Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Default Tagged out - WT

What a morning!
A couple of weeks ago I filled both supplemental tags on 2 yearling does (great eating) .

Went out this morning to look for a buck, decided I'd let any does walk.
Got out to where I wanted to go, saw 2 does a long way off, watched them for about 20 minutes through binoculars; thought maybe a buck might come out to them.

Then decided to leave and go to another spot where I knew there had been steady traffic on a couple of good game trails. Started the quad and drove 20 feet - and saw a BIG boreal buck looking right at me from behind a thicket about 40 yards away. So, I stopped the quad. Got my rifle out, got a clip out, got off the quad, loaded the rifle. Deer decided to leave. He didn't go far and turned to walk the bush edge - fortunately for me coming along the edge towards me instead of the other way or straight into the bush . I waited until he stepped into the clear, made a "baaaaah' to stop him, which he did and I fired. Hit just a bit high (double lunged him) and he ran after doing the 'donkey-kick' . He didn't go far - maybe 30 yards .

He's a big 4X4, biggest rack I've ever gotten. Rack is 22 inches outside span. Main beams very symmetrical, about 20-21 inches long. Didn't measure tines yet.

Pics to come when I get them off the camera.

Note: this is my 5th season hunting Alberta. Up til now I've tagged a grand total of 1 deer (small 4X4). Now 3 in one season, and I've seen a lot of deer this year. My best season ever
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Good job congrats!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Congrats!! Get a pic up quick
Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 PM

Congrats
Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Congratulations. Waiting for pics.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Congrats on your success!!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM

Default Pics added

Pics added, I had to got them off of my camera, but first had to get the program into my new computer!

First doe

Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
What a morning!
A couple of weeks ago I filled both supplemental tags on 2 yearling does (great eating) .

Went out this morning to look for a buck, decided I'd let any does walk.
Got out to where I wanted to go, saw 2 does a long way off, watched them for about 20 minutes through binoculars; thought maybe a buck might come out to them.

Then decided to leave and go to another spot where I knew there had been steady traffic on a couple of good game trails. Started the quad and drove 20 feet - and saw a BIG boreal buck looking right at me from behind a thicket about 40 yards away. So, I stopped the quad. Got my rifle out, got a clip out, got off the quad, loaded the rifle. Deer decided to leave. He didn't go far and turned to walk the bush edge - fortunately for me coming along the edge towards me instead of the other way or straight into the bush . I waited until he stepped into the clear, made a "baaaaah' to stop him, which he did and I fired. Hit just a bit high (double lunged him) and he ran after doing the 'donkey-kick' . He didn't go far - maybe 30 yards .

He's a big 4X4, biggest rack I've ever gotten. Rack is 22 inches outside span. Main beams very symmetrical, about 20-21 inches long. Didn't measure tines yet.

Pics to come when I get them off the camera.

Note: this is my 5th season hunting Alberta. Up til now I've tagged a grand total of 1 deer (small 4X4). Now 3 in one season, and I've seen a lot of deer this year. My best season ever

Last edited by Mistagin; 12-02-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Pics Added
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Way to go! You will be eating great this winter
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Congrats, man!