Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Bringing firearms accessories to canada from the states?

Hey guys, i have yet another question for ya. What are the laws/rules for bringing firearms accessories from the U.S. to canada? Im thinking of getting some tapco sks 20 round mags and get them pinned to five in the states and then either ship them or bring them here myself. Any thoughts? Knowledge? Advice?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
Hey guys, i have yet another question for ya. What are the laws/rules for bringing firearms accessories from the U.S. to canada? Im thinking of getting some tapco sks 20 round mags and get them pinned to five in the states and then either ship them or bring them here myself. Any thoughts? Knowledge? Advice?
Call Clay at Profit River in Lloyd, he'll have the gitty up on all the hoops you gotta jump thru on both sides of the border.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM

thanks !
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Tapco is NOT DDTC registered so an export permit will not be approved by the DOS.
Just bringing them up by yourself even pinned could land you in a ton of grief as the US Homeland security guys can and DO conduct egress checks fairly commonly now BEFORE you leave the USA. If you are in ossession of parts with no export permit, which is something only a licensed US exporter can obtain, you could get screwed over significantly.
Is feeding a big mag in your SKS really worth loosing your ride and getting persona non gratus status worth??

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Well if i bring it back legally i should be fine. There are countless duckbill magazines for sks rifles that are legal in canada so why wouldnt a polymer one be legal if it is pinned to 5 rounds?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Well if i bring it back legally i should be fine. There are countless duckbill magazines for sks rifles that are legal in canada so why wouldnt a polymer one be legal if it is pinned to 5 rounds?
You have to satisfy the US Export regs first.

Canadian Regs only apply if you can get it into the country first.

PO Homeland Security in the US and see where that gets you.

Solothurn has given spot on advice to you, go read it.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
It is not so much a matter of whether it is plastic or pinned, the problem is in order to legally be exported the manufacturer must be DDTC registered or an export permit can not be granted by the DOS.
Also being as you are not a US State dept licensed exporter, you can not obtain an export permit.
I would wager that 90% of the pinned hi cap mags that are in Canada have not been exported from the US through legal means.
Not that many years ago the export rules were not enforced nearly as stringently as they are today.
Not that many years ago it was common for Canadians to go down to the US gun shows buy a ton of stuff that legally was supposed to have export permits, but IF the US border protection guys even bothered to check you prior to leaving they seldom cared unless it was a gun, since the airplane incident in New York however things have changed dramatically,and not for the better.

I import several million dollars worth of gun related parts and supplies yearly from the US and although not the import/export oracle, am pretty cognizant of the laws both here and in the US.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM

well thanks for crushing my dreams haha. too bad, but thanks for all the advice you guys, especially solothurn.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
well thanks for crushing my dreams haha. too bad, but thanks for all the advice you guys, especially solothurn.
My suggestion would be to check the gun shows especially the Easter show in Calgary. you will still most likely be buying an illegally imported mag, and certainly at an inflated price, but at least you won't end up on the wrong side of US Homeland Security.
I do not advocate supporting illegal imports, but as long as there are guys who will smuggle stuff into the country and they are willing to risk alot for a little........

Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 PM

you can also try daves sport shop in lynden washington. he export's to canada. davessports.com. , nice guy give him a call.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Default are they for personal use or sale?

I have never had a problem bringing any firearms related items out of the US into Canada. The only thing I could see as an issue is if you are bringing those mags into canada to sell. If its for personal use and your only bringing up an ammount that substaniates that its for personal use, I don't see there problem with it. I cross the border very frequently to visit family and have been stopped exiting the States once, and they were just checking to see if you had any tobacco or alcohol. I suppose if you look at the import/export rules every time you cross an international border you are breaking some law somewhere...
Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have never had a problem bringing any firearms related items out of the US into Canada. The only thing I could see as an issue is if you are bringing those mags into canada to sell. If its for personal use and your only bringing up an ammount that substaniates that its for personal use, I don't see there problem with it. I cross the border very frequently to visit family and have been stopped exiting the States once, and they were just checking to see if you had any tobacco or alcohol. I suppose if you look at the import/export rules every time you cross an international border you are breaking some law somewhere...
I think if you called your Dept of State they would be able to change your thinking.
Exporting of ANY ITAR item is a big deal in the eyes of Homeland Security.
I suspect that you are runnng Washington state tin on your vehicle and flashing a US passport will certainly afford you more grace from BSA but try it with Cdn tin and a passport and you will be treated quite dfferently.
Bringing ANY regulated firearms part out of the US into Canada is breaking numerous US laws regardless of whether it is for business or personal use

Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
A T F stands for alcohol,tobacco,and FIREARMS.SOLOTHURN IS 100% RIGHT.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
A T F stands for alcohol,tobacco,and FIREARMS.SOLOTHURN IS 100% RIGHT.
Actually they changed the alphabet soup a year or so ago to BATFE.
Bureau of Alcohol,Tobbaco Firearms and Explosives
I guess after Tim rattled them up in Oklahoma they needed to further expand the scope of their power to cover more bases

Tags
accessories, firearms, import