Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Default Devil's (Matchayaw) Lake

Hi All - I am new here...

I am also new to fishing. My son (6) is really wanted to fish so as a good dad, Ill get into it as well. I am spent an immense amount of time reading and talking to people, got some basic equipment etc and are ready to go.

We were camping at Thunder Lake last weekend and he wanted to fish so we went out knowing that the lake is basically dead.

I am taking him out to Devil's Lake by Onoway as I understand it is a pretty good lake for Perch and Pike so hopefully he can land his first fish.

I was wondering if anyone has experience on this lake? Tips to pass on for perch and pike? etc

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:31 PM

It's been a number of years since I've been out there. I've never caught a perch out of that lake either, but numerous walleye were caught.
Just troll or cast along the reeds north of the launch. And head to the north-west corner and do the same thing.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Unfortunately it used to be good for perch. Not so much anymore, thanks to the many blabber-mouths the hordes showed up and cleaned out the big ones, and then it had a bad winter. Not a complete kill but knocked the population down significantly.

There are still some fish in there but I wouldn’t take a kid there

Go to pigeon or lac st Anne, jig and minnow, catch as many walleye as you want. Will probably have to release them unless there are still some tags available, check the relm site.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 PM

I can’t speak for summer fishing but we took our local Scout troop out there ice fishing last winter and caught a few pike in the couple hours we were there. Also had a camera down one hole and saw a few more there. It was great to see some of these kids who had never caught a fish before get that experience.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Fantastic day fishing at Devils Lake. There for about 5 hours, caught 11 Pike and my son had a blast. He caught 5, my dad caught 4 and I caught 2. 2 keepers (both 65cm), three really small and 6 were 59-62cm. Just shy of regs.

Pulled one in on the second cast of the day. Biting hard all day and was really a lot of fun. Great for my son to catch his first fish.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Great to hear!!!

Hope you make it out again, sounds like your son is “hooked”.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:39 PM

Take your little guy to pigeon lake...walleye by the boat load (can’t keep them though)