Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Default Transport Firearms Through Public Area

I just moved into an apartment and there have been a few complaints from people who have seen me taking my Non-Restricted firearms from my apartment to my truck. The guns are at all times locked and unloaded. My building manager has told me that Firearms must legally be encased to be transported. I am pretty stingy when it comes to the way i deal with all aspects of firearms safety so when i heard this i was concerned. I have only come across legislation dictating that the firearm be unloaded and locked except for ontario where it must be encased, nothing about a case in Alberta. The more concerning part of this story is the building manager told me he spoke to a police officer who lives in the building and the PO agreed with him. when i moved in a called our local PD and they said it only had to be locked. I am waiting for a call back from RCMP but who knows when that will come. Any knowledge in this area would be really really appreciated.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 PM

From the RCMP firearms website:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

Transporting Firearms Safely
Non-restricted firearms
Unload your firearms
Muzzleloaders can be kept loaded when being transported between hunting sites but the firing cap or flint must be removed.

Restricted and prohibited firearms
•Unload the firearms; and
•Attach a secure locking device to the firearms; and
•Lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container; and
•Remove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).
•Obtain an Authorization to Transport (call 1 800 731-4000).

Last edited by slam; 10-26-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM

First off, buy a case. You are begging for unwanted attention.

Download the safe storage/transport requirements and suggest landlord do the same.

Lastly, same as First, buy a case
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 PM

unloaded by law, but i would grab a rifle bag or 5 and just put them in there for the walk.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Don't flame me here but...
I do not think it would have to be locked at all or in a case. The locking applies to storage.

I do believe the rifle could even be loaded and you would not break the firearms act. Municipal laws would dictate the necessity of it being unloaded.
This of course would not be the case once you got in your truck.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

BUT... The common areas in your building are still private property, you would be bound by whatever the building owner wants until you leave the property.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM

IMHO...common sense would prevail in the form of putting the rifles in a case. Like Huntinstuff said you are collecting unwanted attention by carrying them out in the open, law or not.....just my opinion

LC
Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM

dude really? buy a soft case and problems solved.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

I think a Cello case is what is required in this instance and a lot more of the residences would feel better..
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM

I always carry my firearms in a case while walking from my apt (in an 8plex), out to he parking lot, even though I'm usually heading out before any of them are awake. I agree that you want to keep the peace here.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 PM

people don't see a small trigger lock when they see a guy carrying a gun , they just see a guy carrying a gun, $30.00 gets you a cheap plastic case at wallmart and sets other tennants at ease, even if you are right about only needing a lock it just looks better than a gun barel coming down the hallway
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM

thanks for the responses, Quick as always. To clarify my rifle is cased my shotgun is not. Same principles though. I think after this i will definitely be getting a crappy case i just wanted to make sure i wasn't breaking any legislation beforehand. I have only ever ran into people once or twice while carrying, they looked like that had seen a ghost, kept waiting for the 5-0 to show up at my door.

Thanks folks
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Great way to invite the unwanteds into your appartment!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 PM

What would run thru your mind if a guy you didn't know anything about, gets out of his vehicle in the basement of an apartment block. opens the car, slings up a rifle and starts walking in to the building?
Do ya think someone may get a tad nervous about that? Most people wouldn't know if it was locked or not, or unloaded or not. PO may not be able to see that, wrong reaction could be a problem.
Buy a case for your own safety.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM

well adding the picture of a dark basement doesn't help, wasn't the case at all. I would just assume that the accompanied eberlestock bag and obvious hunting attire would ease some worries. But casing it wouldn't hurt. again this post was more for the legislation around transportation, however your feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

Better to over achieve there.

I case up to take mine from the front door of my house to the truck.

I know it might upset some of my neighbours to see them.... especially some that come from some pretty ugly places.
There are a couple that even get edgy just seeing my uniform.... soldiers aren't the good guys where they come from.

I know I don't have to do that but... why rub it in their faces?
I'm the only guy on the street that hunts... they all know it and don't seem offended by that. In fact... some seem to find that very exotic and interesting... but others... are truly frightened by guns and uniforms.

I like my neighbours they are great folks...so I don't want them feeling threatened or uncomfortable around me and I do what I can to aleviate that.

The other thing is...a weapon kind of stands out...a case... could have anything in it and I don't want some hood getting interested in my house and my firearms because I failed to make a reasonable effort to prevent it.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 10-27-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM

I've seen websites where guys have made guitar cases into gun cases so you have no issues walking around with it. Not sure it then becomes a concealed weapon though....
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugeboy View Post
I've seen websites where guys have made guitar cases into gun cases so you have no issues walking around with it. Not sure it then becomes a concealed weapon though....
No. It doesnt
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Get a case, seriously Your just asking for trouble. What would you do if you saw a guy walking around with a shotgun? There's no way you can tell if it's loaded or not!! There's knowing you're rights and then knowing the proper time to exercise them.

Last edited by timsesink; 10-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

The Law regarding transport of non restricted:

-Unloaded.

That is all.

It does not need to be locked. It does not need to be cased.

That said, buy a cheap shotgun case.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Carry an uncased gun out to your truck on my street and you'll be surrounded by neighbours wanting to admire it and trade hunting stories

Try to get to know your neighbours better! The more non-firearm owners see that us firearm owners are just normal, friendly people like they are - the less paranoid gun laws we'll have to endure.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Its not the law, but put them in a case, there are way too many people out there that have no clue on guns and will get all freaked out and call the cops, you don't need the hassle, get a case
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Its not the law, but put them in a case, there are way too many people out there that have no clue on guns and will get all freaked out and call the cops, you don't need the hassle, get a case
Not only that, but a cae just kmakes snse when loading and un-loading guns - saves them more nicks and scratches.
Cat
Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
No. It doesnt
That's good to know.

Here is one site I found looks cool, On CGN they talk about them all the time for their AR's

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paintball-Guitar-Case/
Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 PM

There's legal and there's prudent, they are not always synonymous. Uncased may be legal, its not prudent.

As others have said why draw unecessary attention to yourself? $35 case divided by 5 years of use = $7/year.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
First off, buy a case. You are begging for unwanted attention.

Download the safe storage/transport requirements and suggest landlord do the same.

Lastly, same as First, buy a case
x2.Although legal having it in a case would solve a lot of unwanted problems and attenion.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Just as most said, not required but recommended that it be cased simply for attention purposes.

Here is the actual law; no mention of locking unless unattended:

TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
10. (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

(3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm

(a) is not visible; and

(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

Tags
firearms, law, safety, transportation