Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Default dead whitefish lac la nonne

I was at lac la nonne today and counted 8 dead whitefish floating in random spots on the lake. 2 weekends ago I saw another 2 dead. whats the deal with that? whats causing it? concerns me.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Loss of oxygen...happens in wab and Ste Anne too...happens every year for the most part
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM

It's happened every year since I can remember.... Mother Nature hard at work (peak of algae bloom)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Tis' the season!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM

They saw you coming and were scared to death! Ha ha
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 PM

oh ok. glad its natural lol hopefully most dont die lol
Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Banned

Yeah, it happens every year. If you sit in the right spot at the right time you'll see them on the surface gulping down air.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 PM

here is a Quote

David
Then on Pigeon from 2010 die off
Dead fish in Pigeon Lake 'normal': biologist
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:38:00 MDT AM
Vince Burke

Staff writer

Hundreds of dead Whitefish seen floating along the shores of Pigeon Lake is apparently normal for this time a year.

That's according to an Alberta Fish and Wildlife fisheries biologist.

Jason Cooper, who is based out of Red Deer, and whose region includes Pigeon Lake, said nutrients seeping into the lake from area subdivisions and agricultural land help contribute to the natural summer die-off of fish.

He added that Whitefish are more susceptible to the die-off than many other species of fish.

'Pretty much normal': official

"It's pretty much normal. It happens every year about this time on Pigeon Lake," said Cooper. "They are more susceptible to the higher water temperatures, and lower oxygen levels."

Cooper said those nutrients, which also lead to the die-off, are mainly phosphorous, and nitrogen, commonly found in agricultural and lawn fertilizers.

"If they went to green sources, or possibly not applying that, it would probably help. It is hard to say," said Cooper.

"Any reduction would probably be a benefit."

Cooper said all these factors lead to algae blooms in the lake.

"On the August long-weekend, we had some pretty substantial algae blooms that were on the lake. I was out there camping with my family that weekend, and out fishing on the lake and I did notice in certain portions of the lake that there were some fairly big blooms," said Cooper.

"Then we had the die-off within days afterward. Our first reports were Aug. 5."

He said a couple hundred dead Whitefish is within the normal range, but in the past there have been thousands die off in a single season.

Cooper added that involves extreme cases.

Resident reaction

Although the die-off happens to different degrees every year, local resident Larry Fisk said this amount of dead fish is not normal.

"Anybody who said this is normal, that's absurd," said Fisk.

"It is becoming normal because of the development around the lake. Given the amount of development that is going to increase, it would sort of be a shame if people though that this was normal. It is not normal."

"The worst was back in 2006/2007, when there was some real substantial die-offs, when fish (deaths) got into the thousands, but it was all Whitefish," said Cooper.

Cooper said the dead fish don't pose a risk to disrupting the future fish stocks in Pigeon Lake.

"In terms of Whitefish, densities are normally pretty high," he said.

"It is more of a nuisance for the public when you are dealing with thousands of (dead) fish along the shoreline. The smell is a lot greater and it is a lot more of a nuisance."

- vburke

@wetaskiwintimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge View Post
I was at lac la nonne today and counted 8 dead whitefish floating in random spots on the lake. 2 weekends ago I saw another 2 dead. whats the deal with that? whats causing it? concerns me.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 PM

Great post speckle55. Hopefully the nutrient issue that plagues so many Alberta lakes gets dealt with. I think to many people are complacent about the blue green algae blooms. They are not natural and are a product of too much development around our lakes.