Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'd be interested in hearing what repairs you've had to do to it in those 12 years.
A/C compressor packed it in just after warranty,, other than that, just regular maintenance. Did oil and driveline fluids religiously, and had to replace weeping water pump and did rad flush and serpentine with idlers myself last summer while I was at it. Also replaced brake pad and rotors myself couple years ago. Rockauto prices makes it a no brainer to do it yourself. Cost of parts is almost half of local, then there's the beer cost as well. I have also done a lot of work on my wife's 02 4runner, the 4runner is in very nice shape. Wife gets notes on her windshield about every couple months asking to buy. Toyota's are quite easy to work on.

Last edited by TimeOff; 04-18-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM

Owned every brand out there...grew tired of the gimmicky gadgets the big 3 were throwing into a pickup truck...bought a 2014 Tundra and am very happy...not buying any truck for gas mileage...wanted something that works like a half ton truck and does it without techno tricks...solid, tough, dependable vehicle.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Default Buy A toyota Tundra!

Buy a Tundra, buy once, cry once!
The last ford I owned was a 89 F150, was an okay truck, but I told myself it would be the last ford I owned.

I have a 2015 Tundra SR5 Plus double cab 4x4 with the 5.7, and 8' box. As others have mentioned, they are a little more thirsty than other offerings.

I put a set of airbags under it, and it pulls my boat, and box full of cargo with no issues at all.

I don't have it lifted, or big tires, etc, if I set the cruise, and don't drive like it likes it's stold, I have gotten 25 mpg before.

It beats my 85 old dodge, that's for sure!

Look at the classifieds, more Fords than Toyota's for sale, and it seems the Toyota's have twice the milage, and still bring more money than the Fords??

Just my 02 $ worth
Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM

More ford for sale because many times more fords are sold every year.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
More ford for sale because many times more fords are sold every year.
Bingo!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Buy a Tundra, buy once, cry once!
The last ford I owned was a 89 F150, was an okay truck, but I told myself it would be the last ford I owned.

I have a 2015 Tundra SR5 Plus double cab 4x4 with the 5.7, and 8' box. As others have mentioned, they are a little more thirsty than other offerings.

I put a set of airbags under it, and it pulls my boat, and box full of cargo with no issues at all.

I don't have it lifted, or big tires, etc, if I set the cruise, and don't drive like it likes it's stold, I have gotten 25 mpg before.

It beats my 85 old dodge, that's for sure!

Look at the classifieds, more Fords than Toyota's for sale, and it seems the Toyota's have twice the milage, and still bring more money than the Fords??

Just my 02 $ worth
25 mpg???
Old 04-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Last Fall on 2 different trips to Calgary, and beyond Doing the the speed limit, 100kms/hr, using the cruise control, tonneau cover on truck bed. No air conditioning used for this trip, Hot summer day,+27 celcius, I averaged between 10.2 - 11.2 litres / 100kms there and back. So actually a little better than 25mpg, at the lower end, and 25 mpg at the upper end, etc. Better than I ever expected, keep in mind this was an empty truck box, not towing a trailer, etc.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Last Fall on 2 different trips to Calgary, and beyond Doing the the speed limit, 100kms/hr, using the cruise control, tonneau cover on truck bed. No air conditioning used for this trip, Hot summer day,+27 celcius, I averaged between 10.2 - 11.2 litres / 100kms there and back. So actually a little better than 25mpg, at the lower end, and 25 mpg at the upper end, etc. Better than I ever expected, keep in mind this was an empty truck box, not towing a trailer, etc.
Which truck
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I'ts probably the FORD engineers who suck so bad.
YUP The FORD F150 engineers should be SHOT with a BALL of there own SH*T ! Idiots they are ! RJ
Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 PM

Default Super duty

Hate F150 Fords !

But LOVE my 2016 F350 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Lariat ! RJ
Old 04-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Default changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is one more factor in play, Toyota does not make major changes every few years. They spend years developing a platform, and only bring out major changes after several years. Ford like GM is constantly making changes, and brings out a new platform every few years. That constant change does not give them enough time to do the same amount of testing , both for the actual parts, and for the assembly line techniques to install the new parts. If you are going to have constant change, you simply can't expect the reliability of a proven platform. No matter whether you look at consumer reports, Truedelta , or other rankings, the current Tundra is one of the most reliable vehicles ever built, and it hasn't seen major change since 2007.
I would think that's why Toyota only sells 120,000 versus Fords 1,000,000. You need to make changes to attract new customers as well as keep the life long!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
I would think that's why Toyota only sells 120,000 versus Fords 1,000,000. You need to make changes to attract new customers as well as keep the life long!
Toyota hasn't figured that out concerning their trucks. They have the reliability down pat. They haven't caught on to the fact people are like crows and raccoons, they like fashionable shiny things and soon get tired of the same old look. Most people won't admit it but most new vehicle sales are about vanity, fashion changes, people want the next cool looking thing for the lowest payment. That said f-150's are getting really dated, their basic exterior body style hasn't changed in decades.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Toyota hasn't figured that out concerning their trucks. They have the reliability down pat. They haven't caught on to the fact people are like crows and raccoons, they like fashionable shiny things and soon get tired of the same old look. Most people won't admit it but most new vehicle sales are about vanity, fashion changes, people want the next cool looking thing for the lowest payment. That said f-150's are getting really dated, their basic exterior body style hasn't changed in decades.
That is true, but then again, perhaps they don't want to give up the reliability, by introducing new changes every year like GM or Ford. There is no way to properly test new components and perfect manufacturing methods, if you are constantly making changes.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
That is true, but then again, perhaps they don't want to give up the reliability, by introducing new changes every year like GM or Ford. There is no way to properly test new components and perfect manufacturing methods, if you are constantly making changes.
Ford is testing constantly for for future production, don’t kid yourself!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Ford is testing constantly for for future production, don’t kid yourself!
Based on their reliability records, their testing isn't working all that well.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
Interesting numbers and let's say Toyota has 10% proportionately compared to ford for sales.

Look at the current Ritchie bros auctions. Ford is always the runaway winner in listings in the Parts/inoperable section.

This is the section where they are really popular compared to the rest. Currently they have 103 in that mess and Toyota has zero.

Kuduhntr purchased a 2015 Tundra. If you bought a ford f 150 today and sold it in 5 years his Tundra will be worth more than the 2020 f 150 will be and buyers would be lined up for the Tundra.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
This is the section where they are really popular compared to the rest. Currently they have 103 in that mess and Toyota has zero.
Pretty straightforward concept. When I was up in Fort Nelson, people would comment it was always the Fords leaving camp/site on the deck truck and how great Toyotas were. Looking around the site and camp parking lot, there were no Toyotas. So of course they weren't being hauled out, there were none to haul out. Same principle applies.

Last edited by Trochu; 04-20-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:29 PM

Trucks all depreciate at the same rate.

Toyota doesn't offer much for discounts off MSRP, and rarely do they have 0% financing - this all brings up the initial cost.

The big 3 usually discount up to 15% off MSRP and often have 0% financing. This brings down the initial cost.

If you factor this in to your resale value X years down the road you'll see you lose the same amount either way.

Now, if you buy your American truck at sticker price that's a different story.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:42 PM

I was really looking at the Toyota crewmax but it looks like they don’t offer it with a regular size box. About 6’5” or whatever it is. I really like the look of the GMC AT4. I still drive my 2006 f150 and it’s been a great truck.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Default Toyota tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
Which truck
Sorry, was my Tundra that I used for both trips down south of calgary and beyond.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Banned

Buddy i will advise you to get Ford with the tow, the tundra which 6 speeds wont be able to do what you want and tundra is no economical in terms of gas
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 PM

Honestly, both trucks have their problems. I have 2 friends who toyota techs. I asked them about their thoughts and they both said, almost verbatim, that the new toyotas are having leaf spring issues and some are having major valve issues. I seriously considered buying one but I looked at my 2013 f150 and said she has been pretty good to me and still has some years left in her. No need to go spend 65,000 on a truck only to have to spend an additional couple to just make it right.

But I am also biased. In the 20 years I have been driving only 1 vehicle has ever left me stranded through no fault of my own and that was the tacoma I had before my current truck. There was an issue with the manual transmission; it liked to eat slave cylinders out of no where. First time it happened I only had a 3km walk home and thought huh... the next 2 times I was not so lucky. The last one went after 3 months. My 96 GMC Got me in and out of anywhere I dared to go. My 2002 Chevy got towed a couple of times but those weren't the trucks fault and my current F150 has been good (thought i do hate Fords 4x4 system) it does get me out of where I need to go
Old 04-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Honestly, both trucks have their problems. I have 2 friends who toyota techs. I asked them about their thoughts and they both said, almost verbatim, that the new toyotas are having leaf spring issues and some are having major valve issues. I seriously considered buying one but I looked at my 2013 f150 and said she has been pretty good to me and still has some years left in her. No need to go spend 65,000 on a truck only to have to spend an additional couple to just make it right.

But I am also biased. In the 20 years I have been driving only 1 vehicle has ever left me stranded through no fault of my own and that was the tacoma I had before my current truck. There was an issue with the manual transmission; it liked to eat slave cylinders out of no where. First time it happened I only had a 3km walk home and thought huh... the next 2 times I was not so lucky. The last one went after 3 months. My 96 GMC Got me in and out of anywhere I dared to go. My 2002 Chevy got towed a couple of times but those weren't the trucks fault and my current F150 has been good (thought i do hate Fords 4x4 system) it does get me out of where I need to go
What engine year and size are having troubles? Same question with the leaf springs.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
What engine year and size are having troubles? Same question with the leaf springs.
Just look up Tacoma recalls you may find some of the problems they are having.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM

From what I read on the interweb approx 70% of all Fords sold in the last 15 years are still on the road. The rest made it home.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Just look up Tacoma recalls you may find some of the problems they are having.
Or you may find that there are no recalls for leaf springs or valves, for the current generation of the Tundra.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Or you may find that there are no recalls for leaf springs or valves, for the current generation of the Tundra.
Just frame and gas pedal issues...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Just frame and gas pedal issues...
I know many people with 2007 and newer Tundras, and not one had a frame replaced, or that knew anyone that had a frame replaced . My 2007 was inspected, and the entire frame was coated at no charge, but no damage was found. The accelerator pedal was also inspected, as a precaution, but again no issue was found. I still shake my head when I hear the story about the idiot in the Lexus that crashed, because he was too stupid to shift the transmission into neutral. He was on the phone with 911 for a considerable time, but was simply too clueless to think of this. And that incident is what started the panic over the accelerator pedals.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 PM

I just got home with our work truck. 2012 f-150 eccoboost. 15.2L/100km
This was rocky to niskunisku to north west Edmonton then to sundre
Back tock rocky. All km empty.
That is plain terrible mileage
My brand new 2019 gmc3500 dually gets 12.5 empty on the same trip.
This is also the millage this truck has gotten since day one.
Exept if you pull any kind of trailer. Then it is terrible really bad down to 40L/100km
List of repairs since new
17 coils
36 spark plugs
2 sets of exaust manifolds
4 rear diffs
1 transfercase
Cv axles
2 water pumps
Front hub and bearings
8 sets of brakes
Alternator
3 batteries
Cut out catilitic converters(nfg and $1600 to replace)
Rear doors rebuilt as the parts fall off inside and cant open them
Needs currently
Rear drivers door internals
Both exaust manifolds again
Water pump
Current km 340678

Would i ever own one? Not on your life
We have had 6-7 of these this is the last one(thank God)
Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I know many people with 2007 and newer Tundras, and not one had a frame replaced, or that knew anyone that had a frame replaced . My 2007 was inspected, and the entire frame was coated at no charge, but no damage was found. The accelerator pedal was also inspected, as a precaution, but again no issue was found. I still shake my head when I hear the story about the idiot in the Lexus that crashed, because he was too stupid to shift the transmission into neutral. He was on the phone with 911 for a considerable time, but was simply too clueless to think of this. And that incident is what started the panic over the accelerator pedals.
But remember Toyota did have an accelerator pedal problem that they covered up got caught and had to pay 1.2 BILLION in fines. I'm sure I pointed that out to you before in another thread.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...W8UjSAqalJjUH5