Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM

Default ohv ban

Use of all off-highway vehicles restricted on public lands in Northern Alberta.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...fety/ohv-bans/

Pray for some rain guys.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Cue the crying in 3..2..1...

Makes sense.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 PM

not much you can do but hey look at the bright side walking is good and you save on gas .
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 PM

darn...I guess I'll just have to walk in when I'm practicing my flaming arrow shooting on Saturday.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Wow, infringing on the God given right to blast around on your OHV just to keep a few hundred thousand hectares from burning....seems pretty heavy handed. Who do I bitch and moan to about this communist conspiracy!?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-26-2018, 07:38 AM

Well it is sorta hurtful to me. Our shop fixes that which the weekend warriors break. If they’re not breaking the quads then we are not fixing them. Lol. It is a small percentage, but none the less lost revenue. Flip side is, people out riding their big bikes and breaking them. Lol. I’m still headed north next Saturday to chase bears. Ill just walk a bit more and bea bit more careful were I shoot my bear. I have four days off. Im not wasting them.
Tullfan
Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 AM

That link shows parks only. Is there a map that better shows all areas that are closed to OHV use, or a phone number that works other than during Monday to Friday 8:00 to 4:30? Was planning on going out and want to know for sure.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Try this:

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...69186879096211

Stay outta the bush, is the bottom line.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-26-2018, 10:10 AM

Thanks Dick 284 for the info. I also found this map https://albertafirebans.ca/ Now does anyone know of a map that shows better the division of forestry areas?
Old 05-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Well it is sorta hurtful to me. Our shop fixes that which the weekend warriors break. If they’re not breaking the quads then we are not fixing them. Lol. It is a small percentage, but none the less lost revenue. Flip side is, people out riding their big bikes and breaking them. Lol. I’m still headed north next Saturday to chase bears. Ill just walk a bit more and bea bit more careful were I shoot my bear. I have four days off. Im not wasting them.
Tullfan
Look on the bright side tullfan...if one of them burns down the forest today, there's nowhere for them to ride in the future and then they're not out breaking them.
But then, I've always been 'the glass is half full' kinda guy
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
That link shows parks only. Is there a map that better shows all areas that are closed to OHV use, or a phone number that works other than during Monday to Friday 8:00 to 4:30? Was planning on going out and want to know for sure.

You are willing to risk a devastating wildfire, the likes of which has already been seen enough times in this province the last few summers, because you can't park your toys for a weekend or two?

Can't blame the NDP on this one folks.
Mother Nature can at times be a cruel mistress.

Leave your toys at home and go take a walk and enjoy the areas you go ripping through ,
while you can,
before the Darwin Award winners decide they know better and ignore that and start a fire.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
You are willing to risk a devastating wildfire, the likes of which has already been seen enough times in this province the last few summers, because you can't park your toys for a weekend or two?

Leave your toys at home and go take a walk and enjoy the areas you go ripping through ,
while you can,
before the Darwin Award winners decide they know better and ignore that and start a fire.
X2
Old 05-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

I don’t see one post where anyone is blaming the dippers. In fact this may be one of the few things they are doing right.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with fires. As long as property and lives are not at risk. The forests do need some cleaning up about every century. Hopefully everyone is safe.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:51 PM

All my friends who ride atv would gladly respect this ban, they stop long before being forced too as they know the conditions are not good out there.

I think most Atver's do the same. Sucky for the guys still chasing bears.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

while you can,
I am not planning on going to a closed area, and I am also not complaining that they closed an area I was planning on going.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think what government in force has anything to do with these decisions. I believe they have Fire Control people that are the same people regardless. The NDP give us no shortage of things to complain about but I would not want to give them credit for this one.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think what government in force has anything to do with these decisions. I believe they have Fire Control people that are the same people regardless. The NDP give us no shortage of things to complain about but I would not want to give them credit for this one.
X2
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 PM

What’s the big deal? We’ve never had a fire around here before...
Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Look on the bright side tullfan...if one of them burns down the forest today, there's nowhere for them to ride in the future and then they're not out breaking them.
But then, I've always been 'the glass is half full' kinda guy
Lol, that is true. And absoloutly spot on. I’d gladly risk the lost revenue for a future with trees and critters to enjoy. Point taken my friend.
Tullfan