Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Cant make up my mind

Hey guys, I hope some of you guys are doing better than us this year cuz we keep getting burned. Anyways we are heading out saturday to giver er a go and cant decide where to go. Initial thought is Grassy, thats generally our go to lake if we want to get alot of fish on the ice but it hasnt been treating us very goog this winter. What do you guys think.

P.S. Im from lethbridge so anywhere within an hour or two.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Hey Hightower,

I was in the same boat as you up until last friday when I met up with Braun at PCR and hammered the eyes and ling to get that monkey off of my back. I would say you should head out there and give it a shot to get the spirits back up.

I was at grassy on tuesday with my dad and we only had 3 bites the whole day and managed to land 2 perch. They were all over the place but didn't want to eat.

Nate
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM

go to keho or st. marys.....id love a report
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Hey Darter,

I will try to talk my buddy into heading to st.mary if cross coulee is a terrible bite tomorrow. I have never ice fished st. mary and am not sure exactly where I should head but may just have to start exploring a bit out that way.

Nate
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Darter,

I will try to talk my buddy into heading to st.mary if cross coulee is a terrible bite tomorrow. I have never ice fished st. mary and am not sure exactly where I should head but may just have to start exploring a bit out that way.

Nate
the structure is mesmerizing....but the fish well....you know
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM

there is also Jensen also..one of my favorite open water lakes
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM

I think Im going to take your advise Nate, never been but have read alot about it on the forum. Should I try by the bridge or by the boat launch and how deep did your find them (15-20 foot range?)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 PM

I tried by the bridge last year and we only had a couple fish in our area.

I like to head out all over the place in the boat but for ice fishing I just fish out in front of the boat launch off to the right side when look out at the lake from the launch.

I usually start in 25 f.o.w. and then as it gets darker I head in shallower. I don't like to fish any deeper then 25 feet because the walleye have a way better chance of swimming away when releasing. You should be able to fish anywhere in that area and get some fish.

Make sure if you are fishing at night to use glow jigs and recharge every 15 minutes at most.

Lots of guys use chunks of smelt but I would rather use a whole smaller smelt or minnows to give the set up a more natural look. It seems to work better for me. I have used chunks of bait and minnow heads and have caught fish but I find the profile of a whole minnow seems to get eaten alot faster and more frequent.

Nate
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM

rattle snake resivwar or henderson lake
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Hey Darter,

I just talked to a buddy that has been told that ridge and cross coulee are still very dirty from the flooding this summer. I also heard that st.mary is pretty dirty and only a couple feet vis. at best.

I think we are going to head to fincastle in the morning to check things out and then head to a little pond that I use to fish when I was little that held perch. I haven't heard anything about it for years but I am pretty sure there is still perch and pike in there.

nate
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Darter,

I just talked to a buddy that has been told that ridge and cross coulee are still very dirty from the flooding this summer. I also heard that st.mary is pretty dirty and only a couple feet vis. at best.

I think we are going to head to fincastle in the morning to check things out and then head to a little pond that I use to fish when I was little that held perch. I haven't heard anything about it for years but I am pretty sure there is still perch and pike in there.

nate
thanks

you talking about the little pond west of Taber?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM

Hahaha yup,

You seem to know alot of the same areas that I grew up fishing. I can let you know how things go there also. I am hoping we can find something good in there.

Nate