Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Default In chamber bore sight

Morning all.
Would you guys know where I could buy an in chamber bore sight for a 300 rum in the central Alberta area?
Thanks for any info
Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 AM

I have never had much luck with them,I use a bushnell professional boresighter,it always gets me on paper.They don't work very good with muzzle brakes thow(why do they put them on so tight you can't remove them)
If you have a good sturdy rest remove bolt and look threw bore and lineup with target then adjust scope to target at 25-50 yards,it usally gets me on paper when I have done it.
You could try Sportsmans Den or Wolverine in Red Deer if you really want a lazer one but 300 rum might be hard to find.
Good Luck
Old 07-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

You may have to wait a month but ebay or aliexpress.com might have some you can choose from.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:31 PM

Or just learn to boresight without tools.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
I have never had much luck with them,
snip
IMHO it is not a matter of luck, I just have never had any need for ANY bore sighting tool.
They are all problematic on many levels of cost and usage,
but most importantly, the radius of measurement is too small to be confident of accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
(If you have) Use and secure a good sturdy rest, remove bolt and look through bore and lineup with target, then adjust scope to target at 25-50 yards,it usually gets me on paper when I have done it.
snip
Good Luck
I agree with and use this procedure (as slightly amended), however
I would suggest bore sighting at as long a range as possible, (infinity is ideal), then fire one shot at 25-30 yds to test.
The ballistic trajectory of most common cartridges, combined with the typical height of the scope line of sight,
results in the ballistic trajectory crossing the scope line of sight, first at ~25-30 yds going up, then again at ~100 yds coming down.

Most ballistic calculators can solve an exact range for the cross on the way up, if given rifle and ballistic data and desired range for reticle zero, but many are (IIRC) near 28 yds, and I have never bothered to calculate my exact range of first crossing.
My range has a target board at 25 meters, so I just use that as it makes the scope correction calculations easier.

I recently sighted two new scopes on a single rifle using this bore sighting procedure.
First shots @ 25 with each scope were 3/4" apart, and third shots (2 & 3 @ 100) with both scopes were overlapping in the target center dot.
I figured improvement was unlikely, so quit while I was ahead and saved the targets with all range data noted.

For lever actions, and semi autos, I just estimate the bore alignment in the secure rest,
by sighting along the outside of the bore on all sides and estimating bore center line.
I do use a large sheet of paper for both the first shot at 25m and the next shot at 100m.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Default bore sigh

Hi if you relaod just knock out the primer and bore sigh threw the smaller hole,always works for me. I take one hunting in case i knock the scope off.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikybear View Post
Hi if you relaod just knock out the primer and bore sigh threw the smaller hole,always works for me. I take one hunting in case i knock the scope off.
Hey Now that's a good idea!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
That is so easy, it's almost too easy. I have a Bushnell bore sighter and a laser in bore sighter kit that I bought on a whim. They collect dust as I bore sight with my eyeballs. First full chamber, then tweak it with a casing and sight through the primer hole.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
staring through a primer hole at a tree trunk gets a scope 'knocked' off a rifle back on track?
good to know.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious as to "how you knock the scope off" I want to hear that story.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
staring through a primer hole at a tree trunk gets a scope 'knocked' off a rifle back on track?
good to know.
I suppose it has to do with how big the tree is.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
This. I boresite by pulling the bolt and looking down the bore and adjusting the crosshairs to match. My boresite is done at 100 yards and I'm on paper at 100 with the first shot. I wouldn't spend a dime on a laser bore sighter.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:38 AM

Default But!

But you'll spend money on devices to perfectly hold your rifle motionless while you make scope adjustments peering through the action?
Optical Grid Bore sighters have a place in diagnosing accuracy issues, scope mounting problems and are much more reliable when traveling to other countries to see how well your gear was treated. But laser ones for me, are not used often, just an assortment of hand gun cartridge laser rounds for sight installs and tweaking sears and watching trigger pulls and release.
To the OP, I've never personally seen a laser bore sighter for the .300 RUM, but an optical Bore sighter will work just fine.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
But you'll spend money on devices to perfectly hold your rifle motionless while you make scope adjustments peering through the action?
Optical Grid Bore sighters have a place in diagnosing accuracy issues, scope mounting problems and are much more reliable when traveling to other countries to see how well your gear was treated. But laser ones for me, are not used often, just an assortment of hand gun cartridge laser rounds for sight installs and tweaking sears and watching trigger pulls and release.
To the OP, I've never personally seen a laser bore sighter for the .300 RUM, but an optical Bore sighter will work just fine.
Is this directed at me? What devices are you talking about?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
This. I boresite by pulling the bolt and looking down the bore and adjusting the crosshairs to match. My boresite is done at 100 yards and I'm on paper at 100 with the first shot. I wouldn't spend a dime on a laser bore sighter.
Take this technique beyond 100 yds to say 200 yards and without fail you'll be hunt ready within a half dozen shots, that's if there isn't an issue with the HMI or the rifle of course.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Take this technique beyond 100 yds to say 200 yards and without fail you'll be hunt ready within a half dozen shots, that's if there isn't an issue with the HMI or the rifle of course.
You're right. Last week I mounted a scope on a rifle to do 400 yard ladder tests. The first shot was at 100 yards, the second shot was at 400 yards (on poster board). A quick measure with my reticle and I was dailed in for the 3rd shot. But the poster board and reticle made it super easy.

I've mounted many scopes. This technique works perfectly for me and it's free.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Is there a way to do this with a Browning BLR or Remington pump?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Nope.

But since the OP is talking bolt gun, the conversation is therefore confined to such rifles.

For closed up actions like the BLR, or a pump, simply centre the scope adjustments to mid range, and start at 25yds. on a large sized target
A 100yd. hunting zero shouldn't take but 6 to 8 shots if there isn't an HMI or rifle problem.

Boresighters, colimeters, lasers, or other gizmo's are another attempt at selling something to somebody who thinks they need something.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
correcting my previous post # 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
snip
For lever actions, pumps, and semi autos, I just estimate the bore alignment in the secure rest,
by sighting along the outside of the barrel on all sides and estimating bore center line.
I do use a large sheet of paper for both the first shot at 25m and the next shot at 100m.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 07-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
snip
Boresighters, colimeters, lasers, or other gizmo's are another attempt at selling something to somebody who thinks they need something.
I agree, they may have a useful purpose, but I have not discovered it.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM

I use methods similar to what Bubba and Qwert describe.

Sometimes, I drag my gun vise up from the basement and set it on the dining room table. I set up the gun so that if I look through the barrel I can see a streetlight that is about a mile from my place. I then adjust the scope so that the cross hairs are on the streetlight.
I find it best to do this at night with the lights off in the house.

Sometimes I use Qwert's "big piece of paper" method. I'll use the white side of some Christmas wrap to make a large target. If there are no big issues with your set up, you should be good to move out to 100yds after a couple of shots.

When sighting in for the first time, a large piece of paper is always a great idea.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:07 PM

I use a bore sighter to mount scopes. I have found that application invaluable.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Not sure how many times I bore sight ...two in the last two days ...over a year probably 20 - 30 changeovers. My routine::: Using white paper about 16" square with a bright dot about 1" in diameter, bore sight at 25M and fire one shot. Adjust the POA with the POI.
Move to a similar size paper @100M and fire one shot at a dot....adjust accordingly. Sometimes fire a second shot @ 100M to confirm elevation and windage.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Just did another one today. Installed the scope, then used the bipod and rear bag to steady the rifle while I made my adjustments. Shot 1 was 2 moa low at 100 yards.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 AM

I use my bore sighter to see how much MOA I have on some scopes that the turret doesn't stop on,its nice to know how much you have and where it stops.They are handy sometimes.I have a older one(Bushnell) that flares out with a turn of a nob and has 3 holding rods, a friend just bought a new one that has a rod for each caliber.Mine works better than his.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Bingo