Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
You can search your comments as easy as I can,.........wouldn't worry about it , just carry on. I can see from a lot of the other comments, I am pretty much wasting my time anyway.
I did, I can't find what you are talking about.
My guess is you were referring to back in the day where the gov was considering allowing landowners to sell tags and access.

I would love to see this thread you are speaking of.

Jamie
Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Here's something to consider too. I have family that once limited the hunting on their land to a few friends and family. They had issues with trying to control who was in and when. They said no more hunting for anyone.

Lo and behold, they starting having gates left open, fences downed and fields chewed up.

After a couple of years they said to hell with it and put up signs saying that anyone can hunt and if anything suspicious is seen or if a fence is down to please call the house. Posted the number up right on the corner posts.

Whadda ya know they have next to no issues with any of the previous headaches. A fence gets a tree blown across it and they get a phone call telling them. A guy was ripping after a deer and someone called and the guy was charged.

Food for thought. Shutting access down for everyone may not be the best idea. It only keeps the honest folks out. McMahon already disregards signs. This will only serve to be his own private petting zoo.

XXXX2 ^^^^^

How true,

It's the farmers who don't allow any access/hunting that brings it on themselves, courtesy of the dishonest hunters. The honest hunter will oblige and pass, whereas the dishonest hunter will still hunt/access where they should not be. Thats (for 1 example), where they harvest an animal, they know its illegal, so, cut the fence drive in and out as fast as possible to reduce the chances of getting caught.
On the other hand if the farmer allowed access, the normal means of retrival would apply and no fences cut, (in most cases).
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM

I can't believe some people here actually believe it is the Landowners fault for not letting hunters on. Wow.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
I can't believe some people here actually believe it is the Landowners fault for not letting hunters on. Wow.
Not saying that at all. Just giving a real life example of what will happen if an area is shut down to access. If that is what you got from my post then Wow indeed.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Lol
You're right. They shouldn't be given that right.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
^^agree

Private land is private land hunters should appreciate that a good number of landowners in Alberta will give permission. A lot of places outside of Alberta it is extremely tough to get permission on private land.

The real problem is the unethical hunters that lack respect this is what will make it harder to gain access to private land. These are the people that are screwing up access and the ones hunters should be ****ed at. Every bad experience a land owner has is a black eye for hunters and will make him less willing to let others hunt.

Really why should a landowner let everyone and their dog run around on there land whenever they want?

I own a small acreage because I want peace and space between my neighbours. If I am going to open it up like a public park there is no point to pay out the extra money for my land.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
^^agree

Private land is private land hunters should appreciate that a good number of landowners in Alberta will give permission. A lot of places outside of Alberta it is extremely tough to get permission on private land.

The real problem is the unethical POACHERS that lack respect this is what will make it harder to gain access to private land. These are the people that are screwing up access and the ones hunters should be ****ed at. Every bad experience a land owner has is a black eye for hunters and will make him less willing to let others hunt.

Really why should a landowner let everyone and their dog run around on there land whenever they want?

I own a small acreage because I want peace and space between my neighbours. If I am going to open it up like a public park there is no point to pay out the extra money for my land.
Fixed it for you. Lets not lump criminals in with us that play by the rules.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Fixed it for you. Lets not lump criminals in with us that play by the rules.
Yes poachers is more fitting
Old 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You all sound like a bunch of Lawyers now or squawkin school girls
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM

The bird is black because I want it to be black.

Plenty of manipulation going on in interpreting posts.

People are Not blaming landowners, just expressing cause and effect.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The bird is black because I want it to be black.

Plenty of manipulation going on in interpreting posts.

People are Not blaming landowners, just expressing cause and effect.
Thanks. Exactly what I was meaning.

FWIW I truly believe a landowner can and should do whatever they want. I don't own it, therefore I have to, and do, respect what they want. I just think that when I see posts that say because so and so does this the landowners are shutting access down for everyone, it is a no win for anybody.

The landowner will still have the poaching. The hunters still have to find somewhere else and the poachers will have their own little game preserve. Shutting down access isn't the solution. Its already proven to be little if any deterrent.