Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Just a thought but maybe SRD should consider stocking predator species in some of these reservoirs to help control the carp population and have a 0 possession limit on all species except carp. They used to stock a few places with pike years ago.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Banned

Chill out, I never mentioned snake heads. ...ESRD has known about this problem for a loooong time, just never bothered to inform people about it.

Now, if you don't know how to cook actual fish(not talking filets) than maybe learn how to and enjoy your Alberta carp, since you so strongly believe it is all there ever will be.

You could educate yourself on Alberta fisheries and realize that this province had it wrong with fish stocking and management since it was implemented.

Have a good day!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM

no i have not checked out weed lake, i will do some research on that and see.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Straight these fish are here to stay, and adding another invasive species like the snakehead to control the carp??? WOW!!!

[/B]
Hey Fishslayer99,
I didn't suggest to intoduce a snakehead to control prussian carp, I just mentioned it as it's natural and effective predator.

BTW, I grew up fishing on Chu river in Kyrgyzstan. That river reminds me Bow river - it strarts in mountains and ends in plains. And the are trout and prussian carp (karass) and some other carps live in that river, but they don't compete for food and oxigen. Trout populates upper waters, and carp lives down stream. So you'll never see their areals overlapped. But carp could be good source of food for local predators, like pikes and walleye, otters, eagles and so on. Honestly, I don see any big problem at all. Especially considering that fact that trout in most waters here in Alberta was introduced by humans.

About fishing prussian carp.... it could be really challenging and fun, especially targeting big ones. I really looking forward to fishing for carp and I'll never release them, I promise

Last edited by straight; 04-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPeg1tbBt0A

Here is one of thousands of videos on the internet that show the devastation of invasive carp species. There is absolutely nothing good about Asian carp in our waters.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighton View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPeg1tbBt0A

Here is one of thousands of videos on the internet that show the devastation of invasive carp species. There is absolutely nothing good about Asian carp in our waters.
There is no asian carp in our water reported...yet. And it won't spread out that bad like down south even if gets introduced accidentally - it is too cold here.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 PM

Default Too cold?

They said it was too cold for snakeheads years ago too. Guess what? They have moved north now down east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
There is no asian carp in our water reported...yet. And it won't spread out that bad like down south even if gets introduced accidentally - it is too cold here.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Banned

Silvers are filter feeders and much larger, Prussian carp is omnivorous and does not grow as large, they don't dig up bottom sediment like common carp.Biggest danger is competition for spawning structure with other non predatory species.

Depleting lakes of oxygen? That's science fiction, not a fact.

This is like comparing tiny lemon sharks to a great white.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Fact or Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Silvers are filter feeders and much larger, Prussian carp is omnivorous and does not grow as large, they don't dig up bottom sediment like common carp.Biggest danger is competition for spawning structure with other non predatory species.

Depleting lakes of oxygen? That's science fiction, not a fact.

This is like comparing tiny lemon sharks to a great white.
Jepril,

I understand you did not mention snakeheads, I was referring to someone else's comment, and apparently I misinterpreted it.

I'm not going to get in a P***ing match with you, regardless of what anyone believes these fish do not belong here and will have an impact on our fisheries. To what extent is anyone's guess, I am not a biologist and correct me if im wrong but neither are you.

I witnessed these fish stirring up the mud at the bottom of the lake digging for something, that's why they were going crazy in the shallows. Fact or fiction who is right who is wrong, I don't know? what I do know is experts and biologists who know a lot more than myself are quoted below.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion you have yours and I have mine...my apologies if I offended you or anyone else. Speaking about these fish makes me a bit angry.

Quotes
*"They have no natural predators in Alberta and will out-compete native species for resources."
*"Fish introduced from outside of Canada can cause significant damage to local fish populations."
*"Prussian carp are voracious plant eaters and their waste depletes the oxygen supply in a waterway. Invasive species often thrive in new environments where natural control mechanisms are unable to regulate their numbers. Native species often suffer as a result of depleted resources".

“In the Rosebud River, further north from us, the Prussian carp have taken over the system,” said Meagher. “They’re very small, they stunt, they stay very small and they’re very good feeders and they have a different lifestyle than the native fish.”
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Carp problem

How about getting permision to use throw nets to capture the carp like they do in the ocean for small fish.
Bjay
Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Do the pike eat them?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
How about getting permision to use throw nets to capture the carp like they do in the ocean for small fish.
Bjay
GREAT IDEA Bjay!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM

True story... My house backs onto a man-made storm drain lake, and there used to be goldfish in the lake for several years. One year, I was looking out the window eating lunch, and an osprey was circling the lake. To my surprise it dove and caught a 10 inch, bright orange, goldfish! Took off to it's nest. He was back everyday, and my ex-neighbour actually had a telephoto lens on his DSLR and had photos of the goldfish in its talons. Unfortunately I don't have a photo. So I mean it's not significant, but some creatures prey on the carp.
The next year I was walking the shoreline and came across a 13" goldfish dead on shore.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Local golf course here had a pond full of carp, unless they poisoned them before the last big flood, they all ended up in the SSR.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-20-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Just a thought

but when the water was "boiling" with Prussian carp here last year it was in the cat tails around Weed Lake because they were spawning not digging in the mud.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM

hmm...The Carp recipies look pretty good! Smoked, Baked, Fried.. NOM NOM NOM!

Are there any places that have a Carp population in the Edmonton Area?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Catching the carp is fun and I know somebody on this forum who caught one last summer and cooked it on a bed of rice and said it was good. I haven't personally tried it but have caught hundreds and I might try it one day.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:14 AM

K guys im with Jeprly on this on and gunna back him because I've personally eaten the Prussian carp and it's not a uneducated opinion like has been said on this thread about other species of carp lol you no who you are give your head a shake and deal with some personal facts with education they are awsome to eat.very firm deep white meat and fillet out easily like a perch with the rib bones......................
I'm fully against the introduction of this invasive species that lay tens of thousands of eggs three times a year because it gunna upset our system of native or earliest introduced species you be the judge.but all i no is at the end of the day now matter what anybody's opinion is nothing good can come from a species that takes over on this magnitude on this rate of speed with adaptation to be able to hybrnate in the winter months its a catistrofic nightmare. And yes our predators will adapt to prey on very high levels on this invasive species. But one thing that does not get talked about much on the few threads on the AO is who introduced and why.in my opinion it is very clear who these people are and why because ther main diet consists of fish and given the status of southern alberta it's getting very difficult to harvest any fish species and it's all about selfish acts for personal gain and you **** heads no exactly who you are and I will keep nailing your arse to the wall with poaching of our walley here in southern AB to asrd and your night fishing crap as well because I will not deal with this take take crap.
Before anybody tries to nail me down on my personal opinions you better have you ducks in a row because ive acused nobody of anything but we all no the game bein played here and the people playin er.im gunnin for makin alberta a better place with future generations involve and it aint the garbage tryin to change our fisheries for personal gain.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 AM

Is it safe to say that these carp are to widely distributed and are here to stay and it's only a matter of time before they distribute even further until they are in every watershed system? Frikken sad man.... Fishing is about to change as we know it over the next 10 to 20 years. At least that's the way I see it. Someone tell me I'm wrong please.....
Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 AM

You tell 'em coulee. I'm catching your drift bud
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Is it safe to say that these carp are to widely distributed and are here to stay and it's only a matter of time before they distribute even further until they are in every watershed system? Frikken sad man.... Fishing is about to change as we know it over the next 10 to 20 years. At least that's the way I see it. Someone tell me I'm wrong please.....
your fishing was dramatical changed many decades ago, when they introduced the walleye.....
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
your fishing was dramatical changed many decades ago, when they introduced the walleye.....
The lakes and rivers I fish have had walleye for thousands of years.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
This carp tastes great!

Do not confuse it with stinky over the counter carp that they sell at superstore. Those fish look sick in my opinion.

It is wrong to brand them as bottom feeders, these fish feed in entire water column.

From what I noticed, Alberta predatory fish are gobbling down as much as they can, Prussian carp are poor swimmers...pike and trout seem to be fully aware of this easy meal.
This is how I see it too.

More food in the chain for predatory fish and we will see an increase the predatory population. We will start to see some larger pike and trout.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
This is how I see it too.

More food in the chain for predatory fish and we will see an increase the predatory population. We will start to see some larger pike and trout.
Might see some larger fish but will likely see a decline in population.
Doesnt always work that way. A strong invasive species can choke out/displace the pike and trout as well as other species. There will be competition for food, as well as egg predation and I would bet they will feed on the young of the predators as well.
A water body can only support so much biomass. If the carp become even 30% of that biomass they have displaced 30% of the other species. Kind of easy way to put it but I think helps see the impact. Just used 30% as an example(probably will be much higher).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-21-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
The lakes and rivers I fish have had walleye for thousands of years.

really????? not in Alberta......walleye is not a native fish for this province....
Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
really????? not in Alberta......walleye is not a native fish for this province....
Your not serious... Lol ( I hope your not)
Old 04-21-2015, 10:17 AM

Could this be a potential boon for lakes mainly inhabited by predatory fish such as walleye and pike? Are these carp really any more of a threat to these lakes than perch? They certainly look like they'd be a tasty morsel and I don't see any spines or anything that'd prevent them being eaten. No doubt its not good for trout where there would be direct competition for invertebrates
Old 04-21-2015, 10:17 AM

Nope...there's no walleye in the lakes up North....the birds carried them from southern reservoirs
Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Fiona D. Johnston, Andrew J. Paul
Summary:
Walleye (Sander vitreus) are native to Alberta occurring in large rivers and lakes throughout the province. However, overexploitation has resulted in the decline of many populations. Furthermore, walleye abundance in the province is limited by availability of large lakes that provide suitable walleye habitat and because Alberta falls near the northern limits of the species’ range. To address declining walleye populations and further extend their distribution, walleye have been stocked into 118 different waterbodies in the province. This report examines effects stocking may have on genetic diversity of walleye in Alberta.

Another source
2.2 NATIVE DISTRIBUTION IN CANADA
In Canada, walleye occurs from Quebec up to and including the Peace and Liard
River systems in north-eastern B.C. Its northerly limits follow the boundaries of
northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba, along the southern shores of Hudson Bay
and James Bay eastward into Labrador. It occurs in the Mackenzie River
drainage to the mouth of the river.

I can always be wrong, but alot of information states you are.

Save time... see it my way
Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.1 KB, 52 views)

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8