Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Sturgeon bait and rigs!

With all the sturgeon talk going on, what is your fav bait and rigs for sturgeon? I'm sure everyone has thier own method and favorite bait.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM

i fished for sturgeon a few times on the Fraser River back home in BC. Eulachons were the go to bait, as were ditch eels (if you could get your hands on them). the dinos went wild for those baits. during the salmon runs, a salmon head or some old roe would pick up the odd fish as well. i've also heard of people using rotten chicken guts and stuff like that. good "sturgeon stink bait". wear gloves.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM

the rig i use on the oldman and grand forks is a slip weight with a 3 foot leader to a single hook. If there is alot of debris i'll run a spin and glow in front of the hook to repel some of the junk.
squid and dewwies loaded up on the hook.....dewwies sometimes dont last long as the walleyes and sauger peck them off. Minnows attract too many pike where i fish.
a friend of mine uses goldeye guts but i think goldeye stink so ive dont use it
Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM

bait = something stinky
line = 80+
make sure your hooks are very sharp and strong.
make sure you got alot of line on your heavey rod.
this is my rig when i go for sturgeon the weigth is connected to a 25lb test flouro so if i get snagged i wont loose my whole set up just the weight. the leader for the J hook is about 120-140lb test im sure its one of those the line is bassicly rope.
mak sure you got a realy heavey sival on the connecter because thats what holds you to the fish.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 PM

A big piece of sucker belly works good. I also like dew worrms, because my yard is full of them.You can go through lots of worms when the goldeye,suckers,chubs and walleye are bitting.Use a peice of a rubbertail to hold on your bait, works good.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM

what do most people use for a rod/reel setup?
looking to do some sturgeon fishing this season, but gotta buy a bit heavier setup than the rest of my gear.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM

i use a big trolling rod with very heavey line. telephone polls work best in chucking your heavey weight into the middle of th NSR
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
what do most people use for a rod/reel setup?
looking to do some sturgeon fishing this season, but gotta buy a bit heavier setup than the rest of my gear.
What's your budget?

Last year when funds were a lot tighter I was using a 7' long MH Rhino rod and a 4000 size Shimano Solstace (and later a Shimano Sahara) reel with 50lb spiderwire. The whole setup including line cost me about $100 and did the job just fine when I finally did get into a sturgeon.

This year I've moved up a bit and got myself a 8'6" Shimano Clarus with a Shimano Corvalus baitcaster.

Basically you want a fairly beefy rod that can handle tossing out fairly heavy weights, and a reel with a fair bit of line capacity, and a line that you trust.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM

For a rod and reel set up I use a 8000 size stella with 50lb braid and a extra heavy 7' shimano spinning rod. Heaves 6 ounces of lead as far as I care to cast it and the rod can sustain 25lb of drag from stella if I needed it. I prefer spinners to bait casters but thats just me. With the 8000 I've never come close to anything spooling me or even half a spool. Could easily get away with a smaller reel.

As for a rig, I use 2 snap swivels, one free moving along the mainline and one tied terminally with a bead between them. The free moving one is for the weight which I attach via 20 lb mono loop. Usually use a 6 oz pyramid sinker. On the terminal swivel I put pre tied 50 lb braid or 50 lb dacron snells in different lengths. This way if I lose a rig its quick and easy to replace or if one gets fouled up. Usually use size 2/0 to 4/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks. Have not needed more than 50lb for any I've pulled out of the NSR.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 PM

is a rod with a bit more action something to lean towards?

also, what weight sizes am i looking at getting to hold bottom in the nsr?
obviously it depends where, but a range would be nice.

havent really took any time to fish the snr despite it being so close. Hopefully that will change this year.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
is a rod with a bit more action something to lean towards?

also, what weight sizes am i looking at getting to hold bottom in the nsr?
obviously it depends where, but a range would be nice.

havent really took any time to fish the snr despite it being so close. Hopefully that will change this year.
I like a little more action because, honestly, you'll get into a lot more suckers, goldeye and walleye than you ever will sturgeon - at least in this neck of the woods, and the action on the tip will let you know when they're there. That being said, you still need a rod that's got enough backbone to handle the odd sturgeon that does come by.

Honestly the MH Rhino did the job for me just fine, and I'll keep using this rod on the NSR a lot.

As for weight, depending on the current I'm chucking anywhere between 2oz and 4oz.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM

hmm do you guys fish the NSR by rocky>? or else where?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

7 foot medium action shimano with 10 pound line. tie the 2-3 ounce weight on with 6 pound mono so you dont lose everything when you snag up. minnows and worms work best round these parts. my best in a day was around 30 fish....well 30 sturgeon....there were lots more walleye and goldeye that day too. my best ever fish was around 70 pounds or so, also caught on the same gear. they are just fish.....most arent 70 pounds.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post

bait = something stinky
line = 80+
make sure your hooks are very sharp and strong.
make sure you got alot of line on your heavey rod.
this is my rig when i go for sturgeon the weigth is connected to a 25lb test flouro so if i get snagged i wont loose my whole set up just the weight. the leader for the J hook is about 120-140lb test im sure its one of those the line is bassicly rope.
mak sure you got a realy heavey sival on the connecter because thats what holds you to the fish.
Any luck with that?
FH7 u seem to know how to wrangle all species of fish no matter where or when or what province. U my friend, are magical.
Teach us.
Perhaps u can get urself a Sticky
Gotta wonder to myself...how much does this dude get .....?
Cheers n GL!