Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Default need name of good rod builder in calgary

just called B.C. my rod builder retired. anyone have a builder here that does premium work?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Check out Southbow Fly and Tackle. They have a great rod builder that works for them.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Pieroway located in Inglewood.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM

thanks guys
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM

at flies etc in highriver they show you how to build, and help you build your own fly rod i hear its pretty cool
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

i should post im not interested in building a fly rod. a buddy was here today and we horse traded some stuff. i traded a hunt-c for 2 G-Loomis G2 raw fly rod blanks....i'll chuck the butt sections and build 2 ice jigging rods out of the tips. i jig with a g-loomis built from the tip section presently and its great
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM

im old and like simple things.....all i want is a cork handle,i'll tape on the reel. single foot guides with large eyes. no fancy wraps.

but i want a premium end product
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 PM

Kingfisher a member of this forum is not only a top shelf guy BUT he buids rods as well. He is located in Calgary

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 AM

I have had several rods made by Dennis Cunnings at Eauclaire Rod Co. in the past. Each of these are a work of art. I highly recommend his work.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Colin Dunn (CDone) on this site.

Does great work!

Peter
Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
kingfisher a member of this forum is not only a top shelf guy but he buids rods as well. He is located in calgary
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

I've also heard many good things about kingfisher.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM

thank you men...appreciate the leads
Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Don Anderson also does very top end work and is highly regarded for his craftmanship and quality of his rods. i think he might only do split cane rods though. not sure if he is on this board but is on the Alberta Flyfishing forum.

Rgds
Mike
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Peiroway fly rods
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM

It kind of pains me that you are doing that to those blanks but they are yours. You could sell those to someone and just get a builder to purchase a tip section of a high quality blank for about $25. Instead of tape to hold on the reel I would lash it to a nice cork handle with leather lace. My personal ice rod is an old flyrod I broke the butt section on. I threw an old pflueger medalist on it and it works quite well.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Smile

Hi guys thanks for the kind words. Yes I do build rods. I also do some repairs but many times a rod is beyond repair and I would rather be honest with a person and tell them right up front if the rod can be fixed or not. Give me a PM and I can answer any questions you might have.

I also sell all the supplies, blanks, guides, and books if your interested in learning how to build the rod yourself. Building a rod is not rocket science. It is just like golf, anyone can do it. But to do it really well takes time and patience. But even the beginner can build themselves a really nice functional rod the first time out.

Actually I don't think it's crazy at all to build an ice fishing rod out of the G Loomis blank. Just think how sensitive that rod needs to be when your fishing for walleye and the fish are barely biting. The Loomis blank would give you a really great ice fishing rod.

I know this is off the subject but to answer MikeyM's question.
Your partially right MikeyM, Don Anderson does in fact build rods. But the rods that Don builds are split cane bamboo rods that are truly a work of art. Don's rods start about a thousand and go up from there. His rods are all hand made. Don is a true craftsman and puts a lot of time and effort into each and every build. Here is a link to his website in case you want to see what goes into building them.

Rob

Last edited by Kingfisher; 01-21-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Hi guys thanks for the kind words. Yes I do build rods. I also do some repairs but many times a rod is beyond repair and I would rather be honest with a person and tell them right up front if the rod can be fixed or not. Give me a PM and I can answer any questions you might have.

I also sell all the supplies, blanks, guides, and books if your interested in learning how to build the rod yourself. Building a rod is not rocket science. It is just like golf, anyone can do it. But to do it really well takes time and patience. But even the beginner can build themselves a really nice functional rod the first time out.

Actually I don't think it's crazy at all to build an ice fishing rod out of the G Loomis blank. Just think how sensitive that rod needs to be when your fishing for walleye and the fish are barely biting. The Loomis blank would give you a really great ice fishing rod.

I know this is off the subject but to answer MikeyM's question.
Your partially right MikyM, Don Anderson does in fact build rods. But the rods that Don builds are split cane bamboo rods that are truly a work of art. Don's rods start about a thousand and go up from there. His rods are all hand made. Don is a true craftsman and puts a lot of time and effort into each and every build. Here is a link to his website in case you want to see what goes into building them.

Rob
Rob....i have a st croix 6'8"-1 piece tournament legend jigging rod brand new still has tags on it.
heres my idea
cut it down to 48 inches
strip all guides and chuck them
wrap on single foot large eyed guides. i know it might be odd but can i put on a single foot on the tip so i can have a big eyed guide
no reel seat just cork...i like hockey taped reels

your thoughts and will you do it for me?

and if you guys think im a idiot.......wait.......a stella is going to be the reel..lol....go big or go home

Last edited by chubbdarter; 01-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Smile

Hell ya I like it. The only thing I don't like is the hockey tape reel bit. But hey it's your rod you make it how you like. That's what custom is all about. Give me a shout and we can make it happen.

Rob
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Hell ya I like it. The only thing I don't like is the hockey tape reel bit. But hey it's your rod you make it how you like. That's what custom is all about. Give me a shout and we can make it happen.

Rob
the tape makes my wife laugh...but its a matter of comfort ad feel for me.
so the tips strenghs wont be compromised with a single foor guide?

i'll buzz you next week and bring you the rod
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Kingfisher hooked me up with everything I needed to build my own fly rod. Started on page 1 of the book he gave me and worked through it. Turned out well. I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment. Was tedious (I didn't rush through it) but really fun to see and use the end result.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
the tape makes my wife laugh...but its a matter of comfort ad feel for me.
so the tips strenghs wont be compromised with a single foor guide?

i'll buzz you next week and bring you the rod
Of course the single foot guides are not as strong as a double foot guide. you have only one foot versus 2 holding the guide down. Will they work though? You bet they will. They are just harder to line up and wrap. You may find that over time using them for jigging that they will start to crack at the epoxy. But just keep an eye on them. You can always just reapply the epoxy or rewrap them in a few years if needed.

Rob
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Of course the single foot guides are not as strong as a double foot guide. you have only one foot versus 2 holding the guide down. Will they work though? You bet they will. They are just harder to line up and wrap. You may find that over time using them for jigging that they will start to crack at the epoxy. But just keep an eye on them. You can always just reapply the epoxy or rewrap them in a few years if needed.

Rob
so just so im in full understanding...instead of a conventional tip we can use a single foot guide....because any normal tip guide that fits the blank tip will have too small of a line guide.

thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Smile

I see what your after. If your just talking about the tip I have a good selection of tips of all sizes. Some are very large and you won't be dissapointed. You can either go with a large regular type of guide or you can go with more of a single foot fly rod type guide that is extra large. I think that's more of what your talking about.

Rob
Old 01-21-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I see what your after. If your just talking about the tip I have a good selection of tips of all sizes. Some are very large and you won't be dissapointed. You can either go with a large regular type of guide or you can go with more of a single foot fly rod type guide that is extra large. I think that's more of what your talking about.

Rob
thanks i will call you and have you built it

cheers