Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Home insurance

Hi guys just looking for any advise on where to go for new home insurance for my acerage,I had a claim due to a small septic backup last yr spring that cost around 20 k to fix in the end,so I was paying 260 a month but now they shot it up to 470$ and that’s not in my budget.ive called around but so far nobody seems to want to insure me due to me having a claim in the last 2 yrs..anyone have a similar experience??
Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 AM

We went with All State, cheaper than co-operators, by 200 each month, give your local All State people a call maybe they can give you a better price.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:15 AM

20 k may seem small to you but now you are a risk, good luck. Acreage insurance is high because of rural, if you live in town it's likely under $1,500.00. I also live on a acreage couple years ago I was with Coop and it went up 26% per year for 3 years, shopped around and got quotes ranging from 3,600 to 4,400.00.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:44 AM

Try AMA
Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
Try AMA
AMA is great, as long as you have no claims. Whatever you get, if you reload, make sure the company will still cover you.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 AM

As with most things - you get what you pay for. Find an insurance broker that can compare the different policies for you and explain the differences. Some of the less expensive policies don't cover much.

You can save a few bucks when you go through the same company for all of your insurance (home, auto etc).

Otherwise, that's how insurance works - they have to recuperate that $20k somehow or it wouldn't be a sustainable system.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Most insurance companies ask how far away you are from the fire service , if you are over 25 kilometres then you rate in more,
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 AM

The difference in price can be as simple as the description of the coverage.

Is the building being depreciated each year from insured value? Is this a policy with a Co Insurance Clause if you guess wrong on the value of the building? Is this a replacement cost policy up to insured value?

Not necessarily the best coverage for the price sometimes.

Drewski
Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Most insurance companies ask how far away you are from the fire service , if you are over 25 kilometres then you rate in more,
With my place I was told somthing like 12 or 13 kms and the rate goes up, I am just barely over that.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Call your local Drayden Agency and get them to shop it around. Make sure the policy covers sewer, water leakage, overland water, etc. Cheap policy with crap coverage is not a deal. I switched from Reid Stienhouse as the agent, who I had been with for a couple of decades, because their service went from great to average and then poor. It became call centre only with no option to deal with the same agent. Mine went down almost $1,200 a year after Drayden did some hard shopping and I actually got better coverage than I had. Saved a bunch on the vehicle insurance too.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Always combine home and auto for your best discounts. Insurance world is upside down right now so dont be surprised if things seem weird. Some wont even want to sell you any and some insurance companies wont even sign up new business. Most will only pickup the cream of the crop clients too. With all the big loss ratios right now anyone with claims should almost stay put for a while until things settle out. If you find a so called deal go over the policy with a fine tooth comb and make sure you have everything covered as sometimes brokers will happen not to put things in that reduces the cost but may hurt later Best thing is talk to a good broker that knows their stuff.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 PM

I’m in rural Saskatchewan. I was paying $180 a month for basic home insurance. Heard about RBC insurance. Gave them a call and was sure glad I did. For the exact same coverage I now pay $83 a month. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 PM

Unfortunately your postal code determines a lot of your basic insurance and Alberta is different than Sask. Sounds like you are getting a great deal or is real basic coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
I’m in rural Saskatchewan. I was paying $180 a month for basic home insurance. Heard about RBC insurance. Gave them a call and was sure glad I did. For the exact same coverage I now pay $83 a month. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 PM

S.E.F. 13D – COMPREHENSIVE COVER – LIMITED GLASS
Provides specified perils coverage for all glass on a vehicle and in addition vandalism to windows other than the front window. This endorsement generally reduces your Comprehensive premium by around 50%. Most policies with Comprehensive coverage have this endorsement on them as the cost to replace your windshield is usually around the same as the amount of your deductible. We add this limitation on to your policy so you do not need to pay for coverage on your glass when your deductible will cover the cost of the glass anyway. If you wish to cover your glass we can offer coverage through a specialized glass insurance company with much lower deductibles and reasonable rates.

*if you need glass there is a separate glass policy that has a $50 deductible.

S.E.F. 20 – LOSS OF USE
Provides for the rental of an automobile while the insured vehicle is out of use due to an insured peril.
Different limits per occurrence can be purchased.

S.E.F. 27 – LEGAL LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO NON-OWNED AUTOMOBILES
Extends coverage for legal liability for loss or damage arising from the care, custody or control of any automobile not owned by the Insured. For example, coverage can be extended to a private passenger vehicle you rent anywhere in Canada & the U.S.
A deductible applies and the endorsement provides a limit on any one vehicle (which can be increased for an additional premium).

S.E.F. 35 – EMERGENCY SERVICE EXPENSE
Provides coverage for a specific amount per occurrence (depending on the Insurer) for towing and emergency service expenses if the insured vehicle is disabled.
*better off with AMA

S.E.F. 39 – ACCIDENT RATING WAIVER
Protects the renewal premium from increasing as a result of an at-fault accident involving the vehicle to which the endorsement applies.
Available to all private passenger vehicles with a principal operator who does not have any at-fault accidents within the past 6 years and does not have any moving traffic violations within the past 3 years (qualifications vary based on the insurance company).
*if offered this jump on it

S.E.F. 43 – LIMITED WAIVER OF DEPRECIATION
Applicable to newly purchased private passenger vehicles used for Pleasure or Business.
Waives the depreciation on repair or replacement for loss from an insured peril for a specified number of months (depending on the Insurer)
In order to apply, the insured must be the original owner/lessee and request the endorsement within 3 months of the purchase or lease.

****sef 44. Family Protection provides benefits to the Insured and family who claim for injury or death to another motorist who has insuffieciet insurance*****
**not optional!

This on on top of comp and collision.
Which have deductibles that are increasing.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 PM

Cross your T's and dot your i's. They asked what material the exterior of my house was? I said brick. Well theres brick lamenet, brick composet, masonry brick, etc etc. Solid masonery brick is $300 a year less than laminate.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM

We are discussing home insurance......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
S.E.F. 13D – COMPREHENSIVE COVER – LIMITED GLASS
Provides specified perils coverage for all glass on a vehicle and in addition vandalism to windows other than the front window. This endorsement generally reduces your Comprehensive premium by around 50%. Most policies with Comprehensive coverage have this endorsement on them as the cost to replace your windshield is usually around the same as the amount of your deductible. We add this limitation on to your policy so you do not need to pay for coverage on your glass when your deductible will cover the cost of the glass anyway. If you wish to cover your glass we can offer coverage through a specialized glass insurance company with much lower deductibles and reasonable rates.

*if you need glass there is a separate glass policy that has a $50 deductible.

S.E.F. 20 – LOSS OF USE
Provides for the rental of an automobile while the insured vehicle is out of use due to an insured peril.
Different limits per occurrence can be purchased.

S.E.F. 27 – LEGAL LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO NON-OWNED AUTOMOBILES
Extends coverage for legal liability for loss or damage arising from the care, custody or control of any automobile not owned by the Insured. For example, coverage can be extended to a private passenger vehicle you rent anywhere in Canada & the U.S.
A deductible applies and the endorsement provides a limit on any one vehicle (which can be increased for an additional premium).

S.E.F. 35 – EMERGENCY SERVICE EXPENSE
Provides coverage for a specific amount per occurrence (depending on the Insurer) for towing and emergency service expenses if the insured vehicle is disabled.
*better off with AMA

S.E.F. 39 – ACCIDENT RATING WAIVER
Protects the renewal premium from increasing as a result of an at-fault accident involving the vehicle to which the endorsement applies.
Available to all private passenger vehicles with a principal operator who does not have any at-fault accidents within the past 6 years and does not have any moving traffic violations within the past 3 years (qualifications vary based on the insurance company).
*if offered this jump on it

S.E.F. 43 – LIMITED WAIVER OF DEPRECIATION
Applicable to newly purchased private passenger vehicles used for Pleasure or Business.
Waives the depreciation on repair or replacement for loss from an insured peril for a specified number of months (depending on the Insurer)
In order to apply, the insured must be the original owner/lessee and request the endorsement within 3 months of the purchase or lease.

****sef 44. Family Protection provides benefits to the Insured and family who claim for injury or death to another motorist who has insuffieciet insurance*****
**not optional!

This on on top of comp and collision.
Which have deductibles that are increasing.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 PM

Has to be better than plastic. Friends main house burnt down last year and their rental prop on the far side was totally melted but nothing burnt down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Cross your T's and dot your i's. They asked what material the exterior of my house was? I said brick. Well theres brick lamenet, brick composet, masonry brick, etc etc. Solid masonery brick is $300 a year less than laminate.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
We are discussing home insurance......
Exactly !!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 PM

I'll second Drayden. Have 3 vehicles 2 houses and an acreage with house with them.