Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Trap checking

Hey guys, I am in the process of checking out a line to buy right now. it is less than 3 hrs from home. Price is a bit more than I think it should be but we haven't got to the bottom line yet either so hopefully that changes for the better. I was curious to know how often some of you guys check your lines? I have people tell me they like to check once every 4 days and others say a week or more. What do you find works best for you? For me personally I think I can do it on a weekly basis but is that too long? I don't want to get into this if I am over my head.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM

5-7 day check weather permitting.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Depends on sets used! I like to go every 4 days but sometimes stretch it, unless I am using footholds then its every 2 days! Footholds were very successful for me this year!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 AM

I would only be using snares and conibears. Can't check every 2 days so no footholds
Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Is there a cabin Nube ? I only check once every 7-10 days when I'm at work. That being said it takes me two days to run the whole line, if there is no cabin that would make for a lot of driving. Another thing to consider is it takes me 3-4 days to set everything at the start of the season, this would also make for a lot of driving. If there is a cabin or you'd be building one right away then I'd go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Nube:
One thing I would mention is that I know your nemisis animal is the weasel. You almost have to check your weasel traps daily or the mice will eat the pelt off of any weasels you catch within a day or 2.

Weather can play a factor in checking traps too. Too warm and you might have green skinned catches if left too long. Heavy snowfall and you will need to reset many traps or snares.

Traps that are not killing devices must be checked at least
once every 48 hours if set under the authority of a Registered
Fur Management Licence.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM

2 cabins and 7 townships Tork. Been there before and it is a great spot at the one cabin. Just have to find out if the area is worth trapping and I can get it for a fair price
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Good thoughts Red thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM

Also had the question of whether it is legal or not for a friend to check traps for me if I am not there? With or without a trappers license? Somehow I doubt it?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Only if they are signed on as a jr! Cost you nothing to sign them on. Cost is about $20 annual for them! No liscence no checking traps!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

There is a way to greatly reduce mouse damage to your catch.

One such way is the running pole set I described in an earlier thread. I do have a second method for use with bird box sets.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Is there a cabin Nube ? I only check once every 7-10 days when I'm at work. That being said it takes me two days to run the whole line, if there is no cabin that would make for a lot of driving. Another thing to consider is it takes me 3-4 days to set everything at the start of the season, this would also make for a lot of driving. If there is a cabin or you'd be building one right away then I'd go for it, you won't regret it.
I have been reading the forums here for over a year but this is my first post. I have trapped and snared over 50 yr and would like to know what kind of fur loss you have checking every 10 days. Squirrels, mice, ravens all would destroy half my catch even pole sets martin get plucked or something eats them. Only hope would be a live coyote or lynx in a snare.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendesen1 View Post
I have been reading the forums here for over a year but this is my first post. I have trapped and snared over 50 yr and would like to know what kind of fur loss you have checking every 10 days. Squirrels, mice, ravens all would destroy half my catch even pole sets martin get plucked or something eats them. Only hope would be a live coyote or lynx in a snare.
x2 i also work full time even at three days between u will get some damage
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Banned

nube, it's been about 2 weeks now. how are negotiations going on your trapline? enquireing minds want to know. lol
Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
x2 i also work full time even at three days between u will get some damage
I have seen that lynx eat each other on longer checks. If you set your marten traps so they are suspended when caught, you will very rarely have problems with damaged marten.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
I have seen that lynx eat each other on longer checks. If you set your marten traps so they are suspended when caught, you will very rarely have problems with damaged marten.
do set suspended for martin and fisher like them to hang away from tree but always get one that gets chewed up a year its the voles I hate burrow right into belly on lynx or mink cyotes fox and they do it within a day hungry little basterds make for a lot of sewing some years worse than others this year was good only had one martin chewd an am pretty sure was a flying squirrel ate on the face no damage to back so will only get about a fifty percent deduction for damaged
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Waterninja, talked to the guy today. He is trying to get a hold fo the fish cops to sort out a few things. It takes time these things from the sounds of it but it is progressing. If the prices is right for me and the deal is fair for us both it will be a done deal.

MXZ - yes I have done some research and your thoughts are right. If I get the line I plan on running poles between 2 trees and having a horizontal box on the pole. This way they will hang to prevent fur damage and they will freeze better so no green belly. Not sure how to get around the lynx thing except for one of those log systems that will hang the cat in the air once the snare is triggered. Not really sure how it all works but I saw a youtube video of it once. I think it was on that Wildnorth guy that makes the t.v show named andrew
Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I lost 2 marten to a Wolverine last year. He pulled the chain up from the branch they were hanging on and ate them. I lost nothing this year. And why would you have a live coyote or lynx in a snare ? They are designed to kill sir. Your tone sounds familiar though, perhaps your not as new to posting as your letting on ???
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 AM

with beaver/rat season in full swing. it's only been this year did i learn that 7 days is too long for under ice critters. beavers/rats left under water too long will have noticeable redness in the leather. meaning damaged roots on the hair, and will result in a big down grade. i had seen it before but never realized what caused it.

nafa's"muskrat too main street" is a great video. free too!

i hate loosing critters(marten ect) to damage(bears are a big problem for me). and try to check every 4-5 days. 2-3 early season.

went big on swing poles a few years ago. hoping to extend the check time. they're very time consuming to build/set and was disappointed to see them rotten in 3-4 season.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Default trapline check

Nube, if you work you will need a partner on your line so you both can alternate and meet the 4-7 day check required. If weather warm will need more often, colder and lots of snow less activity on line as well as less fur damage by rodents/ravens. Also with $1.35 diesel and $1.25 gas will lower expense side for each of you on more remote line.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
I lost 2 marten to a Wolverine last year. He pulled the chain up from the branch they were hanging on and ate them. I lost nothing this year. And why would you have a live coyote or lynx in a snare ? They are designed to kill sir. Your tone sounds familiar though, perhaps your not as new to posting as your letting on ???
You can't have trapped long if you check every 10 days and don't have more loss. Also if you have never had a live lynx or coyote in a snare you are about the only one I know.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
You can't have trapped long if you check every 10 days and don't have more loss. Also if you have never had a live lynx or coyote in a snare you are about the only one I know.
Wow lots of smart low post count people on here lately. Hmmm... And there is no time limit if you using killing traps/snares. You could check once a month if you wanted to.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:31 PM

I have had 2 live lynx in snares. It does happen even when all conditions and precautions are taken! I got my first cotoneaster this year in a 120. He tries to rob the marten bait. I started using more footholds this year and it paid off! 48 hr check is ok but I wish it was a day longer. But I like any excuse to go out to the line.

Just finished my 3rd season as a jr partner. My sr only made it out a few times this year. Didn't produce huge numbers but managed 34 furs. Got 2 wolves in footholds but cannot seem to connect them with snares. Had zero luck with a bait pile and the snares I put on the trails.

It's a huge learning curve. I am a self learner but would like to take a trap line layout course

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey guys, I am in the process of checking out a line to buy right now. it is less than 3 hrs from home. Price is a bit more than I think it should be but we haven't got to the bottom line yet either so hopefully that changes for the better. I was curious to know how often some of you guys check your lines? I have people tell me they like to check once every 4 days and others say a week or more. What do you find works best for you? For me personally I think I can do it on a weekly basis but is that too long? I don't want to get into this if I am over my head.
Go for it Nube, My partner and myself go together to set at the start of season and then take turns checking after that. Half the fuel cost, wear and tear on vehical, snowmobile, and get every other weekend to catch up on skinning.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM

1/2 the income too.....
Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Wow lots of smart low post count people on here lately. Hmmm... And there is no time limit if you using killing traps/snares. You could check once a month if you wanted to.
comments like this i think your trying too start something . I suggest on a different thread to dispatch an animal with a solid smack to the noggin and get painted an ass and a tree hugger trying to stir the pot hmm a one second kill meanwhile people tell a green kid to use a choke poll hmm two to three minutes to kill if done properly. The above comment does more too feed tree huggers than anything i have read on this site plus the main thing that is trying to be coveyed is check more often less loss 50 years vs couple years and reading a book ill listen too fifty years every time your comment over checking once a month you are either trying too start an argument or a utter fool lol u pick. bad catches do happen i caught a lynx in a martin set dummy walked the poll and stuck his foot in the box how long would he have stayed alive laying on poll
Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Hendesen1, nice to see you participating in the discussion, I value your input backed by 50 years of experience.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
comments like this i think your trying too start something . I suggest on a different thread to dispatch an animal with a solid smack to the noggin and get painted an ass and a tree hugger trying to stir the pot hmm a one second kill meanwhile people tell a green kid to use a choke poll hmm two to three minutes to kill if done properly. The above comment does more too feed tree huggers than anything i have read on this site plus the main thing that is trying to be coveyed is check more often less loss 50 years vs couple years and reading a book ill listen too fifty years every time your comment over checking once a month you are either trying too start an argument or a utter fool lol u pick. bad catches do happen i caught a lynx in a martin set dummy walked the poll and stuck his foot in the box how long would he have stayed alive laying on poll
Obviously you will have more loss with less checks. But what I'm saying is once a week or even 10 days is fine. Where I live is very remote and 95% of trap lines get checked only weekly and lots every two weeks. There is very rarely problems with loss unless trapping for lynx, in which case a 3-4 day check is nice.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Trapped long is a relative term I guess. I'm 33 and I've had my own line for 4 years now. Before that was resident trapping and a junior on my fathers line. He's had that one since 1977, it was my grandfathers before. Well the 3 lines they own and trap were. He got them in the late 1940's and trapped until he was in his late 70's. I've been going to the Trapline since I was 3 years old and although I personally don't have 50 years of experience I feel I'm pulling from a pretty decent line of experience.
And no I've personally never had a lynx or coyote fowl caught in a snare, just lucky I guess.

On another note we had a fellow claiming he had many many years of experience posting on here lately that was spear heading an anti snaring campaign and spewing nonsense about other members. He was baned approx 7 days before you showed up. In your 2nd and 3rd post you have mentioned snares not working twice now. Maybe just a coincidence, but you do seem to have an issue with me, and just last week I told the guy that got banned to go F&@& himself. Again maybe just coincidence.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Trapped long is a relative term I guess. I'm 33 and I've had my own line for 4 years now. Before that was resident trapping and a junior on my fathers line. He's had that one since 1977, it was my grandfathers before. Well the 3 lines they own and trap were. He got them in the late 1940's and trapped until he was in his late 70's. I've been going to the Trapline since I was 3 years old and although I personally don't have 50 years of experience I feel I'm pulling from a pretty decent line of experience.
And no I've personally never had a lynx or coyote fowl caught in a snare, just lucky I guess.

On another note we had a fellow claiming he had many many years of experience posting on here lately that was spear heading an anti snaring campaign and spewing nonsense about other members. He was baned approx 7 days before you showed up. In your 2nd and 3rd post you have mentioned snares not working twice now. Maybe just a coincidence, but you do seem to have an issue with me, and just last week I told the guy that got banned to go F&@& himself. Again maybe just coincidence.
Your wolf traps are legal now and you have lots of experience trapping and never had a live lynx or coyote in a snare. Another fellow thinks 2 weeks is a good trap check. All good according to you but its not for me. As for an issue with you thats right i don't like your swearing and bullying people like the moderators talked about. If you dont know who i am you could be right but what I say is what I mean. Maybe my brother with over 40 years, maybe me or maybe somebody else. I know 2 people who should have never been banned for life so baning means nothing to me. Trapping has changed and the only good thing is the new kill traps.