Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Default New pontoon system for quad's

A good friend of mine has developed a product for your quad that allows you to cross rivers and lakes. He has a video on youtube and his company name is water traxx.ca I believe this is ok to post on here so please have a look and see if it is something that you might need for your quad.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 AM

When I search this nothing comes up except a footwear company. Might want to put the actual link up.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Banned

It’s water traxx inc.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 AM

https://watertraxxinc.com/
Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Thanks Kurt. that worked. Kind of an interesting idea but there seems to be a lot of stuff required to carry and then install. Might be okay if you used them around water more than 50% of the time but to pack all that gear for occasional use doesn't seem like a great idea. Also wonder what it is like when the waves are up. Almost seems like a small zodiac would be easier to carry and set up. Wonder what the demand for these will be like.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Banned

It’s definitley “cool” but unfortunately impractical. In theory it’s great, it allows you to cross water bodies with your quad, but looks like it’ll take over an hour to set up, then another hour+ to take down, which if you’re going on a long journey is fine, but you won’t be packing enough gear to go on more than a day trip if you have to pack the pontoons and the motor.

There might be some people who would have a practical use for them, but it might be cheaper and more practical to buy an Argo, could be a tough sell for your buddy.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Thanks Kurt. that worked. Kind of an interesting idea but there seems to be a lot of stuff required to carry and then install. Might be okay if you used them around water more than 50% of the time but to pack all that gear for occasional use doesn't seem like a great idea. Also wonder what it is like when the waves are up. Almost seems like a small zodiac would be easier to carry and set up. Wonder what the demand for these will be like.
You beat me to it.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 AM

I was interested till I saw all the stuff you need to do

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Question this could be trouble

For recreational purposes, how do you reconcile the use of this product with current laws? From the Alberta.ca website:
Quote:
It's the Law

Ride on approved trails only
Keep wheels out of streams, rivers, and lakes
Wheeled or tracked vehicles are not allowed on beds or shores of watercourses, wetlands or waterbodies
Driving in these areas produces harmful ruts and erosion problems. In addition, fine sediments stirred up by tires are harmful to fish.
I can see a bunch of YaHoos causing all kinds of grief for the rest of us...kinda like what has happened already.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 AM

1. @:47sec, how was that bottom mount set up? Just shows it suddenly set up.

2. @:24 sec paused, iam I to assume (the above mentioned) bottom mount, the Boat motor/it's fuel tank,
the air pump & the Pontoon's are all supposed to be fixed onto rear rack somehow under that tarp canvas thing?

3. Do I also need to pack a life vest when crossing a body of water?
(ie Fish & Game issues)

Lots & lots to pack for sure this outfit..

Last edited by tri777; 06-26-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
3. Do I also need to pack a life vest when crossing a body of water? (ie Fish & Game issues)
Yes.

Quote:
You are required by law to have a lifejacket or PFD (Personal Flotation Device) on board for each person on a watercraft . This includes human-powered craft.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/mar...n-devices.html
Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM

I'd be more worried about the bearings/oil/etc exposed to water at "speed" or for extended periods.

Obviously people would raise the vents, but those seals aren't intended for pressurized water exposure
Old 06-26-2019, 01:48 PM

a couple of little quad in only lakes I go to in the summer I strap a 12' jon boat to the roof of my side by side and put the motor in the box for transport. I can load and unload by myself with ease and takes maybe 5 min....

cool idea for sure but defiantly not a game changer
Old 06-26-2019, 02:37 PM

It's the Law

Wheeled or tracked vehicles are not allowed on beds or shores of watercourses, wetlands or waterbodies
Driving in these areas produces harmful ruts and erosion problems. In addition, fine sediments stirred up by tires are harmful to fish.

Does this apply to Argos as well? If so it kinda renders the Argo a much less viable machine for those who want a one machine does it all solution.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It's the Law

Does this apply to Argos as well? If so it kinda renders the Argo a much less viable machine for those who want a one machine does it all solution.
I was just thinking the same thing. I've heard that F&W have been cracking down on people driving through creeks. When I started the video I was hoping that it would have some type of solid base to keep the whole thing out of the water.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. I've heard that F&W have been cracking down on people driving through creeks. When I started the video I was hoping that it would have some type of solid base to keep the whole thing out of the water.
https://www.facebook.com/thecrowsnes...76622149139412
Old 06-26-2019, 05:28 PM

No offence to your friend. I just can't see this taking off. Multitude of issues I see here. Good luck to him though.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Quad Toons probably be a more catchy name.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Quad Toons probably be a more catchy name.
Quantoons
Old 06-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Quantoons
Poon thangs...
Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 AM

Default Thanks for the feed back.

Quad toons, love it.
I will be sure to pass on the comments and hopefully get the owner to get on here to maybe answer some of the concerns. However thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Default ATV Pontoon system,

Hello gentlemen, my name is Darrell Grove the creator and founder of the Water Traxx Inc. pontoon system. A good friend of mine allowed me to access this forum to respond. I will try and address all the comments in one general reply. Feel free to ask all the questions you like. First of all the installation is really quite simple, it only takes 20-30 minutes to completely install including inflating the pontoons. Anyone with even limited mechanical abilities can do it. My wife is far from mechanical and she can do it in under 30 minutes. It is all pinned together with stainless lock pins, each piece is interchangeable on both sides. The main sub frame is also in two pieces for a more compact design to store and carry. The entire system in the carrying bag weighs approximately 145 lbs. The bag is a little large to pick up so it is easier to pack the bag with the parts after the bag is on your quad. My 10 year old son can pack the entire system on the quad in 10 minutes as there is no need to lift the entire loaded bag. As for the legalities of the system, make no mistake about it I have done all the research! I am fully aware of the Alberta Regs. I approached the Minister of Transport directly before even starting this project. I have been given approval directly from Transport Canada to allow this system to be used in Canada. When on land you follow ATV rules and when on water to follow boating rules. It is classified as a temporary add on to cross bodies of water without damaging subsurface structure. It is no different than driving an Argo onto a body of water. If done so with respect to the environment it is no different than launching a boat via a boat trailer in a remote location. Like anything else it's not the system that does the damage it's the select few people that abuse the system that do the damage. I am a full life long outdoorsman. My entire family is involved in hunting, fishing, wildlife photography, environmental protection and conservation. I do not take this topic lightly. It is up to the owners of the ATV to ensure they are in good working condition, no different than running your ATV's through mud holes on every trail in Canada or the US. If your ATV is not properly taken care of, even on land in does more harm. I have spent many years designing this system to be very tough, user friendly, safe to operate and last many years if taken care of properly. It is an engineered stamped frame system, pontoons are engineered to handle the maximum weight of the largest quad, persons and gear. It is a load bearing apparatus and completely legal in Canada and the US. Hopefully this answers and addresses most of the comments I've see on here. I will gladly speak to anyone and answer any further questions you may have. I can be reached at 1 780 777-2015 or toll free at 1 877 777-3307.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Default ATV Pontoon System

The actual website is www.watertraxxinc.com also we are getting close to ordering the first 100 sets due to a great public response. If you are interested in getting the $200 off and the free outboard motor kicker ($170 dollar value) give me a shout!!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:15 AM

A guy once tried a similar system up in Fort McMurray years back called A-quad floats I believe. He used plastic pontoon floats that would fold up overhead when not setup for water.
I seen them in action and they looked cool and I liked the idea. Not sure if it was his advertising or just the general purpose of it but they never caught on. He was in trade shows and everything with great videos of it in action too.
I think it is a tough sale in comparison to an Argo. I have quads, sxs and an Argo and they each have their purpose. Pretty hard to beat the load an Argo can carry while they float across a pond. I'd be a bit nervous to have a quartered up moose on a Quad or SXS with this setup, an Argo no problem.
I love seeing these ideas though, I'm all for interesting inventions for the outdoors!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Sparx,
I have seen a few different versions over the years, a guiding outfit had a similar set up in the states back in 2008 but it didn't take off either, hard to pack the bigger bulky pontoons so I went with the inflatable system. When I did the initial water testing I challenged 5 of my buddies to get onto my quad in the water and try and flip it, (Outlander MXR 1000) No matter how hard they tried they couldn't flip it, it was actually quite comical!! There is absolutely no stability issues at all. When I applied for approval from Transport Canada one of their requirements was to do a stability test. I had to load the front rack, back rack, left and right footwells (Independantly) with as much weight as I could to get the pontoons submerged level with the water surface. I couldn't get enough weight on the Quad to even accomplish this. (Not enough room to stack the weights) and I didn't want to damage my Quad racks lol. It's rated for 1650lbs safe working but capable of more. The whole system was designed to be user friendly, compact, (no piece is longer than 36" and no wider than 21") The pontoons have 3 chambers and separate valves etc. Installing it and taking it off every 20 minutes was not the idea but getting to that remote lake and spending the day there fishing was the goal. Dropping that prize animal in water would be a breeze to recover, not to load it on the water but to tie a rope onto it, get back to shore, and then use your Quad to pull it out was more what I was thinking. I too have owned two Argos, both fully loaded Conquests. Virtually unstoppable with tracks and proper maintenance but unfortunately not great in deep water especially if the wind picks up! Although all machines have their great qualities, sadly not one can do everything haha!! Thanks for the feedback!! I will be showing the system at the Grande Prairie hunting show in October as well!!

Thanks,
Darrell Grove
Water Traxx Inc.
www.watertraxxinc.com
Old 02-17-2024, 09:04 PM

Default I want watertraxx

I have been looking for years for a way to fabricate or purchase a way to float an atv. This is the closest I have gotten to finding a solution. I can't find any other information about this contraption. If I could get a link that works that would be greatly appreciated. Also a price would be great. I know people who are interested. I want 2 sets for my wife and I also I have 2 coworkers now interested possibly a set for my dad and brothers atvs. These should be in Cabelas.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:16 PM

Nothing active online for over 4 years.
Going to guess they never caught on and the inevitable happened.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:27 AM

My Vinson 500 Suzuki quad is excellent for crossing rivers. When water gets deep enough it starts to float down stream in faster water. Once it drowned in river and almost drowned me, No thanks for rivers.

Tags
boat, fishing accessories, hunting, outdoors, quadding