Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Default Consort Area Guides/Outfitters?

Wondering if anyone is familiar with anyone operating out in the area? Had a couple pals quite literally get harassed while out on Saturday hunting whitetails by a gent and his buddy in a vehicle with a two way radio. This is the second time in two weeks the same guy has harassed them. They had permission for the second week in a row on a specific piece of land and these guys were basically following them around telling them to beat it. More or less trying to get a gauge on who this could be so I can take it up with the proper people.

Anyone else have the same experience?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 AM

The obvious solution is to take their plate number, and report them to F&W for interferring with a lawful hunt.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The obvious solution is to take their plate number, and report them to F&W for interferring with a lawful hunt.
x2
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
X3

Can you be more specific with the area and truck description? Everyone's best buddy McMahon guides around there. Usually in a 4 door white chef crew cab. Most landowners will run the POS off.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM

A group of us were out there 2 weekends ago, and were harassed by 2 hunters in a white 4 door Dodge Ram. Noticed the driver had a 2 way radio, which he quickly turned off when we approached his truck. Passenger had a American accent as well. Going there this weekend, and will phone F&W as soon as I see them!!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Rhino81 is up in that country, maybe he knows more....
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM

What was the truck description? That sounds like something my old roomate would do and last i checked he had a radio in his truck.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 PM

First Truck was a Late Model Dodge 1/2 ton white ram. Truck also had a temporary roof antenna with a cable running through drivers back door. We also passed another jacked up GM 4x4 with a temporary antenna on its roof later that afternoon.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Do you have a more specific area? North east west, gooseberry, Sedalia?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM

Locals get tired of the city hunters coming out and driving all over the country had three different groups on our land without permission two were from Calgary. They had no clue where they were. Other group was loading a 2 year old mule in the back of there truck. Kinda of a **** off considering we try to let the deer reach 4 years before we harvest them. Dont expect locals to be friendly when the weekend warriors from out of town come out. Best excuse ever is when they say we have been hunting here for 20 years so they have the right too hunt it.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM

thanks JR

I am heading down again this weekend if the stop me I will be asking more and taking plate numbers and it was in the north west side of the zone for people who are asking and they where both new model dodge pick ups full of guys one grey one white
Old 11-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Sounds like it could be the work of one Mr Lloyd McMahon, he had mule deer allocations down in that coutry.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Sounds like it could be the work of one Mr Lloyd McMahon, he had mule deer allocations down in that coutry.
As far as I know he also still maintains his camp in Metiskow. So the area fits, the MO also fits. Another upstanding APOS member.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Pretty big brush there HBR.

Kind of like taking a cheap shot at ranchers.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baskey1414 View Post
Locals get tired of the city hunters coming out and driving all over the country had three different groups on our land without permission two were from Calgary. They had no clue where they were. Other group was loading a 2 year old mule in the back of there truck. Kinda of a **** off considering we try to let the deer reach 4 years before we harvest them. Dont expect locals to be friendly when the weekend warriors from out of town come out. Best excuse ever is when they say we have been hunting here for 20 years so they have the right too hunt it.
Driving on private land is one thing. Driving down a county road and being told to beat it is another.

Shooting a 2 year old deer on property you have permission on that may be next to your land where you try and get the deer to that 4 year mark, although might suck for you, is fine and legal.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Oh trust me, Ive had my suspicions. No coincidence I have an earlier thread asking about the fella.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Lease roads to well sites are not public roads yet everyone thinks they don't need permission to drive into someones pasture as long as they stay on the road. And we know who has permission in the area because all the land around us is owned by friends or family. I agree driving down a road is perfectly fine, go hard nothing wrong with looking. Except when they run to the fence line and shoot an animal on land without permission. Then it's a game of can we load it faster than anyone can see us kinda thing. Another one is driving around a field they have permission on 5 feet from the fence looking at posted land. Sorry but I get all worked up this time of year with the stuff that goes on. Specially when your the lonely bowhunter watching it go on.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Talking

I have been hunting this area for the past thirty years on the same land in which my friend owns, I travel with my map and the phone number I need, four years ago I had a pail head (seems to be many in the area) stop me on a main road and explain this is all private land to which I had no right of access, I called our land owning family friend, he explained I should tell the forty something D _ _ _ to s _ _ _ _ himself.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Probably not from around here. Many farmer have got there heads chewed off by hunters claiming they owned the land or had exclusive permission. Until they find out you own it or ask them who they think owns it. Kinda funny. By the way the nearest f&w is coronation but he is basically retired. Next closest is oyen and provost good luck getting help out here. Getting his plate is about the only thing you can do around here.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM

I personally will not trespass just to take an animal, I ask permission every year and am always told you don't have to ask, yet i do and I let him know what vehicle I will be driving.

Unlike many I do understand these land owners have businesses to run whether it be cattle or dirt farming, business is business, I hunt for recreation and am extremely grateful there are still land owners that will allow me access.

Unfortunately they have seen it all and get fed up with the stupidity and lack of respect displayed by many who hunt, I myself had been taught from an early age to cherish the resource that did and still does include those who own, pay the taxes and run their businesses off these tracks of land.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Pretty big brush there HBR.

Kind of like taking a cheap shot at ranchers.
I've learned well, eh?

Is he not a member of APOS? The APOS website says he is.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 11-26-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I've learned well, eh?

Is he not a member of APOS? The APOS website says he is.
You know what? It ain't worth my time arguing with that logic.

Have great night.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Rhino81 is up in that country, maybe he knows more....
I'm 2 hours from there. Not sure who has the tags by consort. F&W will know who is outfitting in the area and probably have a talk with them.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baskey1414 View Post
Never had a problem out that way.
In fact... I find the locals more welcoming than in some parts.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM

There is a outfitter near coronation.
I don't think the outfit gets to hunt very much land.
You don't have to drive far to see a sign put up by a farmer that says "no guides"

The farmers simply don't like them, and in my experience they don't care how big the rack is on a buck that someone just killed.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Default Throw the book at him!!

If its true and it sound like it is heard that there is a guide/outfitter. In court to day in Hanna for Trespassing poaching a moose with a rifle in bow season. And threatening other hunters I hear he may be from Castor or Coronation area. He needs to be prosecuted to the fullest to let make example that this crap won't be tolerated. I have seen and talk to land owners only to be turned down for permission to hunt on 4 quarters of great hunting area. I find out that the outfitter did not come in there all season. Well come next year I got permission to hunt there a low & behold who shows up but the guide with out permission!!!! trying to BIG BALL me that I had no right to be there!! LOL Picked the wrong guy LOL. So this kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If some one hears something on this let me know would like to see what was done to him. Thanks

Last edited by 243 wild cat; 11-28-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild side targets View Post
If its true and it sound like it is heard that there is a guide/outfitter. In court to day in Hanna for Trespassing poaching a moose with a rifle in bow season. And threatening other hunters I hear he may be from Castor or Coronation area. He needs to be prosecuted to the fullest to let make example that this crap won't be tolerated. I have seen and talk to land owners only to be turned down for permission to hunt on 4 quarters of great hunting area. I find out that the outfitter did not come in there all season. Well come next year I got permission to hunt there a low & behold who shows up but the guide with out permission!!!! trying to BIG BALL me that I had no right to be there!! LOL Picked the wrong guy LOL. So this kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Different guy. The one your talking about lives closer to Donalda. Also an APOS member, but who's keeping track.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks hillbilly i now some friends over there. May get some news on this.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Different guy. The one your talking about lives closer to Donalda. Also an APOS member, but who's keeping track.
You must be talking about the great Cassidy's.... I was running a ranch just north of halkirk and had no uh ting signs every hundred feet of so...their was a bunch of nice mule deer that never left the property as we had a 4 section block...next thing you know a red Chevy comes peeling out of the lease road with a hunter and a freshly killed deer in the back...I reported it but nothing happened, few months later on his website is this deer that was always on the ranch property...people around their are starting to get fed up and are shutting land down because of their crap
Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Default Take them down!!

Just found out it is them. Sure funny how word travels sounds like there is more then a small bunch of people fed up with ther crap!! that they have been getting away with. Well if all true in the court maybe just maybe he or they will get a kick in the shorts not just a hand slap MAKE THEM PAY. MAKE IT HURT!!