Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Default Need a New Depth Finder / Sonar for Boat

I am looking at purchasing a new unit for my boat. The unit is going to replace my bow mount unit that I have there aready. Any suggestions on a good one. Would like to purchase a Hummingbird or Eagle. Have one of each right now and like both of them. Has been a while since I have bought one and I know the technology has changed. Probably want to keep it in the
$200 range. Times are tough, so splurging is out of the question.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM

If times are tough and assuming that both units you have are functional, don't bother buying a new one. For $200, you're not going to get a whole lot of added functionality over your existing units (unless they are extremely old and simplistic). Better off saving the money for a rainy day or until you can move up to a higher end unit, then you'll start to see a big difference.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 PM

I would agree. If they work fine, I would spend the cash on new gear. I have owned a boat for a few years now and must admit I was wrapped around the axle over which electronics to run etc. etc. I have owned Hbird, Garmin, Lowrance and Eagle, and found that they all basically do the same thing......within a specific price range.

Now, if you want to talk upgrades IE: GPS capable etc. then we are talking some serious capabilities and unfortunatley $$$$$$$.

For me, I just realized that for how and where I fish, I just need an accurate depth, a good view of the structure and a unit with the ability to display the "raw" sonar return IE: arches. Other than that, the rods, line and tackle is where I would spend the cash.

I run a Lowrance x135 now, but if I was to change it......I would go back to Garmin. Nice units and really simple to use.

Good luck