Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Trailer Brake Controllers

I thought I'd reach out for the collective experience on here regarding trailer brake controls due to my needing one soon. My pending vehicle unfortunately does not have one available as a factory option so I thought I'd seek out any potential pitfalls to avoid with the aftermarket units, if any.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:33 AM

I've got the Tekonsha P2 controller, worked fine for a travel trailer. Do some looking and you probably can get harness that will plug directly into you're make of truck.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:43 AM

Make sure you can easily access it if you need to adjust your brakes or to apply going down a sharp incline. I had one installed by a dealer down too low I couldn't reach it.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Make sure you can easily access it if you need to adjust your brakes or to apply going down a sharp incline. I had one installed by a dealer down too low I couldn't reach it.
Nice to be able to reach it also in the case of a death wobble, usually after passing a semi or bus going the same way. It would certainly take some skill and a high state of readiness to hit the trailer brakes and gun the tow vehicle like you're supposed to when your rig is bucking like a bronc.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Nice to be able to reach it also in the case of a death wobble, usually after passing a semi or bus going the same way. It would certainly take some skill and a high state of readiness to hit the trailer brakes and gun the tow vehicle like you're supposed to when your rig is bucking like a bronc.

I was unaware of this technique, but I can understand the physics and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing, I hope I have the presence of mind to remember it. Maybe I'll practice it when clear of other traffic on the open road

I'm going to experiment a lot of mock positions for it prior to putting any permanent fasteners into the buggy.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Keep it away from you knee. I had one installed and they put it right in front of my knee. My knee was constantly hitting it so I moved it over a bit.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Most semis have the trailer brake control right up on the steering wheel where it is easy to get at and use. You can brake the trailer using the vehicle brake pedal or brake it separately using the hand controller and use only the trailer brakes to slow down. Very handy in steep downhills or windy conditions for controlling trailer wag.

You want to be able to reach the manual control easily with your right hand plus easily see how much brake you are applying. These used to be commonly available but I haven't bought a controller for a 4 wheeler in a long time so not sure who is making this type now.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Though I have heard of this technique, I have never been in that situation yet. Good to remind us old folk...LOL

I have always let off the gas and let it slow enough to regain control. I am sure if I was in a big enough cross wind, this may not work next time.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Not sure if such an aftermarket controlled exists with a anti sway stability control feature but my F-150 has this built in and it works quickly to correct the dangerous situation. No need to scramble manually find and press a brake button while you are fighting the steering wheel with the other hand. The controller, immediately upon sensing a sway, applies the brakes to the trailer and a "warning" appears on your dashboard display.

I had this happen a few times - passing a slower vehicle like semi, or having to make a pass at speeds a little higher than normal after the pass the boat starts to sway and it seems to get more violent if you do apply brakes (which is most people's natural reaction). I know enough to let off and regain control but I can imagine how this bad situation can become worse for those who don't know.

This can be a very unsettling experience if you are not used to it - but with this feature activated the controller automatically applies the brakes to the trailer and brings your load back into line quickly and efficiently.

If you can find one that does this for you, and it's a bit more expensive - I would suggest you get it. An amazing, quickly acting, highly effective feature and it could save your life.

Last edited by EZM; 05-27-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Just have a cheapsh1t reese controller from can tire. Has worked great for me, but I also have a half ton with a long box, ain't no tail wagging this dog.

Jason
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Not sure if such an aftermarket controlled exists with a anti sway stability control feature but my F-150 has this built in and it works quickly to correct the dangerous situation. No need to scramble manually find and press a brake button while you are fighting the steering wheel with the other hand. The controller, immediately upon sensing a sway, applies the brakes to the trailer and a "warning" appears on your dashboard display.

I had this happen a few times - passing a slower vehicle like semi, or having to make a pass at speeds a little higher than normal after the pass the boat starts to sway and it seems to get more violent if you do apply brakes (which is most people's natural reaction). I know enough to let off and regain control but I can imagine how this bad situation can become worse for those who don't know.

This can be a very unsettling experience if you are not used to it - but with this feature activated the controller automatically applies the brakes to the trailer and brings your load back into line quickly and efficiently.

If you can find one that does this for you, and it's a bit more expensive - I would suggest you get it. An amazing, quickly acting, highly effective feature and it could save your life.
I tow a 29’ holiday trailer with a 2015 F350 Lariat. Never had a sway issue as it’s only 6000 or so pounds loaded. You’ve got me thinking to actually read my manual though to see if this feature is built in!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 PM

I have a couple old draw tite I believe, but now on my 03 gmc went with a plug and play prodigy 2, I liked having a newer truck that I didn't have to wire again.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Brake Contollers

I use a Prodigy P2 with two sway bars set up for sway control.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I thought I'd reach out for the collective experience on here regarding trailer brake controls due to my needing one soon. My pending vehicle unfortunately does not have one available as a factory option so I thought I'd seek out any potential pitfalls to avoid with the aftermarket units, if any.
Check under the dash, the wiring might be factory installed, some are, some aren't , apparently.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was unaware of this technique, but I can understand the physics and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing, I hope I have the presence of mind to remember it. Maybe I'll practice it when clear of other traffic on the open road

I'm going to experiment a lot of mock positions for it prior to putting any permanent fasteners into the buggy.

I have a friend that used Velcro and kept his wires a bit loose so he could move it out of the way when he wasn't towing. Works pretty good for him and keeps a clean look in the cab.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 PM

I installed a controller on my half ton about a month ago. I went with the proportional controller vs the timed controller. And was able to get the wiring harness for my vehicle. Techonsha was the brand I chose. Costco does carry one of their models.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
I've got the Tekonsha P2 controller, worked fine for a travel trailer. Do some looking and you probably can get harness that will plug directly into you're make of truck.
This is what I ordered on line for my Tacoma (including the special wire harness). Just plug it in and mount it where you like it. Super easy to install. It worked just fine for me for the time I had my Toyota. Now my truck has a factory one
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 AM

in my last truck ('99 2500 V10 Ram) I installed a Prodigy. All my research at the time pointed to it as the best value and performer of the units on the market. RV dealer installed it and gave me the 411 when I picked up the trailer (32' 5'ver). Never had an issue with it, the truck was perfectly matched to the trailer (even the colors!), I don't remember ever having to manually use the trailer brakes. The gain was set and away we drove.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 AM

Tekonsha P3 and order a wiring harness. Great unit easy to install and harness is plug and play. Had mine for several years and would buy another if I had to. Not sure on pricing today but I got mine for way less out of the U.S. even with exch etc.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Keep it away from you knee. I had one installed and they put it right in front of my knee. My knee was constantly hitting it so I moved it over a bit.
This.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-28-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I have always let off the gas and let it slow enough to regain control. I am sure if I was in a big enough cross wind, this may not work next time.

yeah this is the complete opposite of what you are supposed to do. Short version, your trailer is getting sucked (or pushed) ahead (or to the side) by the wind and/or passing vehicle. kind of like your trailer is travelling "faster" than your truck. By slamming on your truck brakes, you just made it much worst. Have to slam on trailer brakes only and/or accelerate.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
yeah this is the complete opposite of what you are supposed to do. Short version, your trailer is getting sucked (or pushed) ahead (or to the side) by the wind and/or passing vehicle. kind of like your trailer is travelling "faster" than your truck. By slamming on your truck brakes, you just made it much worst. Have to slam on trailer brakes only and/or accelerate.
I did not say that I slam on the brakes but slowly apply pressure on the brakes and works every time....
Old 05-28-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I did not say that I slam on the brakes but slowly apply pressure on the brakes and works every time....
Sorry, bad terminology..
By "APPLYING" the truck brakes..

You've just been lucky.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry, bad terminology..
By "APPLYING" the truck brakes..

You've just been lucky.
25 years of pulling a trailer? I guess luck is in the cards
Old 05-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a drunk driver.. "Been doing it for 25 years, why would I stop??"

I guess hundreds of thousands of manhours that experts at reese/ford/gm/Every OEM/hitch manufacturer in the world have spent studying the dynamics of trailer sway must be wrong, because one guy drove for 25 years w/o a sway induced trailer accident.

Learn something everyday..
Old 05-28-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
sorry but u are wrong. 25 years dong it your way is definitely extraordinary luck. When a trailer starts swaying u do want to slow down. But never touch the truck brakes to do it. You want the trailer to slow first. Get a proper controller and try some load leveller bars. Thet help with sway too.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:27 PM

pm you
Old 05-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Yes he is right most sway problems arise from hitch issues. Any ball hitch is only good to 5000 lbs to go above that they need equalizer bars to get that 10,000 lb rating. I have tryed without bars on 8000 lb trailer and if you get in those right hand lane truck groves all crap brakes loose. I see people towing without them but over 5000 it’s manitory by DOT. Without them you only have class 3 hitch. But back to original question I use Tecnosha never had a problem and like the quick set up.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
sorry but u are wrong. 25 years dong it your way is definitely extraordinary luck. When a trailer starts swaying u do want to slow down. But never touch the truck brakes to do it. You want the trailer to slow first. Get a proper controller and try some load leveller bars. Thet help with sway too.
Maybe that is why I have not had swaying issues...LOL

Proper controller, load bars and a hell of alot of experience....
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a drunk driver.. "Been doing it for 25 years, why would I stop??"

I guess hundreds of thousands of manhours that experts at reese/ford/gm/Every OEM/hitch manufacturer in the world have spent studying the dynamics of trailer sway must be wrong, because one guy drove for 25 years w/o a sway induced trailer accident.

Learn something everyday..
Oh for pete's sake....All you know it all's on this board gets exhausting.....

Especially the same members go on and on....

Nice to equate me to a drunk driver....

If it is on the internet, must be true