Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Cody cassidy court case ?

Just heard a few things on this. Was there just a slap on the hand or was his Outfitters Business shut down.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Maybe some formal letters to apos from the hunting community might not be a bad thing
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Court case for what? What's the story behind this?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:43 PM

For trespassing/poaching a moose in bow season and threatening other hunters and land owners. It all came from a post started on a Consort area guide that turned out to be Cody in court in Hanna.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks, I'll search and read that thread.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Default anyone able to find more info on this??

Has anyone found any more info on this?? I posted a couple of weeks ago with no names mentioned, just that it was a prominent rodeo participant.( http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=197039)
Rumors were flying around the Stettler area about what had taken place. Would a conviction on charges like these prevent him from traveling to the states? If so that would be a mighty big blow to his career and wallet.
If convicted perhaps a few letters to some of his rodeo sponsors would be in order. After all most company's likely wouldn't want it know that they support a lawbreaker.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Did he actually shoot the moose or was it a client that shot it under his guidance?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Did he actually shoot the moose or was it a client that shot it under his guidance?
If a client shot it under his guidance he should be just as much to blame as his hunter...an outfitter should know the rules and regulation just as good if not better than a regular hunter imho
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
If a client shot it under his guidance he should be just as much to blame as his hunter...an outfitter should know the rules and regulation just as good if not better than a regular hunter imho
I don't disagree, I'm just curious if anyone knows more of the details.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignixs View Post
I think the guy should get his date in court before we starting talking about what happens to him after being convicted. We got a system for a reason and should let it play out, until he is found guilty then he is not guilty under our system. To often we forget about that step.

Of course if he is guilty then there should be an appropriate punishment.

F&W charges are not criminal charges so theoretically should not prevent him from crossing the border if he is convicted. Though it might cause him questions at the border.
Why should we not talk about it until he convicted in court? So he can get a get a good lawyer and get off on the charges?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
Geez, Pretty sad if this is what he is doing out of season, probably not the first time, just the first time he got caught. What is it with Outfitters having there clients shoot a animal with rifles in bow season, wasnt there a bunch of stories of another outfitter doing the same thing with elk last year. In their eye's its do what ever at all costs for the almighty dollar. I just can't figure out why clients would pay 4000 plus or a heck of alot more for a illegal hunt, why not pay a good outfitter and do it right.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I think the guy should get his date in court before we starting talking about what happens to him after being convicted. We got a system for a reason and should let it play out, until he is found guilty then he is not guilty under our system. To often we forget about that step.

F&W charges are not criminal charges so theoretically should not prevent him from crossing the border if he is convicted. Though it might cause him questions at the border.
I assumed from earlier posts that it has been to court already ( post #4 ) or perhaps it was just a first appearance! Either way when I had a brush with the law a few years ago I was damn well considered guilty until I was proven innocent in court.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I did not say that you should not talk about it, I said we should not be assuming the guys guilty till he has his day in court and talking about what his punishment will be. He has not been convicted of anything which means in our system he is innocent till proven guilty. Its what makes us different than the many terrible countries out there.

However judging from your comments you seem to have already convicted the guy. If he guilty it will not matter how good his lawyer is, if he's not then he will be acquitted. Only time will tell but he deserves his day in court, not all charges result in convictions.

Its how are system supposed to work and we all sometimes forget that.
Well said its pretty hard to reverse damage caused by slander before anyone even knows the truth unless you were personally there its hard to know what really happened
Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Well said its pretty hard to reverse damage caused by slander before anyone even knows the truth unless you were personally there its hard to know what really happened
X2.

But hey, it's the internet where you do say and the facts don't matter.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:

X2, let the courts do their work before crucifying the guy, all we have on here is rumors, the court will get the facts.