fish from shore at the north end of coal lake. Not sure how bad it is for weeds/algea at the moment though as i havent been there for a month or so.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-von View Post
There is lots of places to fish from shore at the north end of coal lake. Not sure how bad it is for weeds/algea at the moment though as i havent been there for a month or so.

Was there Friday and was really weedy! Might be able to go along the east side and find a spot

Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 PM

We will be heading back out to east pit this weekend, lots of fish to be caught there! But it's a bit of a walk ( Don take a ton of stuff) Leduc is a though one, not many places that are clear enough of the reeds and willows, but people pull a lot out of the res! Beaumont is decent. No one seems to catch a lot there, but the fish at least jump around. Jim neilson trout pond in Devon is a complete waste of time. So many silver minnows they have zero interest In The bait or lures we put out.