Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Which Jig For Walleye and Pike (Pictures)?

Which one of these would works better for walleye and pike ice fishing?
The first 3 glow in the dark. Would I use smelts with them?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM

I would'nt bother with the Rubber's,however get some Jig heads the same color as your green Rubber aswell get some Bright orange 1\8 oz jig heads also. Walleye can see many colors,however they can see Orange better than all other colors,follwed by yellow and Green!

No B.S!!!!

Good Luck !
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM

plain jig head tipped with a minnow for walleyes for sure,, especially at a gimme lake like Pigeon. Hungry little baaaastuuurds

you could always try chubby darters
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 AM

how is pigeon lake to get on to is there lots of snow .would a 4 by 4 make it on at golden days.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 AM

All of them look pretty good - I'd let the fish decide!

If you're topping it with bait, you could just use a jig head though.

Dave99
Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 AM

they should all work, try various colours too, and if you are just fishing for pike you could upsize a bit too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I would'nt bother with the Rubber's,however get some Jig heads the same color as your green Rubber aswell get some Bright orange 1\8 oz jig heads also. Walleye can see many colors,however they can see Orange better than all other colors,follwed by yellow and Green!

No B.S!!!!

Good Luck !
i've always been told blue is seen by walleye the best as it is near the top of the color spectrum.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 AM

if i were you i would invest in some stinger hooks..they work great and you wont miss a bite if they short strike those jigs....Good luck out there
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Default walley colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i've always been told blue is seen by walleye the best as it is near the top of the color spectrum.
best research i have read says walley lack the blue-yellow cells and have the red-green cells. it says that walley see most likely see things in either the shade of red or green. thats not to say blue wont work cause it does sometimes. i would recommend u get some that allow a small blade to be put on the bottom (i have found this helps attract more agressive eyes).best bet is to bring a variety and try everything. nothing more frustrating than marking fish and not being able to do anything to get em.....good luck.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
best research i have read says walley lack the blue-yellow cells and have the red-green cells. it says that walley see most likely see things in either the shade of red or green. thats not to say blue wont work cause it does sometimes. i would recommend u get some that allow a small blade to be put on the bottom (i have found this helps attract more agressive eyes).best bet is to bring a variety and try everything. nothing more frustrating than marking fish and not being able to do anything to get em.....good luck.
x2. Walleye see blue as nothing (grey scale) so don't think that it's an attractant. Remember red is the first color to disappear in the water column, happens around 18 feet. So if your fishing deeper, orange, yellow or green is better. Glo or white does seem to work well, but in murky conditions. It wouldn't be my first choice on a clear lake.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 AM

To the OP, throw out the last one IMO, unless you want to use it for perch (hard to tell it's size). I personally would stock up on green, yellow, and pink heads as well. Can't just have one color. Typically a grub body isn't needed although has it's uses at some times. Personally I prefer double tails over grubs, but then you can get a lot of pike (which isn't a bad thing). And if you insist on using grubs or tails or some kind, use gulp alive ones. You might as well us something with scent.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Blue

Chris
Funny you mention blue as a blah color for walleyes. Since I was a kid and still do use for trolling a blue rapala with white belly. Catches walleye all the time and probably my most used trolling lure in my box.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM

It's just what the books say. To be honest, I have never used anything blue. I stick to natural selections.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Blue

I dont know why either it is the only blue lure in my box and the guys that boat fish with me go buy them as well.
Go figure.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM

plain jig tipped with a smelt or minnow add the stinger hook for the lite biters
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM

PIKE:I wouldn't use a smelt on any of those jigs as the heads are too light and the shanks are too short. Get a heavier jig as it'll sink the smelt alot faster, adding a treble for a stinger, attaching it to the jig with a length of brass snare wire. This will avoid bite-offs. Length of brass wire will depend on length of bait. The wire is easy to bend if you have it too long. Hook-up your smelt so that it sits upright in the water. Always use a quality 12 inch or longer leader when pike fishing. Don't bother with the twister tails. Fish in a lake that is known to have big fish in it if that is what your looking for. I've caught fish on every color jig imagineable, even purple. For pike, a 12 inch bait was average.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
PIKE:I wouldn't use a smelt on any of those jigs as the heads are too light and the shanks are too short. Get a heavier jig as it'll sink the smelt alot faster, adding a treble for a stinger, attaching it to the jig with a length of brass snare wire. This will avoid bite-offs. Length of brass wire will depend on length of bait. The wire is easy to bend if you have it too long. Hook-up your smelt so that it sits upright in the water. Always use a quality 12 inch or longer leader when pike fishing. Don't bother with the twister tails. Fish in a lake that is known to have big fish in it if that is what your looking for. I've caught fish on every color jig imagineable, even purple. For pike, a 12 inch bait was average.
you dont need leaders if u set the hook unless its on the tip up i use a florclear leader. and long shanks?lol have u ever noticed pike bite by the head or just below it? iv experamented with every color for pike to lol including pink and yes it does work quite well
Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERCHY View Post
if i were you i would invest in some stinger hooks..they work great and you wont miss a bite if they short strike those jigs....Good luck out there
Yes...I almost never fish a jig without a stinger hook for wallys. I don't use bodies that much either unless I want to slow down the rise and fall rate and in that case I would go with a double tail. I have had good success with the Northlands Whistler jigs in the winter though.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM

To the guys that are using stingers and jigs....not saying you shouldn't but adding an extra complexity to it that doesn't need to be there. If the bite is finicky and they are just clipping tails, adding a stinger might get you a few more hook sets but the amond of finicky fish turn away because they see a stinger is way more. In those situations you abandon the jig and go with a better presenation for finicky fish.

Plus, if you have a decent rod with a super fast tip and you're a good fisher. You should be feeling the "tug" and letting out line until you know for sure they're on. Some trial and error will be needed. Just my opinon on that.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
x2. Walleye see blue as nothing (grey scale) so don't think that it's an attractant. Remember red is the first color to disappear in the water column, happens around 18 feet. So if your fishing deeper, orange, yellow or green is better. Glo or white does seem to work well, but in murky conditions. It wouldn't be my first choice on a clear lake.
Stang,

i got this info from an old timer bud of mine up north that produces jig heads for market. he uses a lot of blue paint. i own many different sizes and styles in straight blue and honestly have'nt had better luck on them over others. that being said my go to colors are two toned blue/chartreuse and blue/lime green with red eyes.

Dace.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
Stang,

i got this info from an old timer bud of mine up north that produces jig heads for market. he uses a lot of blue paint. i own many different sizes and styles in straight blue and honestly have'nt had better luck on them over others. that being said my go to colors are two toned blue/chartreuse and blue/lime green with red eyes.

Dace.
Well, you learn something new every day! I will add some blue stuff to my "collection" for the summer. Dace, you got any samples to share (or pics)?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Well, you learn something new every day! I will add some blue stuff to my "collection" for the summer. Dace, you got any samples to share (or pics)?
what style and weight of head do you like to use?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:09 PM

1/4 oz gumball usually.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM

thats a canon ball!! i'll see what i can dig up.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 PM

Only because that's the only name I know LOL. I like to use another style, but don't know what it's called. Kinda like this one:

Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM

we call that style a "walley head" should have something for you. i'll pm you later when i'm a little closer to the tickle trunk.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 PM

we use stingers often....when big wary eyes nose up to a bait and inhale without a forward strike movement.... most times the tail will swing into her mouth as its lighter.
when looking for big eyes your working for that 1-2 bites from mommas.
jigging raps, darters and most spoons with exposed hooks every where commit a bigger crime then stinger hooks.
lets be realistic we are jigging a minnow with a painted ball of lead stuck to its face....if that didnt tip the fish off...i doubt a stinger will.....in the case of the one pictured above...its bright pink...with blue eyes and a large eye welded to its forehead......presentation wins over lure choice most of the time

Last edited by chubbdarter; 01-21-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM

That is why I try to throw as light as possible. Make the minnow look alot more natural. I don't use stingers at all and still seem to get the fish. Like mentioned before, if they are biting lite then you have to be quick on the ball and feed them some slack line until you know they have eaten the bait.

Me and Braun were out at PCR the other night and they kept short biting us so I started feeding them line and shortly after that we started landing fish.

Braun thought for sure we would have some dead fish due to inhaling the hooks deep but every fish we brought up had it right in the end of the snout.

I usually go to a glow jig in either white, orange, chartruese, or pink. I used my fish tank in the dark to see what they would look like under water in the dark with the smaller sizes on. They have a suttle red glow to the eyes of my favorite jig and when burried into the mouth of the minnow it just seems to have a bit of glow that I think helps to spark the attention of the walleyes.

Nate
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Chris
Funny you mention blue as a blah color for walleyes. Since I was a kid and still do use for trolling a blue rapala with white belly. Catches walleye all the time and probably my most used trolling lure in my box.
x2,blue rapala's have been One of my weapons of choice,however comparing a blue jig to a blue rapala is redundant,because it's different styles of fishing.those blue lures are moving quick,and it's not so much only the color of the blue lure and the walleye seeing it,but more the walleye feeling it through the vibrations in the fishes lateral lines.

I cast rapalas in the pitch black in the middle of the night and catch walleye,because they pick up the vibrations of the lure through the water and they think its a small fish\big minnow and then they strike!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
That is why I try to throw as light as possible. Make the minnow look alot more natural. I don't use stingers at all and still seem to get the fish. Like mentioned before, if they are biting lite then you have to be quick on the ball and feed them some slack line until you know they have eaten the bait.

Me and Braun were out at PCR the other night and they kept short biting us so I started feeding them line and shortly after that we started landing fish.

Braun thought for sure we would have some dead fish due to inhaling the hooks deep but every fish we brought up had it right in the end of the snout.

I usually go to a glow jig in either white, orange, chartruese, or pink. I used my fish tank in the dark to see what they would look like under water in the dark with the smaller sizes on. They have a suttle red glow to the eyes of my favorite jig and when burried into the mouth of the minnow it just seems to have a bit of glow that I think helps to spark the attention of the walleyes.

Nate
in my experience when big eyes under ice are tentative they rarely will run with a bait....they nibble and spit...no matter how carefull you are in drag resistant game.
a stinger makes it a quick strike rig.
smaller male walleyes are in flocks similar to poop hawks......we all know what a seagull does.